PLAYER Ezra Mam

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Well I guess posting a video from 12 months ago, before he signed his big contract kind of proves my point I guess...
If we're talking about effort, who is one of the first players there on the kick chase, tackling fullbacks? Ezra.

Who is chasing blokes on line breaks even from the other side of the field? Ezra.

Someone makes a break up the guts, who is streaking up next to him in support? Ezra.

Few weeks ago he dropped Lindsay Collins on our line 3m out in the second half just before the game went to shit. Big man to drop that close to the line and he did well.

He's got deficiencies in his defence - Blaze Talagi embarrased him twice with a step. But we don't pick him for his defense, he's a half. Halves are there to setup points and move your team around. Being great defensively is gravy. This is where having a great 2nd Rower and Centre on either side is vitally important. Capes could handle it, Piakura cannot (yet). Why do you think Piakura got hooked in the titan's game? It's HIS job to back Ezra up.

Luke Brooks was a turnstile for 5+ years. He's not much better today. Ben Hunt has long averaged around 4 missed per game and always is around the top 10 missed each year. Keary has had some pretty piss poor years - again, not that much better today. Katoa and Burton last year were right up there and didn't play any finals.

Ezra needs to do better - but questioning his effort is very telling of your motivation as he gives it everything. He is one of those players always putting in the 1%ers. His defensive reads not withstanding.

He's also starting from zero defensively with two new players next to him struggling to build combinations and trust in defense. Check out our Left four this year so far:

Rd 1 - Patty in for Piakura in the first Minute.
Rd 2 - First full game with the preferred 4 on Left.
Rd 3 - Cobbo gone to Fullback - last Walsh 3rd? minute. Staggs shifts over after Baker? fails to cover. Absolute shit show ensues.
Rd 4 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura.
Rd 5 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura. (Storm starting to raid our Left constantly due to Hunt being identified as a big weakness)
Rd 6 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura. Oates swaps with Arthars due to Mariner out.
Rd 7 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura. Oates swaps with Arthars due to Mariner out.
Rd 8 - Piakura back. Oates still on the wing. Jock in - Mam out injured.
Rd 9 - Finally back to first choice line up on left. Arthars goes down with a broken jaw.
Rd 10 - Oates in for Arthars.
Rd 11 - Karapani in for Cobbo who goes to FB. Oates on Wing.
Rd 12 - Cobbo plays other side, Karapani in again. Oates on Wing.

So exactly 1 full game in 12 rounds with our first choice Left side. Hardly any wonder they are struggling for consistency and trust. Teams are onto this and targetting it heavily, which exposes even more problems.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
If we're talking about effort, who is one of the first players there on the kick chase, tackling fullbacks? Ezra.

Who is chasing blokes on line breaks even from the other side of the field? Ezra.

Someone makes a break up the guts, who is streaking up next to him in support? Ezra.

Few weeks ago he dropped Lindsay Collins on our line 3m out in the second half just before the game went to shit. Big man to drop that close to the line and he did well.

He's got deficiencies in his defence - Blaze Talagi embarrased him twice with a step. But we don't pick him for his defense, he's a half. Halves are there to setup points and move your team around. Being great defensively is gravy. This is where having a great 2nd Rower and Centre on either side is vitally important. Capes could handle it, Piakura cannot (yet). Why do you think Piakura got hooked in the titan's game? It's HIS job to back Ezra up.

Luke Brooks was a turnstile for 5+ years. He's not much better today. Ben Hunt has long averaged around 4 missed per game and always is around the top 10 missed each year. Keary has had some pretty piss poor years - again, not that much better today. Katoa and Burton last year were right up there and didn't play any finals.

Ezra needs to do better - but questioning his effort is very telling of your motivation as he gives it everything. He is one of those players always putting in the 1%ers. His defensive reads not withstanding.

He's also starting from zero defensively with two new players next to him struggling to build combinations and trust in defense. Check out our Left four this year so far:

Rd 3 - Cobbo gone to Fullback - last Walsh 3rd? minute. Staggs shifts over after Baker? fails to cover. Absolute shit show ensues.
Rd 5 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura. (Storm starting to raid our Left constantly due to Hunt being identified as a big weakness)
Rd 6 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura. Oates swaps with Arthars due to Mariner out.
Rd 7 - Hunt in for Injured Piakura. Oates swaps with Arthars due to Mariner out.
Rd 9 - Finally back to first choice line up on left. Arthars goes down with a broken jaw.

So exactly 1 full game in 12 rounds with our first choice Left side. Hardly any wonder they are struggling for consistency and trust. Teams are onto this and targetting it heavily, which exposes even more problems.
Talking about defence. That's all. Didn't mention effort in attack or 1%ers. Just pointing out that he has missed the most tackles in the comp and has the worst tackle efficiency of every starting 5/8 in the comp by a margin.

There's no bad motivations on my part, as much as the concept of such a thing is completely ridiculous on an anonymous fan forum.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022

Also leading the comp for line breaks conceded.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Talking about defence. That's all. Didn't mention effort in attack or 1%ers. Just pointing out that he has missed the most tackles in the comp and has the worst tackle efficiency of every starting 5/8 in the comp by a margin.

There's no bad motivations on my part, as much as the concept of such a thing is completely ridiculous on an anonymous fan forum.
So your whole point in this is that he gives you “post big contract Milford vibes” because of his effort in defence, not attack and the 1%ers? So you think he has gone “yep I have made my money now so I am still going to try my guts out in attack, kick chase, covering defence and everything else but be lazy in defensive reads because that’s the real exhausting stuff”

Dig up mate.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
So your whole point in this is that he gives you “post big contract Milford vibes” because of his effort in defence, not attack and the 1%ers? So you think he has gone “yep I have made my money now so I am still going to try my guts out in attack, kick chase, covering defence and everything else but be lazy in defensive reads because that’s the real exhausting stuff”

Dig up mate.
Lol no not really. Your putting words in my mouth. Just saying he has not defended as well this year at all. He was defending quite well at the end of last season but that seems to have dropped since signing his new contract.

Perhaps you hit the nail on the head - possibly focusing too much on one side of football and might need to save some energy for his defence.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Lol no not really. Your putting words in my mouth. Just saying he has not defended as well this year at all. He was defending quite well at the end of last season but that seems to have dropped since signing his new contract.

Perhaps you hit the nail on the head - possibly focusing too much on one side of football and might need to save some energy for his defence.
No that isn’t what you said, you are finessing what you originally wrote after it’s being pointed out how stupid it was. I will leave it there but you tell yourself whatever you need to.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

No one is putting words into your mouth ... You have said repeatedly and I quote ... Mam has a "LACK OF EFFORT"

That is what people are taking umbrage to o

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
He's got two new guys either side of him this year on that edge. He's getting isolated more compared to last year. He's missing Capewell. The loss of Capewell has been bigger than what some people think. To say a half's missed tackles are all on them is a bit unfair. The whole edge needs to work together.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Hey what do you guys think about running big players at smaller defenders?

Seems like something that would work really well

He doesn`t get run over ...
He get`s run around , past or goes low and slips off . During the week teams are rehearsing how to get Ezra into a lateral movement , then tackle situation .
They know Piakura gets gassed and doesn`t pressure from the inside like he should and Ezra can be isolated then ran around , past or get him tackling low and ineffectively . If he hangs on its a legs tackle and a quick PTB .
This is the next level of development . Having better team work and being able to over come those tactics .
If Riki was beside him I don`t think it would be quite the same .

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
No that isn’t what you said, you are finessing what you originally wrote after it’s being pointed out how stupid it was. I will leave it there but you tell yourself whatever you need to.
okay lol, I guess i will finish too. Lacks defensive effort evidenced by the most missed tackles in the comp, worst tackle efficiency and most line brakes conceded for his position - Needs to step it up to earn 800k per year in my view.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • pennywisealfie
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.