NEWS Last-minute call-up creates magical memory for debutant Karapani

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BHQArticleImageLarge48

It was a last-minute dash across the ditch, but Brisbane Broncos debutant Josiah Karapani was able to have his family watch him play his first game in the NRL.

The Magic Round memory was made extra special with it also being the first game his loved ones had been able to see him play live in three years, with Karapani having moved away from New Zealand to pursue his rugby league dreams.

“Getting the call-up yesterday [Thursday], it was a last-minute call … I'm just happy that my family got to come over and finally watch me play,” Karapani told NRL.com following Brisbane's 13-12 win over the Sea Eagles.

“It's their first time watching me play since I moved to Australia three years ago and they get to watch me make my debut for Broncos.

“I think about 12 (family members flew over) … last minute; 6am, I got my little sister from New Zealand, I bought her flights.

“My aunty organised flights as well and the Broncos got accommodation for my Nan and Grandpa, so they flew them over … my sister and girlfriend (were here) as well.”

Karapani grew up in Auckland playing union and league as a Otahuhu Leopards junior, catching the eye of the Warriors where he played SG Ball. COVID-19 then changed his life plans, moving to play in Australia after joining with the Rabbitohs, before switching to the Broncos where he was elevated to their top 30 squad earlier this year.

“It's been great ever since (coming to Brisbane), I think this is probably the best year I've ever had of training and preparation, how I am feeling, everything on and off the field. It’s been good,” Karapani said.

Starting the season with affiliate club Burleigh in the Hostplus Cup, Karapani has been playing on the wing for the Bears, scoring six tries in his eight games. However, he slotted in seamlessly at centre in his NRL debut, filling in for Selwyn Cobbo who had made the late switch to fullback for the injured Reece Walsh.

“I usually play wing with Bears because it's the best position they can put me in for the team and it's whatever the coach feels like would be best for the team,” Karapani said.

“But I've been training NRL every day in the centres, so I'll be defending Kotoni [Staggs] and (the Broncos backs) keep me in check and it helped me, and I reckon it helped me throughout this game as well.

“(After starting with the Bears) I have got advice from the coaches saying I need to get more involved and I did that and Kevin's (Broncos coach Kevin Walters) been happy with where I've been going and that's why he trusted me. He thought I could back it up … when Walshy got injured.

“Hopefully, coach is happy with the way I went, despite the late call.”

Karapani need not stress, with Walters saying after the game he was pleased with the youngster's readiness to step into the role for the team, despite the rushed preparations.

“Great performance from him, and this is where the Queensland Cup comes into the fore, because his form there has been really good,” Walters said.

“While it’s a step up in class here, I thought he was outstanding, particularly his carries.

“When Patty [Carrigan] and his gang got tired, he put his hand up, particularly in the first half and at halftime he was pretty fatigued from the work he got through.”

NRL.com

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Thought he was impressive, his footwork is nuts, playing centre hides it but if he played wing he seems to be the type of player who has too much speed to burn.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Yeah thought he looked outstanding for a debut. As mentioned that left edge got bathed late in the second half but he showed some great attributes.

During the game I actually checked if he’d played a few NRL games at the rabbits because he looked so comfortable

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.