2018 FIFA World Cup

Can't help but feel Cahill would have buried one of those crosses.

Arguably our best finisher and we don't play him. Who cares if he is old? He has shown he still has some magic in him.

So to get through to the next stage, Australia has to beat Peru, France has to beat Denmark, and at least one of these has to be by more than 1?

Yeah, France or Denmark have to win by 2 goals and we have to beat Peru.

Unless we beat Peru by more than 1 goal.

In which case, France or Denmark only have to win by 1.

Scratch that, forgot France hasn't played Peru. Let's hope for a draw.

Okay, if France and Peru draw, we can go through on a 1-0 win against Peru provided Denmark or France win by no less than 2 goals.

If France beat Peru 1-0 and we beat Peru 1-0, we have to hope France beat Denmark 2-0.

Christian Eriksen voted MOTM.

Edit: Pointless

Last edited by a moderator:
A Peru win here would be pretty great.

It's called live commentary. I was watching the game. Is soccer immune to criticism because a thread is dedicated to it? Remember that in the Live Game threads when you read through it next time. I expect consistency!

You are welcome to your opinion, and I will make sure you're allowed it. Continue within the rules, I will sort this out.

The fascination with Cahill is more to do with the fact that juric is pure trash.

I can understand nabbout playing, I see what he brings, can understand McLaren getting a few mins, and Cahill is Cahill even if hes only an aerial threat, but juric offers absolutely nothing.

What is the fascination with Cahill?

He's only good for a set piece these days.

We aren't going to win the thing, so having our best player joining elite company and scoring in 4 consecutive World Cups would be our best result.

So to get through to the next stage, Australia has to beat Peru, France has to beat Denmark, and at least one of these has to be by more than 1?
What's the likely hood of that happening? I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I've been getting more interested lately

If I am reading this correctly it means Aus beat Peru 1 - 0 or better and France beat Denmark to 0 then we will go through.
For every goal Denmark score we need to beat Peru by 1 more .
After that work it out as you see fit, warning, it will make your head hurt.

5. The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches. If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) greater number of points obtained in the fair play conduct of the teams based on yellow and red cards received in all group matches as follows: – yellow card: minus 1 point – indirect red card: minus 3 points (as a result of a second yellow card) – direct red card: minus 4 points – yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points Only one of the above deductions shall be applied to a player in a single match;

h) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

Last edited:
If I am reading this correctly it means Aus beat Peru 1 - 0 or better and France beat Denmark to 0 then we will go through.
For every goal Denmark score we need to beat Peru by 1 more .

Correct

As it stands, this is the table
France 6 points GD +2
Denmark 4 points GD +1
Australia 1 Point GD -1
Peru 0 points GD -2

In order for us to qualify;
France must beat Denmark. Margin is important, but not as important as the overall result. If France win, we have a chance, if France fail to win, we are fucked.

Subsequently the margin of victory then becomes critical in determining whether we qualify.

If France wins 1-0, Denmark have a GD of 0, assuming we also win 1-0 we also have a GD of 0. However, as we would have scored 3 goals to Denmarks 2 (Australia, Peru), we would go through.
If France wins 2-1, and Australia wins 1-0, Denmark goes through on GD of +1 to our 0
Insert other scenarios here.

You're correct in saying our margin of victory needs to be greater than France's margin of victory unless they are kept to zero, which I think is honestly quite plausible. France is a better team than Denmark and while they haven't been convincing, nor have Denmark. Except France has some quality options available whereas Denmark have very few.

I don't think Messi should have come out of retirement.

He doesn't look like he is enjoying it out there. He looks done mentally.

Argentina now have to beat Nigeria and hope that Iceland don't win their next 2 games.

Their -3 GD is going to **** them in the end, IMO. They can win their next game 1-0 and still go through but they would need Croatia to flog Iceland by at least 4 goals if Iceland beat Nigeria 1-0.

Argentina need a big performance against Nigeria.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • marw
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • TimWhatley
  • Behold
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kman
  • Nerd
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Mustafur
  • Footy Fanatic
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 51 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.