2019 Origin Discussion

2019: Cameron Smith to come out of retirement to play State of Origin.
2020: Darius Boyd to come out of retirement to play State of Origin.
2022:Andrew McCullough to come out of retirement to play State of Origin.
Don’t worry, we are in safe hands :)

Why are you lumping Smith in with Boyd and Macca?????

So, who do we all think that Freddie will go with at right centre for the Blues? I'm also interested to see which way he'll go with the bench & halves. @Big Pete would love to know your thoughts.

I think (at this stage, it changes on a weekly basis) this is where Fittler is heading at the moment -

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Hopoate
5. Ferguson
6. Keary
7. Cleary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner (c)
12. Frizell
13. Trbojevic

14. Wighton
15. Crichton
16. Murray
17. McLean

There's talk of many players for that right centre spot, Wighton, Cotric, J.Morris, Gutherson, Staggs, Peachey.. For me the answer is quite obvious, Hopoate is a natural right centre, still only 27 years old, he's played at the Origin level before, he's sound defensively, not afraid to take a hard run out of his own end and arguably the best passing outside back in the game. He's been without question the Bulldogs best player for the last 2 seasons, and I think he's gone from overrated to underrated in the space of 3 or 4 years. Thoughts?

So, who do we all think that Freddie will go with at right centre for the Blues? I'm also interested to see which way he'll go with the bench & halves. @Big Pete would love to know your thoughts.

I think (at this stage, it changes on a weekly basis) this is where Fittler is heading at the moment -

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Hopoate
5. Ferguson
6. Keary
7. Cleary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner (c)
12. Frizell
13. Trbojevic

14. Wighton
15. Crichton
16. Murray
17. McLean

There's talk of many players for that right centre spot, Wighton, Cotric, J.Morris, Gutherson, Staggs, Peachey.. For me the answer is quite obvious, Hopoate is a natural right centre, still only 27 years old, he's played at the Origin level before, he's sound defensively, not afraid to take a hard run out of his own end and arguably the best passing outside back in the game. He's been without question the Bulldogs best player for the last 2 seasons, and I think he's gone from overrated to underrated in the space of 3 or 4 years. Thoughts?
Wighton centre, Staggs bench
I am a Keary fan but I think they will go with Walker
[automerge]1557827107[/automerge]
Why are you lumping Smith in with Boyd and Macca?????

I am saying that after Smith we are doomed

Last edited:

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Hopoate
5. Ferguson
6. Keary
7. Cleary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner (c)
12. Frizell
13. Trbojevic

14. Wighton
15. Crichton
16. Murray
17. McLean

Or would he give Jarrod Croker a crack, he's been on the cusp for a while?
Josh Morris would be a safe bet defensively.

I would sign Crocker in a heartbeat, so consistent, leader, and one of the best kickers in the NRL

The Smith comeback rumours aren't going away despite him flat out denying any comeback.

Perhaps there is something in it, perhaps it's all rubbish. Personally, I don't think he should. I agree with him, QLD need to move on.

Let's start off with the Game III 2018 side

1. James Tedeso
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. James Roberts
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. James Maloney
7. Nathan Cleary
8. David Klemmer
9. Damien Cook
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jack de Belin
15. Tariq Sims
16. Angus Crichton
17. Tyrone Peachey

Of those T. Trobojevic and de Belin are definitely out. I'd say Trbojevic's right-wing spot is up for grabs and while Ferguson would be a no-brainer there, I'm not sure if Freddy will be willing to overlook the snub earlier in the year. Freddy is big on team unity and given Fergo's past indiscretion's and how they've hurt team morale I wouldn't be surprised to see him look elsewhere. My smokey would be Campbell Graham for the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Very similar player to Tom Trbojevic but an incredibly strong runner that can play on either side of the field with little worry. He strikes me as somebody who will be in the Blues system for a long time and he's been in good form the past 18 months. Cotric is the other option and I reckon he's in the box-seat for Freddy. Has that X-Factor that Freddy looks for in his backs and he was right in the frame for last year's series. With Turbo out, he may feel like he owes Nick.

I find it difficult to read which way Freddy was leaning with his right centre. Last year I think he just took a punt on Robbo after that performance against Sydney last year and got away with it. This year I had the impression he was leaning towards playing Jack Bird there and if that's the case, then I don't think he'd be against Wighton playing in the centres. If you listen to Gus, he's Freddy's mouthpiece and it was interesting to hear the tip last year from Gus about Wighton playing in the centres. I think Freddy wanted to give him a serious look there but since he was at fullback/getting in trouble with the law, they didn't have that luxury. I think now that he's defending in the front-line, it makes the move a little easier to imagine and like last year, I think Freddy would be willing to gamble and reward form here. There's little doubt that Wighton has been one of the form players of the competition.

Freddy wasn't keen on Maloney last year, but his form was too irristible and there was that game against the Dragons that cemented his spot in the side. Before that weekend, he had his heart set on Keary and I think you'll find Keary/Cleary as the halves. Keary/Walker is a possibility because I don't think Freddy is afraid to throw the dice, but I'd sooner believe Keary/Cleary or Walker/Reynolds than Keary/Walker.

The forward pack should remain the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bench largely stayed intact even on form. At the start of the year, I would have had Pangai Jr as the short odds price favourite of taking de Belin's spot on the bench but his form has suffered so much I'm not sure if Freddy is willing to buck the trend there. I reckon he'll go with Murray. The prop rotation is pretty interesting and I'm sure Freddy is going to leave it to the last minute before he decides on one. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me for one second if he threw Campbell-Gillard a lifeline with the idea that he's great off the bench and Freddy still has a love for Penrith players. Same deal for Tyrone Peachey, even though he obviously originated from the Cronulla junior systems and is playing on the Gold Coast, I think he'll be shown more leeway than the fans have given him. If not, I see either Victor Radley or even Mitchell Aubusson getting the nod as the team utility.

So my guess

1. James Tedeso
2. Nick Cotric
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Jack Wighton
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Luke Keary
7. Nathan Cleary
8. David Klemmer
9. Damien Cook
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cameron Murray
15. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
16. Angus Crichton
17. Tyrone Peachey

Or would he give Jarrod Croker a crack, he's been on the cusp for a while?
Josh Morris would be a safe bet defensively.

I find it doubtful that Fittler will go for two left centres which would rule out both Croker and Morris.

You couldn't really move Mitchell to the right to accommodate them.

It would be either Wighton or Peachey. But I wouldn't rule out Ramien. He hasn't been getting much quality ball at the Knights, but he has shown exactly what he can do. He's a powerful runner that can turn it on in attack and those are the kind of players Fittler likes. He could be a smokey if he's in good form going into the series.

There is an article in the CM saying that time is running out for McGuire to push his claim for the hooker spot.

To be honest, I could think of worse options. He could fill in at hooker while Arrow goes back to lock instead of playing in the front row.

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Morgan
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Milford
8. Napa
9. Hunt
10. Papalii
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Mahoney
15. Joffa
16. Welch
17. Fifita

I’d be going something like that if DCE, McGuire, Norman, Macca, etc are all unavailable.

I find it doubtful that Fittler will go for two left centres which would rule out both Croker and Morris.

You couldn't really move Mitchell to the right to accommodate them.

It would be either Wighton or Peachey. But I wouldn't rule out Ramien. He hasn't been getting much quality ball at the Knights, but he has shown exactly what he can do. He's a powerful runner that can turn it on in attack and those are the kind of players Fittler likes. He could be a smokey if he's in good form going into the series.

I agree about Ramien, definitely a smokey.

Last edited:
I think we're going to lose Payne Haas to Origin.

It sounds like origin could seriously impact us this year as well

Gillett and Oates certainties for Qld
Haas looks a serious chance for NSW along with TPJ and Lodge
Also Offa and Fifita look like a chance for QLD

Not to mention some of the incumbents from last year falling away... notably RCG, opening up spots in the team
Debelin and Rcg will have to be replaced but the rest I think will get first crack. I doubt Fittler will pick TPJ or Haas .
I reckon Victor Radley and Cam Murray are big chances. Even if he picks Tpj its no biggie for our pack IMO.

Gilett gets picked for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Scott gets a recall ahead of Joe O . Even Coen Hess has found some form .
Oates is certain and possibly Milf .

As far as Cody Walker goes if he isn't selected it could affect him and if he is selected it's his first time and has to back up plus his form is insane atm so probably unsustainable particularly after an origin campaign, just my theory anyway.

This is a bit left field but I wonder If Segyaro could find himself in a Qld jersey if McGuire is out.
Hunt to start but gives us cover in the halves and Segyaro gives us a spark late in the game.

This is a bit left field but I wonder If Segyaro could find himself in a Qld jersey if McGuire is out.
Hunt to start but gives us cover in the halves and Segyaro gives us a spark late in the game.

If he plays well the next few weeks I see no reason why not. Kev will be very keen for experience there and someone reliable.

Active Now

• broncs30
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • mrslong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • Santa
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Redux
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Justwin
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.