NEWS Bennett turns up heat on Broncos

Bennett has done this before, in 2007 he went with the plan for Lockyer to retire 2010 and come in as assistant 2012 and take over as coach 2013 and Bennett be the assistant moving forward and the board rejected it.

Board didn't want a plan that involved committing to Bennett for another five years given he'd just attempted to screw the place by leaving for the Roosters in the dead of night.

Exactly but I'm not the one going all in suggesting people should be fired from the board based on garbage spewed out by the media... who also don't appear to know shit.
Um when did i say anything about sacking?? Your just assuming that!

Last edited:
Um when did i say anything about sacking?? Your just assuming that!

So wayne is going to outline a succession plan at the next board meeting ?? Shouldn't the board be doing this?? Am really starting to think we are on a gradual fall from grace , and wondering if locky shouldn't be apart of recruitment or maroons selection panel.

So lose his job but not be sacked?

As I'm sure "Tom" can vouch for, I've said several times I'm in favor of Bennett staying for next year but not beyond. That was before Bellamy re-signed with Melbourne. But Phil Gould has a point. What is the point of keeping him around next year if he and everyone else knows he won't be around in 2020? Just marking time for a year? Obviously financial considerations given the club would have to pay him out and a new coach for next year but I wonder if Bennett could be moved on to be some kind of coaching director for next year and then depending on how that works out, be kept on in that position beyond next year. And if he rejected that, if the club would still have to pay him out.

As I'm sure "Tom" can vouch for, I've said several times I'm in favor of Bennett staying for next year but not beyond. That was before Bellamy re-signed with Melbourne. But Phil Gould has a point. What is the point of keeping him around next year if he and everyone else knows he won't be around in 2020? Just marking time for a year? Obviously financial considerations given the club would have to pay him out and a new coach for next year but I wonder if Bennett could be moved on to be some kind of coaching director for next year and then depending on how that works out, be kept on in that position beyond next year. And if he rejected that, if the club would still have to pay him out.

Are you still having a sook that I called out your contradictions?

What is the point of keeping him around next year if he and everyone else knows he won't be around in 2020? Just marking time for a year?

the point is that we won't have to be rushed into making a decision on his replacement. we can make the best appointment

the point is that we won't have to be rushed into making a decision on his replacement. we can make the best appointment

Exactly. Some peoples agendas against the super coach cause them to ask stupid questions. What could well happen is Seibold for example could have 2 excellent years with Souths and we could have a shot at getting him. It makes perfect sense to keep Bennett around. There isnt anyone better to take over currently.

Exactly. Some peoples agendas against the super coach cause them to ask stupid questions. What could well happen is Seibold for example could have 2 excellent years with Souths and we could have a shot at getting him. It makes perfect sense to keep Bennett around. There isnt anyone better to take over currently.

Unfortunately, just like our halves!

So you are in favor of the team merely "marking time" for next year. Fair enough. I never said I'm against that. Just that when Phil Gould mentioned it, it made sense for me even though I have stated several times previously (Not sure how many times but Tom knows) I'm in favor of keeping Bennett for next near. Of course the danger in merely "marking time" is the good chance of actually slipping backward.

Good point, Rover. Unfortunately Seibold is in negotiations to extend his contract with Souths. My point has long been that there is no reason the club can't find it's own rookie coach who goes on to much bigger and better things. I know many people are going to come back and scream "Henjack" and "Griffin" but IMO they weren't that bad. The former didn't much of a chance the latter obviously isn't a bad coach.

So you are in favor of the team merely "marking time" for next year. Fair enough. I never said I'm against that. Just that when Phil Gould mentioned it, it made sense for me even though I have stated several times previously (Not sure how many times but Tom knows) I'm in favor of keeping Bennett for next near. Of course the danger in merely "marking time" is the good chance of actually slipping backward.

Good point, Rover. Unfortunately Seibold is in negotiations to extend his contract with Souths. My point has long been that there is no reason the club can't find it's own rookie coach who goes on to much bigger and better things. I know many people are going to come back and scream "Henjack" and "Griffin" but IMO they weren't that bad. The former didn't much of a chance the latter obviously isn't a bad coach.

what i'm not in favor of is getting someone worse, just for the sake of it ...

having the greatest coach in the history of the game is hardly "marking time"

Last edited:
what i'm not in favor of is getting someone worse, just for the sake of it ...

having the greatest coach in the history of the game is hardly "marking time"
Firstly, would I be too abrasive if I asked you to leave the "greatest coach in the history of the game" and other warm, fuzzy rhetoric that can't be taken seriously for Tom, Rover, lockeysillegitatechild and etc? It may be true, may be not and can only be a matter of opinion.
But having said that, if he is "the greatest coach in the history of the game" no matter how good a new rookie coach is, he is still going to be worse so wouldn't getting a new coach sooner rather than later mitigate the inevitable damage? Not saying that's my opinion. I'm undecided.

Firstly, would I be too abrasive if I asked you to leave the "greatest coach in the history of the game" and other warm, fuzzy rhetoric that can't be taken seriously for Tom, Rover, lockeysillegitatechild and etc? It may be true, may be not and can only be a matter of opinion.
But having said that, if he is "the greatest coach in the history of the game" no matter how good a new rookie coach is, he is still going to be worse so wouldn't getting a new coach sooner rather than later mitigate the inevitable damage? Not saying that's my opinion. I'm undecided.

Do you recall Henjak and Griffin? And how well that went last time the Broncos were rushed into a decision after they couldn't get Bellamy?

Do you recall Henjak and Griffin? And how well that went last time the Broncos were rushed into a decision after they couldn't get Bellamy?
Firstly, I'm undecided on the issue. Just saying if one gives it cool thought, one can see the logic of Phil Gould's basic premise. Not necessarily to be trusted. He is a smart guy. No question. Is he trying to push the club into signing Bennett for 2020 and beyond, trying to get him sacked at the end of this season or just being honest?

I specifically addressed Henjack and Griffin on the previous page of this thread.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Horseheadsup
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • BooKhaki
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.