NEWS Bennett turns up heat on Broncos

I highly doubt there are no better options than Kodi in the ISC for the halfback position.

Hehe.

Yep plenty of ISC halves have test match experience. Or NRL Grand Final experience.

Mate - we gotta face facts. Nikorima is the best halfback at the moment.

We cannot play the sad, old game of 'they're not playing consistently in reserve grade but let's give them a shot anyway.'

Remember Strasser? The names and faces change but the game is still the same.

Hehe.

Yep plenty of ISC halves have test match experience. Or NRL Grand Final experience.

We cannot play the sad, old game of 'they're not playing consistently in reserve grade but let's give them a shot anyway.'

Lets not get carried away here, the state the New Zealand spine has been in recent years has seen Kodi selected and on form he shouldn't even be playing in the test over in the US but the absentee of key players has seen to that, any real halves depth he wouldn't be there.

Form wise and what he has brought to the table in 2018 he hasn't put up much justification for a week in week out fulltime presence at halfback and questions could be even raised for justification for him even being on the bench.

Biggest mistake we have made this season has been not blooding a halfback or 5/8th option even from the bench if only to give them a taste of first grade and give a reminder to a player like Kodi that things can change if they don't.

Last edited:
Hehe.

That's a straw man. My stance has nothing to do with Kodi's quality or status, but the necessary skills for the job, which he lacks.

So you are in favor of the team merely "marking time" for next year. Fair enough. I never said I'm against that. Just that when Phil Gould mentioned it, it made sense for me even though I have stated several times previously (Not sure how many times but Tom knows) I'm in favor of keeping Bennett for next near. Of course the danger in merely "marking time" is the good chance of actually slipping backward.

Good point, Rover. Unfortunately Seibold is in negotiations to extend his contract with Souths. My point has long been that there is no reason the club can't find it's own rookie coach who goes on to much bigger and better things. I know many people are going to come back and scream "Henjack" and "Griffin" but IMO they weren't that bad. The former didn't much of a chance the latter obviously isn't a bad coach.

Taking time to find the right replacement is not marking time, it's good and responsible business, and anybody without an agenda can see that

Let me explain what marking time would be.......finding the right replacement in the next few weeks or so, that person wanting to start in 2019, and the club allowing Bennett to see out his contract in 2019, and making the replacement wait till 2020

That is marking time, but unless they have identified the right person and that person has agreed to come, then using all the time they have to find the right person is the only responsible and intelligent choice the club can make

"Quick, quick.....let's find somebody to take over now and sack Wayne" is very poor business

Taking time to find the right replacement is not marking time, it's good and responsible business, and anybody without an agenda can see that

Let me explain what marking time would be.......finding the right replacement in the next few weeks or so, that person wanting to start in 2019, and the club allowing Bennett to see out his contract in 2019, and making the replacement wait till 2020

That is marking time, but unless they have identified the right person and that person has agreed to come, then using all the time they have to find the right person is the only responsible and intelligent choice the club can make

"Quick, quick.....let's find somebody to take over now and sack Wayne" is very poor business

Good point. But if they aren't going to continue with Bennett in 2020 and are going to go with a rookie, which looks likely unless they are going to recruit the likes of Hasler or McGuire (which I personally don't even want to imagine and can't imagine the head office being so incompetent.), isn't the club going to be faced with testing a rookie either next year or the year after? Again, my opinion was to keep Bennett for next year, not sign Bellamy and find a rookie to take over but if one gives what Phil Gould said some cool thought, it makes a lot of sense. Especially if Bennett can be moved into some kind of "coaching director" role to oversee the rookie coach and the club can avoid paying him out.

Good point. But if they aren't going to continue with Bennett in 2020 and are going to go with a rookie, which looks likely unless they are going to recruit the likes of Hasler or McGuire (which I personally don't even want to imagine and can't imagine the head office being so incompetent.), isn't the club going to be faced with testing a rookie either next year or the year after? Again, my opinion was to keep Bennett for next year, not sign Bellamy and find a rookie to take over but if one gives what Phil Gould said some cool thought, it makes a lot of sense. Especially if Bennett can be moved into some kind of "coaching director" role to oversee the rookie coach and the club can avoid paying him out.
Who says they're going to employ a rookie. They may look at the market and notice a few good established candidates coming off contract in 2020, 2021, etc. at which point you extend Bennett to correspond with those years... the main concern then becomes if Bennett doesn't want to extend on minor contracts.

This is where it would be nice to have a transition plan in place or even better a clause whereby if an appropriate candidate is identified Bennett could be moved into a coaching director's role.

This way Bennett could sign a 3 year contract but if a head coach is identified and attainable for say 2020, Bennett would just move into coaching director and the new coach would take over. Until then Bennett remains head coach.

Gives Bennett security and gives broncos flexibility, without having to sack a legend of the club.

These are the kind of discussions that should be had between Bennett, the board and White so we don't end up scrambling for a coach.

What are we going to do if the Broncos make the gf and win it ? It may yet happen. It's nothing being in form mid or early season, it's everything late in the season though. I expect by the end of the regular season we'll be flying.

This is how I've always seen Bennett finishing up at the club tbh. Unless we signed a Bellamy/Cleary type.

That's a straw man. My stance has nothing to do with Kodi's quality or status, but the necessary skills for the job, which he lacks.

Fair enough. I genuinely think that he is the best the club can do right now. I think if there were quality replacements in lower grades, that we had access too, they'd be given a run.

Nikorima is the man for the job. I think he will evolve into a quality playmaker but then again I don't really agree or go in for this 'game management' nonsense.

4 Words : Jason mother fucking Demetriou . We get Bennett to turn into Assistant/Support role and transition to JD as headcoach in the next few years. The guy is a pure winner, and has put in the hard yards as a winning ICS headcoach and years as assistant coach in the NRL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who says they're going to employ a rookie. They may look at the market and notice a few good established candidates coming off contract in 2020, 2021, etc. at which point you extend Bennett to correspond with those years... the main concern then becomes if Bennett doesn't want to extend on minor contracts.

This is where it would be nice to have a transition plan in place or even better a clause whereby if an appropriate candidate is identified Bennett could be moved into a coaching director's role.

This way Bennett could sign a 3 year contract but if a head coach is identified and attainable for say 2020, Bennett would just move into coaching director and the new coach would take over. Until then Bennett remains head coach.

Gives Bennett security and gives broncos flexibility, without having to sack a legend of the club.

These are the kind of discussions that should be had between Bennett, the board and White so we don't end up scrambling for a coach.

If he were let go after next year or given some kind of coaching director position to oversee a rookie, he wouldn't be getting sacked. FFS, even Locky, Parker and etc etc had to give it away at some stage. It's time for Bennett to step aside as head coach.

This is how I've always seen Bennett finishing up at the club tbh. Unless we signed a Bellamy/Cleary type.

Just as long as in that position he can't continue to favor Boyd at the expense of the team.

Fair enough. I genuinely think that he is the best the club can do right now. I think if there were quality replacements in lower grades, that we had access too, they'd be given a run.

Nikorima is the man for the job. I think he will evolve into a quality playmaker but then again I don't really agree or go in for this 'game management' nonsense.

I think pigs are going to start flying.

4 Words : Jason mother f***** Demetriou . We get Bennett to turn into Assistant/Support role and transition to JD as headcoach in the next few years. The guy is a pure winner, and has put in the hard yards as a winning ICS headcoach and years as assistant coach in the NRL.

I too was thinking that but I can't understand why he hasn't already been given a chance somewhere. Makes me think the powers that be know something about him the general public doesn't. Lots of excellent assistant coaches turn out to be terrible head coaches.

Isn't JD responsible for our attack this year? it looks pussssss

Last edited:
Yea Bennett totally took over with his boring ass attack and big part of why we ain’t scoring any tries and why our PD is fucked.

Can you name one that’s available?
I haven't watched anything of the isc this season, but based on the quality I previously saw from him, and reports I've read, I'd say Dargan may be a better partner (not necessarily better player) to Milf than Kodi.
There may be others too, because I think Kodi is absolutely drowning out there as a halfback.

Like I said, I doubt the first part is true.

As to the second part of your post, I truly do not believe he is the man for this particular job, but that's because I also truly believe in that 'game management' nonsense.

The coaching director role for Wayne is one I like a lot

We don't know what's happening behind the scenes though

But if they have decided on a rookie and that rookie is available next year, I'm not against that transition for 2019

If they haven't though, and they use 2019 to identify and recruit the right person, then I equally have no problem with that

No coach will sign on with WB as “coaching director”.

Why would they?

How do they run the team; without WB putting his oar in? For example if the new coach wants to get rid of Boyd, how does he do that with WB hanging around?

Talks about awkward.

Once WB goes as head coach; he needs to go away and let the new coach do his job; without WB looking over his shoulder.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.