NEWS Broncos great expects Walsh to bounce back against Parramatta

BHQArticleImageLarge35

Brisbane Broncos great Darius Boyd expects star fullback Reece Walsh and his side to bounce back in a big way against Parramatta on Friday night after an error-riddled loss last week.

The Broncos lead the NRL with the most errors at 116 for the season and had 13 against the Roosters, where Trent Robinson’s side made Brisbane pay for it with a 22-point victory at Suncorp Stadium.

While Walsh sits fourth in the league for errors with 16 so far this season.

But Boyd, who is now a member of the Broncos coaching staff, says the 21-year-old State of Origin fullback was a “student of the game” and backed Walsh to lead Brisbane at CommBank Stadium against the Eels.

“I think that’s just a natural progression for young players, I think it’s something you see a lot with Walshy, you get the highest of highs in that sense as he sees a lot and he can do a lot of things that most players can’t do,” he said on Mornings with Ben Davis.

“It’s about figuring out when to pass, when to tackle, when to kick, when to do the things we know only Walshy can do and when not to.

“When to just get it to ground and get a good kick away and maybe take the tackle as well.

“That’s something that young players usually struggle with early in their careers and it's something that Walshy, he’s a student of the game, he works extremely hard on his craft and on his performance and I’m sure he’ll be looking for a really solid and just a grounded performance Friday night.”

Boyd also said picking Josh Rogers to play five-eighth over Tristan Sailor was about picking a player, who was a regular in that position.

“Tristan is a great player who can play multiple positions and could play in (five-eighth) as well, I think it comes down to Josh being there week in, week out, it’s his natural position,” he said.

“He’s a calm, level-headed guy, he doesn’t get flustered, he’s got a good kicking game and when you think about putting him next to Ezra Mam and Reece Walsh in particular, I think he just keeps them really calm and collected.

"I just think maybe it just gels better in that sense.”

Rogers made his debut against the Melbourne Storm in 2023.

SEN

I wish Josh all the best for Friday night in his first ‘real’ game for us. That storm game was not an ideal way to play your first NRL game.

I’m sure he’ll go well in this game.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.