Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Forward planning: How Seibold aims to ignite Broncos halves

Author
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 06:49 PM
Anthony Seibold insists improved play-the-ball speed from his forwards will allow star halves Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford to reach new heights in 2019.
The new Brisbane coach wants to play enterprising football but said that can't be done if the side wasn't on the front foot with ball in hand.
"People see our big forwards running with intent but we actually finished second last in the NRL [in 2018] for play the ball speed in attack," Seibold said.
"Unless you are giving your halves early ball, you could have Andrew Johns sitting behind them, it wouldn't matter. My challenge to our forwards is their job isn't done until Andrew McCullough has the footy in his hands.
"If we finish 15th again for play the ball speed, we will get the same result. You need to play on the front foot. Halves need time and they need space and we need to try and create that."
Broncos legend Steve Renouf said in his most recent column for NRL.com that the Brisbane halves needed to improve when it comes to creating more for their outside men after being constantly frustrated by the lack of opportunities provided to flying centre James Roberts by Nikorima in particular.
Seibold plans to get that area of the Broncos play humming as well.
"The other thing is the club finished 15th in the competition for shifting the footy. I like to play some footy, so we are trying to look at installing a game model that allows us to put more than a couple of passes together and we'll continue to implement some things in attack," he said.
"There was criticism of Milford and Nikorima, but they need the footy in their hands when they want it."
Seibold intends to give Milford and Nikorima extended time to further build their partnership but warned that Roosters recruit Sean O'Sullivan was putting the heat on both men.
"Sean O'Sullivan was a great back-up at the Roosters. He has had a really good pre-season, physically he has improved," he said.
"Milford and Nikorima are the guys in the frame at the moment. The more we can persist with those guys, it builds cohesion and connection. When you change your spine, you lose cohesion.
"There is a lot of research around the more time people attack and defend together as a unit, it has some positive results in performances. They have their noses in front, but Sean has an opportunity in pre-season to bite at those guys' heels."
Seibold is a big believer in professional development and sent Nikorima and Milford to the North Melbourne AFL headquarters for two days of learning. Milford said recently he got a lot out of that experience.
The duo spent also recently spent time with premiership-winning five-eighth Matthew Johns in Sydney where they fine-tuned their skills.
"We are leaving no stone unturned. I am trying to give those guys the best opportunity to be the best version of themselves," Seibold said.
"I'm not trying to make them someone else. Kodi and Anthony are two of the best halves in the competition when they are at their very best. It's marginal gains.
"I sent them to the Kangaroos in the AFL and I have given them opportunities to work with Matty Johns. I talk to Matty a lot about footy so we are on the same wavelength."

Source: NRL.com

“No stone unturned” - it’s up to them now.

Last edited:
If forwards are able to do what he wants then Macca will be in the hot seat. Ouch!

Seibold has never coached the broncos before. It’s all well and good to say we were 15th in play the ball speed, but wait til he gets the reality check that’s coming with how long the ***** with the whistle let teams hold us down.

Seibold has never coached the broncos before. It’s all well and good to say we were 15th in play the ball speed, but wait til he gets the reality check that’s coming with how long the ***** with the whistle let teams hold us down.

Nope, not buying it. NO more excuses. We need to rid this bullshit that Refs and the NRL are out to get us. We probably got the rub of the green more than any other team last year.

There’s a reason we finished 15th in play the ball speed and it had NOTHING to do with the refs. It’s up to us and only us now.

Nope, not buying it. NO more excuses. We need to rid this bullshit that Refs and the NRL are out to get us. We probably got the rub of the green more than any other team last year.

There’s a reason we finished 15th in play the ball speed and it had NOTHING to do with the refs. It’s up to us and only us now.
Exactly what i was typing up.

No more excuses !!

If it was in fact 15th it suggests a few more problems then those caused by the whistle blowers.

No stone unturned. If we’re getting shafted by the refs you can bet he’ll go to them WITH EVIDENCE and a Please Explain.

He may already have, and he’s leant on the media to keep it out of the papers so he doesn’t sound like a whinger.

You blokes are off your rocker if you think we’re policed the same way in the ruck as other teams.

Last edited:
You blokes are off your rocker if you think we’re policed the same way in the ruck as other teams.

Does this extend to us being one of the most penalised teams for ruck penalties (hand on the ball etc) too? I'd call it a lack of discipline both with the ball and without...

Seibold telling everyone his secrets again

In isolation, if there were any bias, you could argue it's not just because we're the Broncos. It's more likely got something to do with the fact we're a fast starting team, often get to a lead, and then have ghost penalties called against us.

This is why the new refereeing policy of rewarding attacking play could help us. Probably not though. I have always thought we get a rough deal at home because referees don’t want to be seen to be influenced by the crowd and that’s unlikely to change.

No stone unturned. If we’re getting shafted by the refs you can bet he’ll go to them WITH EVIDENCE and a Please Explain.

He may already have, and he’s leant on the media to keep it out of the papers so he doesn’t sound like a whinger.

You don’t reckon that very topic may have come up when Shayne Hayne and Co. visited recently?

I genuinely haven’t been this excited for a season in many, many years. Every time I read the changes that Seibold is implanting it sounds so promising. Now hopefully he gets the boys to deliver on all this talk.
Let’s just hope that McCoullough will be able to keep up with this play the ball speed.

I'm hugely excited by this season. I get so far it's really just words, but at least the words are good, and different.

We have reason to be hopeful :)

Let’s just hope that McCoullough will be able to keep up with this play the ball speed.

Yes, maybe even McCullough. Seibold may be playing it cunning here. All the media talk is about our halves needing to improve, being sent here there and everywhere for guidance. Not the same talk about our dummy half. After what he achieved with Cook last year I'm quietly confident Macca may come out firing. Maybe only wishful thinking but let’s hope so anyway.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • whykickamoocow
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • IceWorks
  • Mister Wright
  • Tmac
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.