OFFICIAL Herman Ese'ese to Knights

I think if his form from 6 weeks ago had carried on then he wouldn't have been dropped. But he hasn't been performing to the same standard. He's a young prop, the reason it takes years for forwards to mature isn't because of skills, it's adapting to the constant battering at NRL level, learning techniques to be up each and every week, and being mentally strong enough to implement them.

Which game /s do you think he stunk it up? I can recall him being a little quiet but he has been very solid and concededs very few penalties or mistakes.

Anyone on BHQ knows I am a big supporter of Wayne but this type of bloody mindedness IMO serves no purpose. ( unless he thinks he can get Herman to change his mind.)

One things certain though, we the supporters don't know the full story on the negotiations. That being the case we should be circumspect with our proclamations. I don't commend or condemn Hermans actions nor WBs...some of what's reported seems to indicate Ese ese was reasonable, he was offered 275 by the Broncos, 475 a season by Newcastle. Naturally these are plucked from the media so are wobbly. He seems to have said to the Broncos I'd prefer to stay, can you get a bit closer ? Reasonable as far as I can see.

Ese'Ese injured his knee against Ipswich in the QCup match of the round. Reported to have have heard an audible clicking sound. Interesting the Ipswich forwards dominated a pack including TPJ, Sua, G Fia and Boyce.

:glasscageofemotion:

the only way we get out of this adequately imo is we go McGuire back to prop and Arrow starting lock with TPJ his sub and Joffa + Sims as the prop rotation. We're a bit thin though with only Fai after that as the only recognised name. Be interesting to see who gets promoted or any savvy/lucky off season signings

:glasscageofemotion:

the only way we get out of this adequately imo is we go McGuire back to prop and Arrow starting lock with TPJ his sub and Joffa + Sims as the prop rotation. We're a bit thin though with only Fai after that as the only recognised name. Be interesting to see who gets promoted or any savvy/lucky off season signings
Payne Haas.

Payne Haas.

True. Forgot about him at the time. He'll be 18 too. But still only a rookie, and while I love one, you ideally need someone with at least a season under their belt. But at the same time they (rookies) need game time to become those players. A bit of a catch-22

I think so, one of the conditions for these young stars signing with clubs is the promise of first grade.

Why promising prop Herman Ese’ese turned his back on the Broncos

BOOM prop Herman Ese’ese has defended his decision to quit the Broncos, saying he couldn’t turn his back on a Newcastle deal that will make him a millionaire.

In one of the NRL’s great comeback stories, Ese’ese has signed a three-year, $1.4 million deal with the Knights — just two years after receiving a $20,000 lifeline from Brisbane’s feeder-club Souths Logan.

The Broncos believed Ese’ese had a huge future at Red Hill and are bitterly disappointed to be losing a player they helped rescue after his NRL career went off the rails at former club the Bulldogs.

Ese’ese’s contract negotiations with the Broncos turned ugly last week when coach Wayne Bennett pulled the club’s offer after it became clear Brisbane could not compete with Newcastle’s package.

Despite the ructions, Ese’ese says he holds no ill-feeling towards the Broncos and hopes to return from a knee injury in the next fortnight to be part of their premiership push.

“It will be hard to leave,” said Ese’ese, speaking for the first time since agreeing to terms with the Knights.

“It was a tough call to make, under Wayne Bennett I’ve learned so much but I have to do the best thing for myself and my family.

“This deal can set me up for life.”

It is understood the Broncos are partly aggrieved because of the work they put into Ese’ese. When he returned to Brisbane in 2015, he was overweight at 128kg and worked as a furniture removalist to supplement his meagre Souths Logan deal.

But Ese’ese says his move to Newcastle is not motivated solely by money. While he has made huge strides at the Broncos, the Knights have offered the Kiwi Test hopeful something Bennett can’t guarantee — a weekly starting spot in the engine room.

“The big attraction was the starting spot at Newcastle,” said Ese’ese, who has started in eight of 22 games for the Broncos.

“I feel I’m ready for that responsibility and I haven’t been able to get that regularly at the Broncos.

“I have nothing bad to say about the Broncos. Wayne gave me a helping hand and I will be forever grateful for what the club has done for me on and off the field.

“But career wise, Newcastle is the right move for me. I will be in the starting line-up and they have given me the opportunity to develop as a starting player.”

Bennett said he would not ruthlessly freeze out Ese’ese as he famously did with Justin Hodges 15 years ago when he signed with the Roosters.

“He would have played against Newcastle (tonight) if he was fit. It will be another two weeks before he comes back,” Bennett said.

“Herman has done great here, but that’s how the salary cap works. He was looking for more income and we couldn’t match that, so he’s gone.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/379985b26562477f758c088b45797cae

“The big attraction was the starting spot at Newcastle,” said Ese’ese, who has started in eight of 22 games for the Broncos.

“I feel I’m ready for that responsibility and I haven’t been able to get that regularly at the Broncos.

8 of his 14 games as a starter, 8 of his past 9 games and he would have got more and likely become a starter next season.

It's a crock of shit. He was going good at first saying he left for the money then he says that crap. Just say you left for the money and nothing else.

To be honest I don't blame him for talking the extra cash, anyone here that says they would turn down 1.4 mil over 3 years for what, maybe just over half that or even two thirds of that, for doing the same job, kidding themselves. People move house or jobs in every day life to save or make an extra $100 a week, let alone an extra grand or two a week. I just wish people would honest about it, including those criticizing him for it. Good luck to him and his family.

To be honest I don't blame him for talking the extra cash, anyone here that says they would turn down 1.4 mil over 3 years for what, maybe just over half that or even two thirds of that, for doing the same job, kidding themselves. People move house or jobs in every day life to save or make an extra $100 a week, let alone an extra grand or two a week. I just wish people would honest about it, including those criticizing him for it. Good luck to him and his family.

Who isn't being honest about it? I don't think anyone has said they don't understand why he is leaving or that he shouldn't take the money.

Some have said they would like him to stay and wish the Broncs offers more which is definitely not begrudging him for taking he money. I think people just want him to say he left for the money, that is the reason he left, not to have a starting spot, etc.

Who isn't being honest about it? I don't think anyone has said they don't understand why he is leaving or that he shouldn't take the money.

Some have said they would like him to stay and wish the Broncs offers more which is definitely not begrudging him for taking he money. I think people just want him to say he left for the money, that is the reason he left, not to have a starting spot, etc.
TBF he also say that the offer is too good to refuse... which is why he took it.

He probably thought that sounded bad, which us why he went on about a starting spot as well.

It sounds like a pretty good deal for Herman. I am happy for him.

I certainly would, but I'd be honest and say the offer was too good to refuse. It's absolute bullshit to say otherwise. No one would choose Newcastle over the Broncos for anything other than money.

Unread

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Strop
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Maroon4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.