RUMOUR Luke Brooks to Broncos 2018

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
There was an article in the courier mail regarding this feel free to post it

NSW Origin great Benny Elias says Tigers young gun Luke Brooks could be a superstar signing for a Broncos club that doesn’t appreciate Ben Hunt.

Elias, a former Wests Tigers director, applauded Hunt for signing a $6 million deal with the Dragons, claiming the Broncos don’t truly value his skill set that steered the club to the 2015 grand final.

Tigers duo Brooks and Mitchell Moses are the two most promising halves off-contract at a time when Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is weighing up how best to replace Hunt next season.

The Tigers are battling salary-cap pressures as they fight to retain their Big Four of Moses, Brooks, James Tedesco and Aaron Woods.

There is a sentiment one player must go and Elias concedes Bennett could turn the 22-year-old Brooks into an NRL superstar.

“Luke would be a fantastic signing for the Broncos,” said Elias, the uncle of Brooks’ halves partner Moses.

“Look, I hope Luke stays at the Tigers because he has the best years ahead of him, but with Mitchell, they are the best young playmakers on the market.

“Under Wayne Bennett, Luke would be an absolute superstar for the Broncos.

“I’m a big fan of him, he’s a terrific kid.

“Luke Brooks reminds me a lot of Ben Hunt. They are similar in the way they play, they are similar in stature, their footballing qualities are very similar so if Wayne can get him at a cheaper rate than Ben Hunt, it’s a good business deal.”

Elias, a veteran of 22 Origin matches and 14 Tests, scoffed at suggestions Hunt has never recovered from his kick-off blunder in Brisbane’s grand-final loss to the Cowboys.
Hunt has copped brickbats from Broncos fans, largely over his inconsistent kicking game, but Elias believes the Brisbane No. 7 will be sorely missed.

“To be honest, I think he is under-appreciated at the Broncos,” the Balmain legend said.

“I’m surprised they lost Ben, he’s a great player, I’m a really big fan of his.
“I don’t know Ben personally, but every time I watch him play I admire his skills and his humility. The Broncos should never have lost him, but the Dragons needed a halfback and Hunt will deliver for them.

“The Broncos now have to look at the market.

“Luke would perfectly complement Anthony Milford. Miflord can do the fancy stuff, while Luke can steer the team around.

“Brooks didn’t have his best season last year but he has matured. He understands the pressures of the NRL and last year he learned a lot about what’s required to succeed.

“It’s a big ask for the Tigers to keep all four guys, so a young player like Luke would only get better under Wayne Bennett at the Broncos.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/8da4d37777dc8338cb345b6da31de3f7

If Brooks can bring the kicking game he had in the 9s, we could do worse. He's also still young enough to learn how to control a game. Defensively it could (would) be an absolute nightmare.

Under appreciated? Appreciation doesn't mean he's worth 1mil a season over 6 fucken years... I wouldn't mind betting he had a reasonable offer from the Broncos but the Dragons just blew it out of the water.

Ben Hunt to back flip the deal, You heard it here 1st

Yeah sounds like elias is trying to put the ribbon on him and send him on his way. Elias is a DOUCHE !

Ben Hunt to back flip the deal, You heard it here 1st

He is an emotional guy. Come end of season he'll be feeling it. And I'm tipping bad home sickness for him next season but life goes on.

Well remember what Bennett did with Soward

Though this place if we signed Brooks

I'm not a huge fan of Brooks, I reckon he is over-rated, but I think that's just because any young NSW half that shows promise gets branded as 'The-Next-Big-Thing'. See Daniel Mortimer, Jarred Mullen and co as examples. and it's hard to live up to that tag.

I actually think it wouldn't be the worst option, Wayne does seem to work wonders with young halves. It will be interesting to see which direction Wayne goes.

Time for me to say my piece.

I've been a closet fan of Luke Brooks for several years, not only do I think he's got incredible potential as a player, I just like him as a person, and think he's extremely coachable.

I think he would be the perfect signing for us, it might sound crazy because he's been around for so long, but he's 6 months YOUNGER than Anthony Milford.. He possesses the kicking game, ball playing & game management that Wayne Bennett could completely unleash, he hasn't been used correctly at the Tigers, they've either prioritised Farah as the primary play-maker, or Moses.

I still think our #1 target should be Taylor, but if he gives us the indication that he wants to stay on the GC, I'd be calling up Brooks' management immediately and offering him a 3 or 4 year deal. He's 100% the next best option, and I think he would be an absolutely incredible halves partner for Milford, they're the same age group, and their skill-sets complement each other extremely well.

I'm sure plenty of you will disagree with me, and that's fine, a lot of you disagreed with me when I said I thought the Boyd & Blair additions were great for us. It's without question that Brooks has a long way to go as a complete player, his defence is horrible, he fades in and out of games, he makes mistakes.. All of those things can be fixed, and will be fixed, he's so young.

#BrooksFor18'

No I agree I think Brooks would be a great pickup tbh. Brooks defensively isn't the best though Hunt was worse, but we have Gillett to help him there.
Brooks was the first choice I said after Hunt signed with saints.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.