RUMOUR Luke Brooks to Broncos 2018

I haven't seen enough of Brooks to form an opinion really but I don't think I want to buy anything Benny Elias is selling.

I haven't seen enough of Brooks to form an opinion really but I don't think I want to buy anything Benny Elias is selling.

Elias is only selling him because Moses is his nephew and he wants him to get the best deal possible at the tigers

Well Luke Brooks most certainly isn't the answer. Its why the Tigers will flick him first out their top 4 players to be paid this year.

I appreciate your input, but once again, I don't agree. You've obviously still got your Ben Hunt goggles on, which is fine, but Brooks has shown more than enough to be considered a potential replacement for Hunt, his kicking game is absolute light years ahead of Hunt's (Even if he doesn't get many opportunities to show it, because of Farah & Moses), so is his game management (When Jason Taylor allows him to actually play his own game and not completely restrict the way he plays, which is what happened for most of 2016). He obviously doesn't possess the tackle breaking ability of Hunt, and is a worse defender. But Wayne can work with that, as I said earlier, it's easier to coach a Halfback on how to improve his tackling technique and positioning than it is to try and teach a Halfback how to kick, when to kick, when to run.. etc. Which is what we tried to help Hunt with, with no success for 4 or 5 years.

All in all it doesn't matter what you think, or what I think, all that matters is what Wayne thinks. I'm still holding out hope that we can get Ashley Taylor back, he's the one we should be focusing our entire attention on.

If we wait out this season so that we can "Look at our U20's" or "See what we've got internally".. Guess what? Everyone worth signing will be already signed. We need to be proactive, if nobody internally looks like an NRL Halfback in the first month of the season, we need to sign someone from outside.

I'm not disagreeing with your post but this is exactly what our direct competition down the M1 did and throughout the season picked up the Dally M rookie of the year, NSW's only top notch player and future origin hooker. It definitely worked out ok for them.

Last time we did a panic buy was Joel Clinton. And he was most certainly not worth the money we paid

I'm not disagreeing with your post but this is exactly what our direct competition down the M1 did and throughout the season picked up the Dally M rookie of the year, NSW's only top notch player and future origin hooker. It definitely worked out ok for them.

Titans got incredibly lucky. We handed them Taylor on a silver platter & the Eels handed them Peats on a silver platter. To think that we should be saving room under the cap and leaving key positions open on the off chance a team breaches the salary cap and has to release a key player, or an U20 superstar suddenly get anxious to play first grade and asks for a release is just preposterous. We need to be on the lookout almost immediately to replace Hunt, if we just sit back and wait whilst twiddling our thumbs there's a massive chance we just don't land anyone worthwhile and are stuck with a 33 year old Benji Marshall with rubber bands for hamstrings in 2018.

Last time we did a panic buy was Joel Clinton. And he was most certainly not worth the money we paid

This isn't going to be a panic buy, we will be systematically working our way through each potential replacement for Hunt and talking with their management to gauge interest and availability. The process will more than likely take several months, unless of course Ash Taylor just agrees to come home the second Wayne calls him, which is also possible.

Titans got incredibly lucky. We handed them Taylor on a silver platter & the Eels handed them Peats on a silver platter. To think that we should be saving room under the cap and leaving key positions open on the off chance a team breaches the salary cap and has to release a key player, or an U20 superstar suddenly get anxious to play first grade and asks for a release is just preposterous. We need to be on the lookout almost immediately to replace Hunt, if we just sit back and wait whilst twiddling our thumbs there's a massive chance we just don't land anyone worthwhile and are stuck with a 33 year old Benji Marshall with rubber bands for hamstrings in 2018.

Yep I agree with you but I'm also saying that times have changed. Panic buying the semi-best option available at a higher rate than they are worth is also not the answer. Contracts mean nothing now.

Yep I agree with you but I'm also saying that times have changed. Panic buying the semi-best option available at a higher rate than they are worth is also not the answer. Contracts mean nothing now.

I keep seeing the word "overpay" in relation to Brooks. Why do you guys think we'd overpay him? We've got Wayne Bennett, have you guys been following the contracts signed over the last few years? We got Blair for nothing, Roberts for nothing, Mead for nothing, Sims for nothing, Marshall for nothing.

And all of a sudden Wayne is going to shit the bed and offer Brooks $1.2m a year? Yeah right.

I keep seeing the word "overpay" in relation to Brooks. Why do you guys think we'd overpay him? We've got Wayne Bennett, have you guys been following the contracts signed over the last few years? We got Blair for nothing, Roberts for nothing, Mead for nothing, Sims for nothing, Marshall for nothing.

And all of a sudden Wayne is going to shit the bed and offer Brooks $1.2m a year? Yeah right.

Brooks isn't coming for less than what he is getting paid at the Tigers. The Tigers have already paid him 700k a year already and he is on the lookout for a mill

Brooks isn't coming for less than what he is getting paid at the Tigers. The Tigers have already paid him 700k a year already and he is on the lookout for a mill

We're the Brisbane Broncos.

Has money ever been an issue for us? If Wayne doesn't think someone is worth the money, he won't give it to them, you guys worry far too much about the salary cap, let's focus on getting someone who can play Halfback and not hypothetically how much they're going to be expecting to be paid.

Has money ever been an issue for us?

The better question is, has Wayne always been able to get his man?

Dane Gagai, Jayden Nikorima, Sam Mataora, Trent Merrin, Dylan Napa, Ryan James...

I doubt he wanted to see the back of Ben Hunt either.

Bennett is a nice incentive, but he isn't a miracle worker and Brooks isn't going to come here cheap. It's just a matter of how much money he's going to accept and really anything above $600K is overs for a player in his stage of development.

I understand the concern and think they're valid. However, the Broncos would be made not to contact his management and offer him a deal. He's the best first receiver coming through the NSW system and any issues he has can be attributed to the basket case that is the Wests Tigers.

It's just a matter of not putting all our eggs into that basket. If he's simply in it for the money, then the club has to pivot and look elsewhere.

I understand the concern and think they're valid. However, the Broncos would be mad not to contact his management and offer him a deal. He's the best first receiver coming through the NSW system and any issues he has can be attributed to the basket case that is the Wests Tigers.

Precisely my view.

For all the people claiming that he's a bust and has been horrible, I highly suggest you go out of your way to watch a few Tigers games this year, if only to watch him, he's a great decision maker and has an elite short kicking game.

And I repeat, he's 6 months younger than Milford!

Is he really the best first receiver coming through the NSW system? Cleary is and will be a far better player.

Why in gods name would we overpay for the hack known as Luke Brooks. I would rather have matched the dragons offer for Hunt then spend money to buy Brooks. He will demand a fortune and is a mediocre half at best. Lets look internally at our club before looking outside to bring someone in

Who ??

Is he really the best first receiver coming through the NSW system? Cleary is and will be a far better player.

Cleary certainly gives him a run for his money, but outside of his last tackle plays and that pass in the Bulldogs final I haven't seen enough to place him above Brooks.

While he played a role by simply being better than Soward, I attribute the Panthers success to players like Matty Moylan, Peter Wallace and Trent Merrin.

If he was off-contract, I'd definitely want the Broncos to have a look at him. However, the Panthers have him locked up and it would take a tremendous series of mistakes for him to leave.

Cleary certainly gives him a run for his money, but outside of his last tackle plays and that pass in the Bulldogs final I haven't seen enough to place him above Brooks.

While he played a role by simply being better than Soward, I attribute the Panthers success to players like Matty Moylan, Peter Wallace and Trent Merrin.

If he was off-contract, I'd definitely want the Broncos to have a look at him. However, the Panthers have him locked up and it would take a tremendous series of mistakes for him to leave.
What's your take on Sam Scarlett @Big Pete ?

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Mustafur
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.