Jordan Kahu released - Signs with Cowboys

Best of luck to Kahu. Great clubman and excellent man in general. Injuries plagued him but I just wonder, even without the injuries, did he have that next level that we've been expecting of him?

He's 28. By now he should have had a position absolutely nailed down. But he wasn't robust enough at centre, and was overtaken by a rookie, albeit a very promising one, on the wing.

It will be interesting to see how he goes. It's rare that a player hits their straps after leaving the Broncos, at least ones that we haven't fought to keep. Very similar to Gerard Beale in the end, being a fullback/centre/winger, groomed from a young age and touted to have a massive future. Beale if IIRC went to the Dragons, Sharks, and now the Warriors and hasn't really done anything remarkable besides playing off the bench in the Sharks GF win.

I thought Winterstein did OK when he shifted North, but I was a fan of his and disappointed he left/was pushed so may have over looked a lot.

Best of luck to Kahu. Great clubman and excellent man in general. Injuries plagued him but I just wonder, even without the injuries, did he have that next level that we've been expecting of him?

He's 28. By now he should have had a position absolutely nailed down. But he wasn't robust enough at centre, and was overtaken by a rookie, albeit a very promising one, on the wing.

It will be interesting to see how he goes. It's rare that a player hits their straps after leaving the Broncos, at least ones that we haven't fought to keep. Very similar to Gerard Beale in the end, being a fullback/centre/winger, groomed from a young age and touted to have a massive future. Beale if IIRC went to the Dragons, Sharks, and now the Warriors and hasn't really done anything remarkable besides playing off the bench in the Sharks GF win.

Breaking Lockyer's face was pretty remarkable.

Copley Mk II.

Broncos fought the Tigers tooth and nail to steal him as a Keebra boy and for what, he never lived up to the hype.

It's been so frustrating hoping he'd nail down a centre spot so maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.

Last edited:
Copley Mk II.

Broncos fought the Tigers tooth and nail to steal him as a Keebra boy and for what, he never lived up to the hype.

It's been so frustrating hoping he'd nail down a centre spot so maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.
Kahu was brought up as a spine player. He had all but assured his spot at 5/8 when he suffered his third ACL, and he showed what he was capable of as Fullback during Boyd's long term injury.
His versatility, which allowed him to adapt to Centre and especially Wing, kind of worked against him in that aspect, allowing coaches to move him everywhere in the backline, including that left centre position, which probably suits him the least.

It was his MCL in 2014.

I often wonder what would have happened if Kahu was allowed to play fullback in Under 20s. Kahu played every other position in the backline and never quite lived up to his schoolboys form at that level.

It was his MCL in 2014.

I often wonder what would have happened if Kahu was allowed to play fullback in Under 20s. Kahu played every other position in the backline and never quite lived up to his schoolboys form at that level.
Yes, you're totally right. It was too... not that it makes any difference to the outcome. :(

I've always thought Fullback would be his best position, although he was a damned good 5/8 as well.

I thought he struggled at 6 in 20s, granted he didn't last long enough in the position and it wasn't possible to go through his performance with a fine tooth comb (no replays). However, of all the positions he played in 20s, Kahu seemed most adept at wing. I'll never forget the game he scored four tries, including one on the bell to win it in a thriller for the Broncos.

We won't have to chip in for his contract, unless we actually want/need to offload him

The Cowpats need him and can afford him, and thus will likely pay the full salary

We should actually seek a bit of compensation on top

We won't have to chip in for his contract, unless we actually want/need to offload him

The Cowpats need him and can afford him, and thus will likely pay the full salary

We should actually seek a bit of compensation on top

And they will hang up the phone straight away. They are not desperate for him. They want him yes but he isn’t a star that’s going to make or break anything. He is a better than average back who is available. Them paying his salary is what should and likely will happen.

And they will hang up the phone straight away. They are not desperate for him. They want him yes but he isn’t a star that’s going to make or break anything. He is a better than average back who is available. Them paying his salary is what should and likely will happen.
I would rather keep him. There’s virtually no chance that we won’t get an injury in our outside backs (especially with Boyd) and Kahu is very good backup. What’s the point of having depth if you give it away to the opposition?

And we are not desperate to get rid of him, or perhaps we are? I don't know.

If we do want to offload him so we can free up cap space to retain one of the youngsters then yeah release him without compensation.

But if we don't have that need, then I would rather keep him as depth, or receive compensation.

Let's not help the cowpats unless it helps us too.

It is not secret that i am a massive fan of Kahu, probably one of his biggest behind his family and @Porthoz ...

From a selfish Broncos perspective, i hope we keep him, as there is no better backup available for our backline than Kahu. a classy wing, quality fullback and decent center (if given time to adjust to the position instead of getting shuffled around every week). he could even fill in the halves if we have a major injury crisis there.

but in Kahu's best interest, he is too good to be stuck in the ISC and should he get an offer from the Cowboys (and we are prepared to release him) he would be silly not to take it. even if Holmes was to come back to the NRL and sign with the Cowboys, i still think there is a place for him in their backline.

I also don't think we would ever have to pay any of his salary ... he isn't on a massive salary to beging with and it shouldn't be any trouble to get the Cowboys to take on his full deal.

should he choose to take up an offer with the Cowboys, we should all wish him the best for the future, he has been a loyal professional servant of our club for over a decade.

So is there actually anything to this rumour or was it just a slow news day? You would think it would have to happen soon if him and the Cows wanted anything resembling a pre-season to work on combinations and such.

So is there actually anything to this rumour or was it just a slow news day? You would think it would have to happen soon if him and the Cows wanted anything resembling a pre-season to work on combinations and such.

I'd say things will move along now he is back from the Maori side.

They can’t make the signing until Lowe has signed with rabbits apparently.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Foordy
  • Bongo
  • Jazza
  • Ozired
  • Santa
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fitzy
  • Lozza
  • Xzei
  • achievedrap
  • Allo
  • lynx000
  • mrslong
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • Browny
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.