NSW fans abandon their team in dead rubber State of Origin f

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
THE Blues have been humbled and humiliated by Mal Meninga's men and now even their fans are deserting them in droves.

Wednesday night's Origin dead rubber at ANZ Stadium has descended into a farce with an avalanche of pre-paid tickets being auctioned on the internet - some at the ridiculous starting price of 99c.

Over four days this week, The Sunday Mail monitored the eBay auction website. And it took the click of one button to find five pages of ticket options for Origin III.

Just after 3pm on Saturday, more than $6000 worth of tickets were available for the final game of the series, with most at well below half price.

On Saturday, three tickets normally worth $150 had managed only two bids at $1.25.

Exclusive members' tickets were also being auctioned. Two tickets in the reserved section had received a bid of just over $20 each.

The supporter backlash was matched only by the NRL's 80-minute fire sale last Friday, in which ticket prices were slashed to half price.

According to NRL marketing manager Paul Kind, only "a few hundred" were sold during the sale.

Kind said while he was disappointed to hear of fans selling their tickets on the internet, the NRL was confident of a crowd of more than 60,000 as Queensland try to complete a series clean sweep.

"Origin is one of the great experiences and a great night of entertainment," Kind said.

Skipper Trent Barrett, who will play his last Origin game on Wednesday night, was left stunned when told of the attempts by fans to dump their tickets and pleaded for NSW supporters to show their colours.

"I don't know why anyone would want to sell their tickets," Barrett said.
Multimedia: Relive Queensland's State of Origin glory

"If you can get them for a dollar then I might get some. I paid $160 each for my family.

"We are going out to do a job and it would be nice to do it in front of a big crowd. Origin is always a great night out and some of the best spectacles are dead rubbers.

"Queensland always manage to fill their stadium so there is no reason why we can't do it, too. I would love to see a full house. The series is gone, but every Origin is important, not just for me but everyone out there."

Former NSW hooker Benny Elias said fans wanting to sell their Origin tickets should be careful what they wished for.

"Origin has been going for 30 years ... you've got to be very careful that we don't ruin this," Elias said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5887497359

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

haha i just posted this in the phil gould vs rock thread. nsw is pathetic. they claim to be as passionate as qld supporters yet they are selling their own tickets for 99c!! Up here, you can make a massive profit selling origin tickets, NEVER EVER a loss lol. This is absolutely pathetic and is a big concern since Sydney is still the "heart of league" in many (misguided) people's minds.

"you've got to be very careful that we dont ruin this". NSW - worst team in origin history with fans to match.

I don't think it's something to laugh at to be honest. This sort of shit could spell the end of origin.

yep. a very real concern. NSW has slowly been losing interest in origin, since they only seem to care when they are winning. piss weak supporters. i dont know what they can do? they are basically giving away tickets and still ppl dont go. the only think that can turn this around is if NSW start winning, and we know that wont be happening any time soon

As much as I hate that pathetic team, state and bandwagon supporters I really wish origin would be competitive again real soon.

I know it's fun winning but it's just so easy now that it's not nearly as fun or exciting. It used to be when we would win a game there would be a huge feeling of excitement and it would be a massive thrill. Now it's so uncompetitive that it's lost excitement even as a QLD fan because I watch a game with the result already a forgone conclusion, like having a delayed game spoiled for you. I'm not nearly as excited for this game as I was for game 3 in 2008 for example.

For the sake of origin I hope it gets competitive again because that's when it's at its best.

The Rock said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
yep. a very real concern. NSW has slowly been losing interest in origin, since they only seem to care when they are winning.

A real concern? ROFLZ. NSW slowing losing interest in origin? Even in game 1 this year after FOUR straight origin losses NSW fans still turned up in numbers. The year before (after 3 straight origin losses and a loss to QLD at Suncorp) there was 80,000 at ANZ. But Origin is slowly dying in NSW right? [icon_lol1. [eusa_doh

NSW fans will be back again next year and filling ANZ with 70,000-80,000 fans, like they do EVERY year.

Sure NSW fans aren't as crazy as QLD fans about Origin, but when you're still getting close to capacity every year especially after big losses, pretty sure Origin is still pretty damn healthy.

they only got 68 000 people to game one this year... not a good crowd for a ground that holds 80k

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Cheap tickets. I wish I could go.

godammit. now i wish i was staying in sydney and going to the game! how cheap is that!!

Unread

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • The Don
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.