Song

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I mentioned this yesterday and it has made the paper today. Seems to be anoying some people and seen as 'stealing' NSW's moment.

IN A shattered Queensland dressing room, Mal Meninga made a historic decision and Queensland’s Origin fightback began. Minutes after losing Game Two and the series to New South Wales, Meninga pulled the players and staff together to sing the team song.
It was the first time in State of Origin’s 101-game history a Queensland team had sung the song after a loss.

Allan Langer, the Maroons’ “entertainment director”, led the chant as always, spraying beer as players hugged each other and celebrated their incredible eight-series streak.
For Meninga to ask the players to sing their tune after a loss was a risky move. The players could have responded with disinterest, brutally revealing their bond had diminished.
But the players revelled in the song. It lifted a sombre mood to one of appreciation of what this great team had achieved since their first series victory in 2006.

The curtain had been drawn on one of sport’s great streaks but Meninga was determined to remind his players the spirit that created their victories still existed.
The Blues will need to play out of their skins to whitewash this team.
Johnathan Thurston was one of the most distraught Maroons and he had a lengthy talk with Meninga in the sheds.
Meninga’s post-match speech was also regarded by staff as one of the best he has delivered.

Queensland fullback Billy Slater said singing the team song after defeat was Menigna’s way of reminding them their state pride that created their streak.
“Mal just reiterated to be proud of what we’ve achieved, be proud of who we are and who we’re representing,” Slater told The Courier-Mail.
“That is always important, whether we win or lose we go out there and put our bodies on the line and have a never-give-up attitude and just all the Queensland things that have been going on for 30-odd years.
“We go out to all the rural areas during our camp and see what it means to the people of Longreach and Roma and north Queensland and Emerald and it means a hell of a lot.
“People live for this period for the year, for us to go out there and do our best is very important to us.’’

Limping Daly Cherry-Evans, who delivered one of Origin’s gutsiest performances, said Meninga brought a positive feeling to an otherwise crushing night.
“It was an empty feeling on a personal level but Mal put a good silver lining on everything,” he said.
Captain Cameron Smith said he hoped this team would be remembered as one of the great sides.
“It’s a disappointing feeling but at the same time we need to remember that we have done something very special over the last eight years,” Smith said.
“I’m pretty sure this will be the greatest Queensland side, if not the best rugby league side that’s ever played the game.’’

Error Page

Stealing thunder...

No, that comes when we tonk Gallen and co for six at Lang Park in a few weeks and the poor **** has to collect the shield.

I like it.

Nothing wrong with singing the team song at any stage, even after a loss.

Shows good team spirit IMO.

How is it stealing thunder when its done in private, in the dressing room.

I don't see a problem with it. The only people that would have an issue would be the sort that want to pretend that 2006 - 2013 didn't happen and Qld don't have any right to feel proud.

I like it.

Nothing wrong with singing the team song at any stage, even after a loss.

Shows good team spirit IMO.

Damn straight...!!

I'd much rather this steely resolve from QLD

469204-b007ad4e-f76a-11e3-ba3b-878da0800edb.jpg

Than the crying and whining we're used to seeing from the SOO loser......

731451-e336236e-5b37-11e3-b7ab-c407036b0b36.jpg

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Bish
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • jd87
  • Strop
  • kiwi2
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • theshed
  • Midean
  • Lazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
  • bazza
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.