State of Origin II - NSW v Queensland - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If NSW think they're about to start another dynasty they got another thing coming. Woods is the only forward under 30. Qld gave their players the chance to keep the streak going. I can't see too many changes for game 3, but there will most likely be a turnover (or changing of the guard) next year.

That last part I don't understand. Game 3 is a dead rubber, wouldn't that be the time for a turnover? We've got nothing to lose. Waiting until next year is just going to mean a repeat of this series

Hodges and smith are the only veterans that are automatic selections at the moment.

That last part I don't understand. Game 3 is a dead rubber, wouldn't that be the time for a turnover? We've got nothing to lose. Waiting until next year is just going to mean a repeat of this series

A lot to lose. NSW could win 3-0!

Come on you guys, we were robbed. NSW were allowed to slow down the play the ball just as much as they liked. All Bird or Haynes had to do was drop the ball when playing the ball to milk a penalty . Who were the video refs tonight.? What about Gallens swinging arm on Slater? As if the video refs didn't see Woods touch the ball on the kick off! We were up against 17 men if you include the two refs and the video refs. Sure we could have executed better but we were the better side tonight so go easy on the boys. The only disappointment I have isTaylor's stupid turnover pass.We have to have one ref from Qld and one from NSW and same goes for the video refs. Please remember Video ref Luke Pattern was absolutely OK with Gallens unprovoked assault on Myles last year.And I think I counted about 5 forward passes from Farrer at dummy half. Hayne the ref was NSW man of the match.

Out of all the posts i was going to quote in this thread, this is the one that i agreed with the most. That first half was just penalty after penalty for nsw in their own half for some of the stupidest things ive ever seen.

1. Thurston being penalised for a slap on Beau Scott, moments after gallen hit slater with a swinging arm to the head and nothing was said.
2. Dugan, not once, but twice, walking over the tackled player in the ruck which is a penalty 100% of the time in NRL
3. Hayne getting a penalty in the play the ball, when he used the ball to stand himself up. Again, thats a penalty 100% of the time in NRL.
4. The worst call of all. I dont know if we couldve scored, but a set on their line wouldnt have hurt. Woods touched the ball from the kick off. The refs missed it, but the vid ref didnt, so why couldnt he overrule it?? Massive turning point

Overall, QLD were the far better team. It felt like we were smashing them for 65 mins. The second half was just us pounding their line over and over, yet sadly we came away with nothing. Thaiday dropping it, Mcqueen dropping it, tate being held up. We couldnt finish them. The better team lost. All it took was 1 missed tackled on Hodkinson to end the reign.

As for the players.
Gillett: Yes, he was good in attack at times but **** he is the worst defender. How many times did the stupid cockhead run out of the line to put on a big shot, totally miss and then have nsw make a half break. Then, to try and make up for it, he goes for it again next tackle. i would be happy to never see him in a maroons jersey again.
Hodges: He was our best. Constant threat to the blues and really helped us get out of our half numerous times.
Inglis: Was better tonight, but just looks disinterested. If he got involved as much as hodges, we would win easy.
McQueen: his time is done. same as gillett, should not wear maroon again unless really desperate.
Taylor: Showed some good work ethic for once, went close to giving away several penalties. Cant decide who was to blame for his wayward pass. McQueen shouldve been there, but clearly not a winger.
The rest we got what we usually get, or worse. No other stand outs, good or bad

Losing like this sucks more than getting thrashed. we should have won that. we were the better team, but we just fucked up 1 too many times. Cant believe we couldnt score a try at all.

Looking at the DCE no try again, Reynolds wasn't at marker. J Hayne was behind Hodgo and in front of DCE when he got the ball, yet still ran DCE off the ball after his kick. That's a penalty every day of the week.

Reynolds was barely onside, but I think he was.

Tamou, however, was never even close, and he was the one between DCE and the posts who made him jink back to the outside (along with an onside Beau Scott).

In any case, it should have been a QLD penalty.

Who exactly? And for whom?
If he's not going to blood new blokes, at the very least put Inglis at fullback. I know slater is brilliant under the high ball and he played well given the injury but Gees at least try it

Actually Taylor was really good. Just made one mistake that turned the game.
I thought he was clunky and slow, seemed easy to get around him and second guess himself. Didn't look dangerous at all I thought. That last pass was just the icing on the cake.

I can't agree with all this Taylor trash talk, that one brain fade was bound to happen, but apart from that he was phenomenal in attack and defense in his short spurt, if he gets rid of the silly errors in his game he's probably the best backrower we've got, or close to it.

I thought he was clunky and slow, seemed easy to get around him and second guess himself. Didn't look dangerous at all I thought. That last pass was just the icing on the cake.

Apart from almost giving away a penalty on his first tackle and that last pass he was hitting the ball up well and defending just as well.

wish we could lure folau back. he'd kill it at fullback. we'd start a new dynasty for sure. wishful thinking at best :(

Definitely, but would be interesting to see if that changes if meninga ever wakes up and starts a handful of new guys, McGuire, Milford, Hunt etc

It goes beyond just them. Our lack of depth even for injury coverage was exposed this series. Matt Scott goes down, who replaces him? That's just one example.

I don't understand why they picked Taylor and played him through the middle. Lawrence or McGuire would have been more useful especially in the first half. He is just redundant in a team that has Gillett, Te'o, Guerra, Thaiday etc who can play on the edges. He gets into the team because the media constantly wanks over him.

Taylor was actually going quite well before he threw that pass to nobody. I was about to say to myself good coaching Mal before Taylor threw that. I hexed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • leon.bott
  • HVbronco
  • MrMoore
  • BroncosMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mark H
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.