Women's State of Origin

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Harvey Norman Queensland Women’s State of Origin team (in alphabetical order):
Chelsea BAKER – Queensland Country (Gladstone Wallabys)
Heather BALLINGER – Queensland Country (West Brisbane Panthers)
Annette BRANDER – Queensland Country (Brisbane Souths)
Brittany BREAYLEY – Queensland Country (Ipswich Brothers)
Ali BRIGGINSHAW – Queensland City (Ipswich Brothers)
Karina BROWN – Queensland City (Easts Tigers)
Frieda FAULATO SEU – Queensland City (Brisbane Souths) *
Maitua FETERIKA – Queensland City (Ipswich Brothers) *
Tazmin GRAY – Queensland City (Burleigh Bears)
Stephanie HANCOCK – Queensland Country (Brisbane Souths)
Tallisha HARDEN – Queensland City (Burleigh Bears) *
Kody HOUSE – Queensland Country (Ipswich Brothers)
Amelia KUK – Queensland City (Ipswich Brothers)
Rona PETERS – Queensland City (Burleigh Bears)
Rhiannon REVELL- BLAIR – Queensland Country (Emu Park) *
Mariah STORCH – Queensland Country (Blackwater Crushettes) *
Zahara TEMARA – Queensland City (Burleigh Bears)
Meg WARD – Australian Defence Force (Brisbane Souths) *
Coach: Jason Hetherington
Assistant Coach: Karyn Murphy
Assistant Coach: Nat Dwyer

Camp Saturday and off to Sydney Tuesday for Friday night.

Ali is obviously the player to watch, she is an exceptional player and lots of people are going to watch her next Friday on 9 and say if she was a boy she'd be playing NRL.

What do the "*" mean against the names?

I’m looking forward to this game.

Matches I’ve seen in the past have been brutal affairs. These women do not hold back.

While the skill level might be on a lower level to the men’s, these are usually entertaining games.

Make no bones about it, there are still some people who don't want Friday night's Holden Women's State of Origin to happen.
There are people who have said as much in private this week, and predictably, there will be similar responses in the comments section of this article when it is posted online.
They don't want it happening live on prime-time TV; don't want it happening under the State of Origin banner; don't want the women playing to such fanfare...at all...ever.
It's why the contest looms as an event where there will be a defiant victory well before fulltime.
Queenslanders love nothing more than an underdog story, of a group which threatens to be squashed underfoot, turning around and giving a salute to the disbelievers and detractors.
On a packed representative weekend, Friday night's Women's Origin fixture is the most difficult not to fall in love with.
And that's saying something.
The Pacific Test event, which will happen at Campbelltown on Saturday night, has been one of the most glorious and passionate adverts for rugby league in recent years.
There's a Test match happening in Denver, USA between England and New Zealand that holds immense potential for the game's growth.
There are Queensland v New South Wales match-ups in touch football, Universities and Residents guises – pitting the best of our Intrust Super Cup up against the Blues' own state competition.
Of course, it almost goes without saying that there will also be the unflinching behemoth of rugby league – men's State of Origin.
It'll be played on Sunday evening this time around, with the Maroons down 0-1 in the series and battling all types of injuries, hurdles and disruptions.
Just how us Queenslanders like it.
Yet, while all the cameras and journalists may have been at the men's Origin training sessions this week, the best story happened Tuesday evening at humble Brandon Park, Acacia Ridge.
who described playing for Queensland as "bloody unreal") and stuck around to sign as many pieces of apparel as they could.
In all, the Queensland Women's Origin team behaved as you would expect any team would if they had spent a century fighting for equal recognition on the field.
They behaved in the grateful manner befitting a group of women who juggle motherhood, weekday work and volunteer commitments, but who are also on the verge of consolidating their position as national celebrities.
If you'd spent most of your sporting career paying to represent your state and country, often being relegated to curtain-raisers for lower-grade men's games, you'd probably be thankful too.
In that regard, the scenes at Tuesday's clinic were not a shock, but it was both momentous and refreshing to be a present for.
Professionalism has bred an increasing cynicism and veneer between fans and athletes – across all sports
But the Women's State of Origin event is positioned at the perfect crossroads.
qw-062.jpg

It maintains all the fuzzy-hearted, direct-contact, personal emotions of community-based sport, yet is gaining the momentum and publicity that makes it one of the most entertaining tickets in town.
My wife, who began playing rugby league late last year, walked into her first training session off the street and was taught how to tackle by current Queensland and Australian representative Heather Ballinger.
That wasn't a one-off. Heather is there nearly every session, similar to how all the other Queensland players train with their local amateur club.
How many sports give you the chance to play and train alongside international reps from the first week you sign up?
In my wife's home nation of Brazil, the country's leading football stars have entourages, security and are rarely seen out in public.
She is still amazed that in Australia you can walk up to a rugby league player and ask for his or her autograph.
And she's even more surprised that most Australians have the respect not to mob them if they are out to dinner or walking with family, which keeps it a sustainable scenario.
Women's rugby league stretches right back to the early 1900s, where there were one-off exhibitions held in several seasons, but it's only in the last 30 years it has been regularly played on a fixture basis.
What's fascinating for sports buffs is that watching the emergence of women's rugby league is remarkably similar to what being present for the foundation years of men's rugby league must have been like.
What is old is new again. It's a chance to hop in a time machine and ride the excitement of the code flourishing at rapid speed.
Historic meeting of female and male Origin teams
>
Historic meeting of women's and men's Origin teams
There are times the women have had to rebel against authority, stage games in secrecy and coerce referees when governing bodies and insurance companies wouldn't support them – just like the men when they broke away from rugby union.
Just as men's rugby league in Queensland began primarily in certain employment sectors – notably railway workers – the women's game started out dominated by police officers, prison wardens, transport and defence force personnel, but has rapidly diversified as a sport for everyone.
There are still players being picked for Australia directly from clubs in 'the bush', and this year's inaugural NRLW competition will start with four teams – the exact number of teams the Brisbane Rugby League began with in 1909.
Even casual followers would know that female interstate contests are not new, yet this is the first time it will be classified as 'State of Origin' – and the first time it will be broadcast free-to-air on a Friday night.
As the QRL Media team travelled to Sydney yesterday, the comments from passengers on the plane, from airport and hotel staff were at least equally split between chatter about men's and women's Origin, if not slightly in favour of the women.
It's the wildcard, what marketing boffins might call the 'unique selling point', or 'point of difference' surrounding State of Origin in 2018, as compared to previous years.
It's what Russell Crowe might describe as "being in the zeitgeist".
Whatever it is, it's a lot of fun.

With all the Lesbians playing women's rugby league it makes you wonder how many players in the NRL are in the closet.

Make no bones about it, there are still some people who don't want Friday night's Holden Women's State of Origin to happen.
There are people who have said as much in private this week, and predictably, there will be similar responses in the comments section of this article when it is posted online.
They don't want it happening live on prime-time TV; don't want it happening under the State of Origin banner; don't want the women playing to such fanfare...at all...ever.

Is this start to the article really necessary? Admittedly, I don't live in Aus but I'm fairly sure most people either A) Think nothing like that about it, B) Are pumped for it, C) Are at least slightly interested, D) Don't really care or E) Are more focused on the men's origin purely because it has more history and context.

I'm sure there are idiots out there who feel the way this article starts but if this article were about the men's origin, would it ever be written like this? And you can be sure there are no doubt still some people out there (probably just as many, as in almost none) who still argue against origin happening at all.

Feel free to blast me for being politically incorrect, insensitive or whatever PC people like to do...but it doesn't change the fact this start to the article is entirely unnecessary and I have to be honest, I stopped reading at the above. I'm also admittedly on an anti-league media tirade these days, so sorry if these rants are getting a bit old.

Is this start to the article really necessary? Admittedly, I don't live in Aus but I'm fairly sure most people either A) Think nothing like that about it, B) Are pumped for it, C) Are at least slightly interested, D) Don't really care or E) Are more focused on the men's origin purely because it has more history and context.

I'm sure there are idiots out there who feel the way this article starts but if this article were about the men's origin, would it ever be written like this? And you can be sure there are no doubt still some people out there (probably just as many, as in almost none) who still argue against origin happening at all.

Feel free to blast me for being politically incorrect, insensitive or whatever PC people like to do...but it doesn't change the fact this start to the article is entirely unnecessary and I have to be honest, I stopped reading at the above. I'm also admittedly on an anti-league media tirade these days, so sorry if these rants are getting a bit old.

I didn't write it. QRL media did this piece.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/06/21/why-this-origin-week-is-different-to-all-others/

I am sure there are a percentage of people that don't think it should happen, what split that is I don't know but there is always negative people.

I think he's just highlighting what they've overcome and continue to overcome to get to tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Could not care less about Women's rugby league, representative or otherwise. I've watched a few games before and the standard of play is just shit, not interested.

Good on them if they can find a market of interested fans, but I'm certainly not going to be one of them.

I didn't write it. QRL media did this piece.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/06/21/why-this-origin-week-is-different-to-all-others/

I am sure there are a percentage of people that don't think it should happen, what split that is I don't know but there is always negative people.

I think he's just highlighting what they've overcome and continue to overcome to get to tomorrow night.

Sorry mate, that wasn't a go at you. I'm more just annoyed that it has to start with the old us against the world mentality. Instead of actually talking about the game, we are once again talking about media stupidity.

I'll watch it with my daughter (who will probably only watch 2 minutes of it) so that she can see that women can play footy too.

My dad is one of those that thinks women should not play sport for money because it's a man's job (ugh). I would have loved to see women play sport on TV when I was a kid and think that maybe I could play too. It's nice to see times are changing. And no one is saying these women are better athletes than the blokes playing on Sunday night.

Besides, If you can watch the Cowboys vs Parra then you can watch this.

(side note: I don't know how NRL got a rainbow gay award considering no one is brave enough to come out of the closet in the last 20+ years)

Sorry mate, that wasn't a go at you. I'm more just annoyed that it has to start with the old us against the world mentality. Instead of actually talking about the game, we are once again talking about media stupidity.

I don't think it's too dramatic to write it- I mean it has been an us and them mindset. It's their first time on 9 so they have had to overcome.

Cricket, soccer and AFL have probably paved the way the last three years. The fact we are only now getting so much domestic women's sport on tv has been a battle.

I'll watch it with my daughter (who will probably only watch 2 minutes of it) so that she can see that women can play footy too.

My dad is one of those that thinks women should not play sport for money because it's a man's job (ugh). I would have loved to see women play sport on TV when I was a kid and think that maybe I could play too. It's nice to see times are changing. And no one is saying these women are better athletes than the blokes playing on Sunday night.

Besides, If you can watch the Cowboys vs Parra then you can watch this.

(side note: I don't know how NRL got a rainbow gay award considering no one is brave enough to come out of the closet in the last 20+ years)
Excuse me for going off on a tangent.

I’ve only been on here a year or so, but every time I’ve seen you comment, I’ve wondered “is it mrs long, or mr slong?”

Now I (think I) know, what a relief :porthozthinksthisishot:.

Last edited:
Excuse me for going off on a tangent.

I’ve only been on here a year or so, but every time I’ve seen you comment, I’ve wondered “is it mrs long, or mr slong?”

Now I (think I) know, what a relief :porthozthinksthisishot:.

Same thing happened to me when I first joined.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.