NSW Game I Team

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Darius Boyd has been known as one of the best passing & kicking Fullbacks in the comp over the last 4 years or so, right?

Try Assists by year for Darius Boyd -

2015 - 8
2016 - 15
2017 - 7
2018 - 4*

Try Assists by year for James Tedesco -

2015 - 12
2016 - 12
2017 - 8
2018 - 4*

Fake news.

When on earth did this become about Boyd?

You somehow took a sarcastic post about Tedesco and turned it into a Boyd vs Tedesco debate despite Boyd never even being mentioned..

Good one..

giphy.gif

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Yeah but the season he won significantly in he played 24 games whilst Boyd played 15. He also played more games in 2017 and only beat him by one. Alternatively, Boyd played more games in the season he won significantly. Your stats prove that whoever plays more games gets higher stats but it does not show how many missed opportunities were caused by Tedesco not passing the ball.

The stats prove that they provide a similar level of Try Assists from the Fullback position. Darius Boyd has been called the best passing / assisting Fullback in the competition by almost everyone over the last 4 years, if Tedesco is in the same ballpark as him assist wise, he can't be as much of a hog as certain individuals are making out. The amount of tries he's bombed has nothing to do with that, I'm sure every Fullback has bombed plenty, even the better ones.

(This will serve as a reply to your comment as well @Super Freak, you weren't being sarcastic, you've said a few times that Tedesco is a hog / can't pass, which simply isn't factual correct, he's above average at setting up his teammates.)

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
When on earth did this become about Boyd?

You somehow took a sarcastic post about Tedesco and turned it into a Boyd vs Tedesco debate despite Boyd never even being mentioned..

I'll break the rules if I tell you my thoughts on that..
tenor.gif

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The stats prove that they provide a similar level of Try Assists from the Fullback position. Darius Boyd has been called the best passing / assisting Fullback in the competition by almost everyone over the last 4 years, if Tedesco is in the same ballpark as him assist wise, he can't be as much of a hog as certain individuals are making out. The amount of tries he's bombed has nothing to do with that, I'm sure every Fullback has bombed plenty, even the better ones.

(This will serve as a reply to your comment as well @Super Freak, you weren't being sarcastic, you've said a few times that Tedesco is a hog / can't pass, which simply isn't factual correct, he's above average at setting up his teammates.)
It absolutely does have plenty to do with it. He is known as a ball hog by many because of the amount of tries he has bombed by not passing the ball. He's also been known as one of the better fullbacks in the game despite this. If he did pass the ball more often he would have more try assists than Boyd.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

I highly doubt the bolded statement is correct. Boyd is very good (and I would say the best) in the sweep overlap play, but that is pretty much where his attacking prowess ends.
Given that is pretty much the only set play in the Broncos bag of tricks, it stands to reason he would get a lot of assists that way and be rightfully praised for it.

A better stat measure would be to compare fullback possessions in attack vs their results (try, try assist or even forced restart).

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
A better stat measure would be to compare fullback possessions in attack vs their results (try, try assist or even forced restart).

Don't see how that would work considering a majority of a Fullbacks possessions are kick returns, in which there'll be very few results. You'd have to do Fullback possessions in the opposition 20 vs their results, which I'd say is pretty much impossible to find out.

I still think Tedesco gets a bad wrap, he isn't a hog per se, yes, he backs himself a lot, but when you have a running game like his, that's quite often the highest % play. Doesn't mean he can't pass or is an unwilling passer.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Don't see how that would work considering a majority of a Fullbacks possessions are kick returns, in which there'll be very few results. You'd have to do Fullback possessions in the opposition 20 vs their results, which I'd say is pretty much impossible to find out.

I still think Tedesco gets a bad wrap, he isn't a hog per se, yes, he backs himself a lot, but when you have a running game like his, that's quite often the highest % play. Doesn't mean he can't pass or is an unwilling passer.
That's why I said possessions in attack. I obviously meant in the opposition's "red zone".

I am not implying anything in regards to Tedesco, only that the measure of try assists means little if not compared to said possessions. I do think he is a bit of a ball hog, but also agree it's understandable given his ability to run. I'd say Tommy Turbo and Slater are well ahead of him though.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Who the hell are they going to give the MOTM to now?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Still Jackson, following the Buhrer being captain by playing reserve grade every week.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The story regarding the Ryan James debacle has come out, it's essentially that Fittler had decided to go with James over Klemmer before the Bulldogs game Sunday arvo, but Klemmer played so well that Freddy changed his mind at the last minute, well after James had been told to pack his bags and that he was a part of the 20 man squad.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/30...rgin-debut-...-and-david-klemmer-missing-out/

Ryan James was at home packing his bags on Sunday night. He had even been sent his flight itinerary by the NSWRL and was told to join the Blues in Coogee the following morning.

He was on the verge of making his State of Origin debut. Then his phone rang. It was Blues coach Brad Fittler. But the ensuing call was somewhat of a nightmare than a dream come true.

Between leaving the Central Coast on Sunday morning a day after playing against the Roosters - where he was told by Titans officials that he was part of the Blues' 20-man squad - and the moment the NSW coach called him some eight hours later, something had changed.

Earlier that day, NSWRL general manager of football Barrie-Jon Mather had phoned Gold Coast's football manager, former Blues representative Anthony Laffranchi to inform him of James's selection in a 20-man squad.

James flew home with his Titans teammates on Sunday after the loss to the Sydney Roosters on top of the world.

When he landed, the Titans organised for someone to meet him at the club's Parkwood training facility to collect his gear to take with him to Blues camp.

He went home and began packing his bags. At the same time, David Klemmer was playing a game of football 1000 kilometres away against the Wests Tigers.

"Before the game on Sunday, Freddy said he was still undecided where it was at," Klemmer said.

"He said 'you just got to have a big game today'. It probably just put it in my head that I had to have a big game. It was obviously in the back of my mind, but I was still worried about getting a win for the Bulldogs."

Klemmer, unaware that at that very moment James was packing his bags to replace him in the NSW team, responded accordingly.

Phil Gould is one of Fittler's closest confidants. There's no doubt he would have known how close it was when he was calling the Bulldogs-Tigers game for Channel Nine on Sunday, which also had Fittler commentating on the sidelines.

Gould, well aware that straight after full-time Fittler would head across the road to the NSWRL's headquarters to inform the board of his team, wouldn't have much of an opportunity to talk to him after the game.

Did he use his commentary to send Fittler a message about his thoughts on Klemmer?
In the 26th minute, just after Klemmer was brought into the game, Gould chimed in.

"Just watching David Klemmer. He's come off the bench again today and he's already thrown three passes into his work before the line," Gould said on Channel Nine.

"He's trying to mix his game up a lot. One of the big things for him is that when he runs the ball and gets gang tackled he's pretty easily put on to his back. If he starts finding his front a little bit more to get a quicker play-the-ball, they are little things you can see he's working on in his game."

Was that a not-so-subtle message to Fittler?

Then 43 seconds later, Klemmer injected himself into the game again.

"Good play by Klemmer," Gould said before Ray Warren continued calling the play.

Two tackles later the set was complete, and Gould was provided a replay of Klemmer's most recent involvement.

"Look at Klemmer, using his footwork a little bit, holding the ball out and looking for the offload," Gould said in the call.

"It makes a big difference when your forwards are doing that rather than crashing into them and being gang tackled."

Clearly, Fittler was listening. Because by the time the final whistle blew, Klemmer was in and James was out, as cruel as it may have been.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I seriously dislike Ryan James, but LOL, that is some amateur hour bullshit. Surely you'd let him come in as 18th man.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I seriously dislike Ryan James, but LOL, that is some amateur hour bullshit. Surely you'd let him come in as 18th man.
He's not even in the 20 picks... this is just hilarious.

Active Now

• Browny
  • bazza
  • kat00
  • Huge
  • Alec
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.