PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
And that should be on the cap... but Uncle Nick is allowed to do what he wants apparently.

Easy for a player to accept 100k less in cash if Uncle Nick is providing accommodation that is in the order of who the **** knows in Sydney... $1k per week is $52k a year that the player no longer has to pay, which is near enough to $100k when tax is brought into it.

I heard that rorters have a unit complex or something in Sydney's eastern suburbs that they use to house juniors coming through... I'd assume that's a fair chunk of change that an 18yr old no longer has to pay, whilst being in a prime location.

This has been openly promoted in the media, so how is that not included in the salary cap?
Every team does this. Broncos have a house too do they not.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I do think people are underestimating the money side of things. Any close offers, he stays, no question at all. If we come in at $900k for example, and Rorters come in at $1.3 million ( plus " extras " from both clubs, i think he leaves.

The Rorters problem is any issues and they cut you loose pretty brutally. When JNik went there, they did everything for him. He didnt have to pay for anywhere to live, sponsored car etc but as soon as they wanted his over inflated salary gone, they binned him ( which he was partly to blame for ). Thats the sort of thing Selwyn needs to look at more than money at somewhere like the Rorters.

I'd be more worried about Souths with Wayne going there tbh. They have a strong aboriginal connection there, and they need a rebuild. Following in the footsteps of his idol may also be appealing.

Partly to blame?

Which part is on him? The bribing a team mate to say he spiked his drink the falsifying a stat dec? The two failed drug tests resulting in 12-month ban? The drink driving?

Yeah you're right I'd say he's only responsible for 18%

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
And that should be on the cap... but Uncle Nick is allowed to do what he wants apparently.

Easy for a player to accept 100k less in cash if Uncle Nick is providing accommodation that is in the order of who the **** knows in Sydney... $1k per week is $52k a year that the player no longer has to pay, which is near enough to $100k when tax is brought into it.

I heard that rorters have a unit complex or something in Sydney's eastern suburbs that they use to house juniors coming through... I'd assume that's a fair chunk of change that an 18yr old no longer has to pay, whilst being in a prime location.

This has been openly promoted in the media, so how is that not included in the salary cap?

Every club has houses for young players, and you're allowed five cars for players.

Paul Bunn and his wife lived there to house Broncos and look after them.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Partly to blame?

Which part is on him? The bribing a team mate to say he spiked his drink the falsifying a stat dec? The two failed drug tests resulting in 12-month ban? The drink driving?

Yeah you're right I'd say he's only responsible for 18%

You dont know the whole story, so yes, partly to blame. He was no angel, he's admitted he wasnt and nobody is excusing his behaviour, but there's plenty that went on at the time a more supportive club would have stepped in and helped with.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I do think people are underestimating the money side of things. Any close offers, he stays, no question at all. If we come in at $900k for example, and Rorters come in at $1.3 million ( plus " extras " from both clubs, i think he leaves.

The Rorters problem is any issues and they cut you loose pretty brutally. When JNik went there, they did everything for him. He didnt have to pay for anywhere to live, sponsored car etc but as soon as they wanted his over inflated salary gone, they binned him ( which he was partly to blame for ). Thats the sort of thing Selwyn needs to look at more than money at somewhere like the Rorters.

I'd be more worried about Souths with Wayne going there tbh. They have a strong aboriginal connection there, and they need a rebuild. Following in the footsteps of his idol may also be appealing.
Come on @Wolfie 'Aboriginal' is a noun and should be capitalised. Same as you write Australian with a capital. 👍

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
You dont know the whole story, so yes, partly to blame. He was no angel, he's admitted he wasnt and nobody is excusing his behaviour, but there's plenty that went on at the time a more supportive club would have stepped in and helped with.

Tell me which club would have kept him while he served 12 months out?

The worst thing for him would have been to get a third chance. He needed to get away.

Sharks sacked Barba after his second test. I can't remember reading how the Sharks should be more supportive and caring towards Barba.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Tell me which club would have kept him while he served 12 months out?

The worst thing for him would have been to get a third chance. He needed to get away.

Sharks sacked Barba after his second test. I can't remember reading how the Sharks should be more supportive and caring towards Barba.

As usual, twisting things. Nobody was saying anything about keeping him on or he needed to stay were they? Thats something you have decided to bring into the debate, nobody else even said they should. Weird.

Just making the point things happened there a better club would have stepped in with when they saw it happening to a young man making a lot of mistakes. Might surprise you, but you can still offer players support to help them out even if they dont have a choice but to part ways with them. Called common decency. Just because they stuff up doesnt mean you should get cut loose with no support offered at all.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
As usual, twisting things. Nobody was saying anything about keeping him on or he needed to stay were they? Thats something you have decided to bring into the debate, nobody else even said they should. Weird.

Just making the point things happened there a better club would have stepped in with when they saw it happening to a young man making a lot of mistakes. Might surprise you, but you can still offer players support to help them out even if they dont have a choice but to part ways with them. Called common decency. Just because they stuff up doesnt mean you should get cut loose with no support offered at all.

You said his sacking was “brutal” and he was “binned”

Warning the same thing could happen to Cobbo.

Does a person use brutal and binned if they think he should be sacked?

Suggests to me you think sacking him was brutal.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You said his sacking was “brutal” and he was “binned”

Warning the same thing could happen to Cobbo.

Does a person use brutal and binned if they think he should be sacked?

Suggests to me you think sacking him was brutal.
I didnt say his sacking was brutal at all, thats just you twisting things. I believe the way the Rorters get rid of people is brutal at times, its not specific to Jayden Nikorima. And yes, i think Cobbo should look at that. Maybe have a chat with Jayden himself.

Jayden was binned. He got himself into trouble and left himself open to what happened. These days, he has no complaints about it either.

My point which you choose to ignore, like every point anyone makes you cant accept because it doesnt suit your narrative, is that they could have helped him out sooner, and they could have given him a bit more support after it all happened. That doesnt mean they employ him, they just need to act like decent human beings. I think thats brutal, but as i said before, when it suits them, i think the rorters are brutal when it comes to disposing of players.

Lets not forget though, they had spent ages shopping him around to other clubs because they needed cap space for Cronk and nobody wanted him. If i was a conspiracy theorist, i could make a good story out of that.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I didnt say his sacking was brutal at all, thats just you twisting things. I believe the way the Rorters get rid of people is brutal at times, its not specific to Jayden Nikorima. And yes, i think Cobbo should look at that. Maybe have a chat with Jayden himself.

Jayden was binned. He got himself into trouble and left himself open to what happened. These days, he has no complaints about it either.

My point which you choose to ignore, like every point anyone makes you cant accept because it doesnt suit your narrative, is that they could have helped him out sooner, and they could have given him a bit more support after it all happened. That doesnt mean they employ him, they just need to act like decent human beings. I think thats brutal, but as i said before, when it suits them, i think the rorters are brutal when it comes to disposing of players.

Lets not forget though, they had spent ages shopping him around to other clubs because they needed cap space for Cronk and nobody wanted him. If i was a conspiracy theorist, i could make a good story out of that.

So it's brutal sacking and you used him as an example of a brutal sacking but it's not brutal- warranted but when I do drugs and sell out a team mate please sack me with love and care in your eyes.

Do you think maybe the gap between the first failed test and second failed test was full of support and education?

Do you think maybe happy to lie and bribe other players and end his career was a bit of tipping point and maybe not someone that can be at club?

Nuh all the salary cap- only partly him.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
So it's brutal sacking and you used him as an example of a brutal sacking but it's not brutal- warranted but when I do drugs and sell out a team mate please sack me with love and care in your eyes.

Do you think maybe the gap between the first failed test and second failed test was full of support and education?

Do you think maybe happy to lie and bribe other players and end his career was a bit of tipping point and maybe not someone that can be at club?

Nuh all the salary cap- only partly him.

Never even said the sacking was brutal, i clearly said the treatment overall can be. You just make up shit in your weird little mind. Cutting loose isnt the same as sacking. Might be to you, but as i've explained what i believe it is, you are either too stupid or too ignorant to take in.

No point with you. Everything gets twisted. Absolutley pathetic .

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Back And Forth Sport GIF by Roland-Garros

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I think Billy always had a plan for his 17 the more I think about it, it would have been KP's role had he been fit but Cobbo has taken it since he is the next most dangerous player available.

Had he not he would have taken Holmes spot imo.

The way we was used in the trial game against the devils suggests he is doing that 2nd fullback/roaming lock role if injuries are not required as a Big X factor moment in the game.

He will likely cover 1 to 5 even maybe 6 for injuries and 13 if otherwise.

Watching his growth of a player since he has came into first grade has been amazing, this year has been another level again, with excellent fullback showings and already proving to be one of the best centres of the game right away.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I think Billy always had a plan for his 17 the more I think about it, it would have been KP's role had he been fit but Cobbo has taken it since he is the next most dangerous player available.

Had he not he would have taken Holmes spot imo.

The way we was used in the trial game against the devils suggests he is doing that 2nd fullback/roaming lock role if injuries are not required as a Big X factor moment in the game.

He will likely cover 1 to 5 even maybe 6 for injuries and 13 if otherwise.

Watching his growth of a player since he has came into first grade has been amazing, this year has been another level again, with excellent fullback showings and already proving to be one of the best centres of the game right away.

Valentine has good goal kicking form lately .
That might have got him across the line .

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.