2012 Predictions

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Everyone wrote us off at the start of last year as a team that would miss the eight and look how we went.

What do you think about 2012? I honestly feel like we can be top 4 again. I'm really excited to see what happens post-lockyer, whatever lineup combo with go with (not really looking to discuss that in this thread though ;) )

i reckon we can finish 3rd or 4th again, definitely.

Top four due to sheer consistency and attitude. I'm envisioning a year very similar to what Melbourne had this year. Without Locky I'm not sure we'll have the extra gear for finals footy.

I'm quite pessimistic about the chances of one of our young halves stepping up. I believe we'll have to enter the market at some point in the year.

I think an injury free Te'o will have a huge year, and am expecting Baptise to become a regular in the 17.

Definitely Top 8 imo, but a bit wary of Lockyer's loss impact...

So glad we got rid of Henjak last year, because I trust Hook to steel our youth now that RL's god no longer guides them.

Griffin and Wallace in particular will be judged on next year. I doubt we'll see the cavernous lows of 2010 since Griffin's relationship with the players is polar opposites to Henjak's.

If we can sort our halves partners out early, we are a chance...otherwise we will miss the 8 I think.

I dunno. I get a very 2000 feel about this. Alf had retired the year before, we had a pretty inexperienced backline apart from Sailor, De Vere and Lockyer (and new recruit Ikin), and Kevin Walters our only real recognised half, very much on the decline in his career. But we had a superb forward pack mixed with experience (Tallis, Webcke, Campion, Thorn, Howard), and youth (Civoniceva, Priddis, Harrison, Carlaw, Meyers).

Despite not really having a great halves combination (mixtures of Walters, Ben Walker, Ikin) the forwards dominated so much that it didn't matter, we ground teams to oblivion.

Is the Broncos squad of 2012 as good as that team? No. But the pack has a similar mix about it, similar quality, and if they play to their potential and can dominate their opponents more often than not, there's no reason we won't make top 4.

The question is whether we have the cattle to win when it counts in the finals after that. To be honest, even the 2000 team struggled in that respect, but just got the job done (down 20-6 at half time in the quarter final, and had to hang on desperately to beat Parra in the preliminary final, although never really looked in doubt against the Roosters in the GF).

A couple of months ago I was't too confident. I looked at all the other clubs and how they handled their legends leaving, Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra etc. etc. and thought it'd be a tough ask. But then I started thinking about our side, and most of it is made up of players who have been here for years, we haven't gone out and bought other players from different clubs with their own unique mantra, all our players are Broncos without doubt.

Now, 2012 might be too early for a premiership, but I can see this brigade winning a premiership within the next 3 years. There's just something about this unit and their attitude and dedication to the club that reminds me of the good ol' days. The biggest question of course is how our halves will perform. They hold the key next year. If they do their job, we could very well be enjoying premiership #7. If not, we'll either be pretenders or cannon fodder. Either way, it's going to be an interesting season and I'm looking forward to the post-Lockyer years.

It mostly depends on how Lockyer's replacement goes IMO. They'll need to have a blinder of a year for us to be real premiership contenders.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.