2017 Broncos Will Be Premiers If?

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
Hi guys, I just singed up today. Nice to read posts from people who are passionate about the Broncs.

Anyway, on to my 1st thread. I like to dream that we could be the yard stick this year and comprehensively win the premiership like we used to.. What's it gonna take?.. Hypothetically dreaming it could happen if:

• We can make a star out of at least one of our young forwards (THIS YEAR).
  • If we put Jimmy on the other side of the field FFS!
  • If we take the quick tap over the going for goal.
  • If Kahu converts around 75% with the boot.
  • If Ben Hunt & Milford have their best year to date.
  • If our squad stays relatively injury free.
  • If we win 50% of our games through origin period.
  • If Jimmy can improve on last year.
  • If..... Ben Hunt takes it to another level against the Cowboys and is ruthless in the finals series we may be to good for all comers I think..
Of course I have my doubts and it doesn't take a lot to go wrong for any teams year to be over but I'm very pumped up about the 2017 Broncos. 2015 got me feeling like I was a 12 year old boy all over again. To see the Broncos become a heavyweight again was really special and I'll never forget it. If you dismiss the last few minutes of the 2015 grand final I believe it was perhaps one of the best Broncos seasons of all time. 2016 had it's moments and I could never write the boys off.

Sorry if I'm basically bringing up the same old topics but I have read all the threads and wanna read more of what ya's have got to say. Dream big, what surprises could the broncos manufacture this year?

What is it gonna take for this star studded team of ours to break the drought and win the premiership?? Are we gonna end up like the Eels?... As in, once were great but seemingly will never taste 1st place champagne again?.. Shudder.. Surely not..

Cheers guys, hopes ya's had a good Oz day.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
To me, we won't win the premiership unless we get that hunger back that we had in 2015.

Hunt and Milford explode this year, our forward pack could do better, we could stay injury free and win most of our games, but none of that will matter unless we have that desire.

We were missing that last year, even when we were on top of the ladder, we just didn't have that same ruthlesness about us that we had in 2015.

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
To me, we won't win the premiership unless we get that hunger back that we had in 2015.

Hunt and Milford explode this year, our forward pack could do better, we could stay injury free and win most of our games, but none of that will matter unless we have that desire.

We were missing that last year, even when we were on top of the ladder, we just didn't have that same ruthlesness about us that we had in 2015.

Agreed.. Hunger to get the job done by any means necessary. That is when the Broncos win the premiership and quite often we have left the competition behind in those years.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Welcome aboard, you've chosen a fine forum to be apart of and I'm sure you'll make yourself welcome in no time.

Nice activity as well, nice to see some positive vibes.

Here's a couple for me:

1. Either Korbin Sims, Joe Ofahengaue or Herman Ese'ese must step up. It's been years since the Broncos have had a big body prop in the middle who can just chew through the metres and with Parker gone now is a great time to change tact.

2. Tom Opacic has to replace Reed in the centres. In an ideal world, Jordan Kahu stays injury free and realises his potential at left centre, but I just can't see that happening. Opacic is a solid all-round centre that compliments the backline nicely and can work the ball out of trouble.

3. Benji Marshall has to star during the Origin period and nab us some unlikely wins. I get the feeling we're going to see the odd flash of brilliance from Benji, but for him to earn his keep, he's going to have to star and be the difference in these games. Brisbane need a Top 4 birth and can't afford another Origin slump like last year. It just takes too much of a toll out of the boys.

4. Anthony Milford must get a taste of Origin. At 23, Milf is entering that age where he's got to start making representative sides or he'll fail to mature into the player he ought to be. I have no doubt last year the Origin ban got to him and the closer we got to representative season, the more Milf started to drop his head. In fact, you could almost trace his form drop to the Samoa fiasco where he couldn't play for them. In order for Milf to have a break-out year and to go to the next level, he needs either an Australian or Origin cap.

5. James Roberts has to score 15+ tries.

6. Pangai Jr has to earn a Super Freak highlights package.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
2016 had it's moments and I could never write the boys off.

It was quite easy to from Rounds 13-21, yeah we had players out for a few of those games but even with a full compliment they had lost the desire to work for each other culminating with some of the worst defence you'll ever see from a Broncos team.

In particular, the games against Melbourne and Penrith at home were a disgrace, but there were red flags earlier in the season when we clocked off against Penrith in R3 and got blown off the park by the Sharks in R9.

What is it gonna take for this star studded team of ours to break the drought and win the premiership??

Which brings me back to what I was just mulling over.. it all boils down to belief and desire to work for each other for 27 games. A repeat of whatever happened to the playing group last year can't happen again.

We don't have a power game, and hanging on for dear life late in the game hasn't served us well so the combinations need to be spot on and both sides of the field better utilised to play to our strengths - unrelenting defence and scoreboard pressure.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
If they can beat the storm and cowboys

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Roberts can stay exactly where he is. He would only **** our left hand side combo with his selfishness and refusal to pass the ball.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
All comes down to hunger/desire. And a good kicking game *flicks match onto gasoline and walks away*

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Desire, hunger, determination may all be right answers...but they're so boring!

I'd love to hear more specifics, what games do the Broncos have to win? Which players have to step up? Overs and unders?

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
1.Milford needs to take control more,lead the team and roam more.
2.Young forwards Offa and Pangai jr need to come on and make big impacts off the bench.
3.Roberts needs more room to move, you can't just give him the ball and expect something brilliant Hunt needs to draw and pass better.
4.Repeat sets, Milford needs to kick more regularly and Hunt needs to kick earlier not when his on the defensive line.

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
Sometimes our score line would be almost double, but for goal kicking fails.
So for me it's that. A lot.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Boyd is the key. He needs to inject himself into the right side attack the way he did when playing for Australia. He also needs to be a better communicator than Parker was in the big moments. Take these talented kids by the scruff of the neck and tell them exactly what is needed.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • thenry
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.