2017 Line-Ups

In this situation, Papalii wasn't driving under the influence while attending a Queensland Origin event, so in Kev's eyes it isn't his problem.

But it still does help that Papalii is really important to the team.

I could see that train of thought if it was a GI, Boyd, JT and the like but Papalii hasn't been THAT integral to Queensland and it wasn't like the players who were suspended were total duds either.

This isn't like Canberra punishing Steve Irwin while trying their best to accommodate Todd Carney.

I'd probably understand the hypocrisy angle more if Kevie had have banned Joe Ofahengaue from playing Origin for his indiscretion while turning a blind eye to Papalii but that hasn't been the case. Largely because Joe is a thousand to one to play Origin this year.

Having a poke through the Qld eligible list, our forwards just seem... underwhelming. Maybe it's a lack of opportunity, but man, we seem to be really struggling on that front.

We've been able to rely on Myles & Scott as our starters, and no-frills workers like Lillyman on the bench, with Thaiday, Papalii, Parker etc able to spend time in the middle when required. With Myles not even fit for NRL, and Scott injured, it either means that we're seriously fucked, or it gives guys like McGuire, Napa, etc the opportunity to prove themselves as Qld's new premier middle forwards. Lillyman is probably still performing enough for a bench spot, but this has to be his last year. Sims looks made for Origin, I'd be genuinely surprised if he's not at least 18th man. Wallace I'm not sold on yet, but he's well exceeded expectations from even a year ago. Papalii I still consider a back-rower. And there's something off about Guerra this year, and he's not going to have it so cruisy without Inglis outside him holding the defence off. He's been named in the 13 all year for the Roosters, so that's an option?

Parker's retirement is probably just as damaging to the side's balance as Scott's injury. I just don't know if our lack of experienced props means we need to play McGuire in the front row, or his transition to lock happens at all levels.

08 Napa
10 McGuire
11 Thaiday
12 Gillett
13 Guerra / Papalii

15 Lillyman
16 Papalii / Guerra
17 Wallace

18 Sims

The lack of experienced starting props does it for me, McGuire needs to be there. The obvious alternative would have Papalii start in the front row, allowing McGuire to shift to lock, as Guerra might get through a lot of tackles but he's not a powerful runner like McGuire (or Parker was). Is Papalii a viable lock? But a Napa / Papalii starting prop combination just doesn't seem to have that fear factor that Scott / Myles, Scott / Civoniceva, or Price, Webcke etc from a generation ago.

Thurston out for the season..

If we're picking on form you'd have to go Norman or DCE wouldn't you?

Can't see us winning origin this year.

That's the spirit!!!! Maybe this will just make it an even fight.

I seem to remember when DCE had to step up......he failed miserably, but I also seem to remember thinking at the time that his style would be far better suited partnering Cronk instead of Thurston. I'd be willing to give him first shot personally. Just don't give it to Morgan Kevie

Thurston played Origin at the same age. They'd both be fine.

We need a 5/8th, not a halfback which rules Taylor out IMO. That's not taking into account his age, inexperience etc either.

I actually think Hunt would go alright partnering Cronk tbh considering he's more 6 than 7 as well. I'd rather they not pick any Broncos though tbh.

My gut feeling is that Walters will go:

6. Milford
7. Cronk

That feeling is based on the fact that Milford will be there long term.

With the Thurston news, Milford was caught in the showers celebrating..

tenor.gif

Yeah, I suspect we may see Milford there, and he's the ideal partner for Cronk, and vice versa!

Can you believe the QRL has put out a statement about Thurston. Talk about straying out of your lane. Surely there is only the need for the Cowboys to comment on the injury as his employer. Hate how the QRL tries to promote the Maroons outside the Origin window all year. It's 3 games a year ffs!

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • davidp
  • Xzei
  • jd87
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Financeguy
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.