OPINION 2020 Season in Review

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
2015 notwithstanding (and even that isn't saying much), 2020 feels like the culmination of over a decade of rot. A decade of ever growing indifference and decay within a once proud, disciplined and strong club that, once upon a time never would have imagined EVER earning the kitchenware. We've gone from being notable for missing finals to being notable for being wooden spooners in a one team town in the very same year the AFL get to host a Grand Final at the Gabba that might very well include the Lions. Swell.

It goes without saying at this point, but Seibold will go down in history as the worst coach this club has ever been saddled with. Henjak can finally get a good nights sleep. The damage his brief but expensive tenure has done to this squad and this club can scarcely be measured. South Sydney must have been rolling in laughter when they realized they would be trading out that snake oil salesman for Bennett. They must have thought we were sniffing glue, and I'm not entirely sure they would be that far off. Now we ARE glue. Seibold was throwing random shit at the wall in the vein hope that something might stick throughout his entire time here and it was so, so obvious from the get go. Not only was he out of his depth, he dived into the shallow end of the pool thinking it was the deep end, hit his head on the bottom and slowly floated back to the top like a limp turd. An absolute disaster from beginning to end, and thank god the end came quicker than we thought. Enjoy the money while it lasts I guess, and better make a few sound investments too, because you will never coach first grade again anywhere.

The thing that reallly gets under my skin most though is the response to this catastrophic period from the people ultimately responsible for it. Paul White in particular has frankly shown utter contempt for the club and its fans, and a pathetic disregard for the mess that he helped create from the moment he knew he was outta here anyway 12 months ago. He is the "Game of Thrones final season" of CEOs and I hope his new employers are quaking in their boots at the attitude he has displayed when the going really got tough; from the moment he made a dogs breakfast out of Bennett's departure, failed to sign Bellyache, grabbed Pies on a ludicrous and desperate contract to save face when it was clear Bennett was too far gone to backpeddle on, and rather than stand up and show some accountability for his and the boards **** ups, disappeared into the bunker to kick his feet up and ride the storm out the moment he realized what he had done. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, you miserable ****.

It's stating the obvious at this point for many people on this forum, but the stranglehold Newscorp has on this club has well and truly turned gangrenous. Whether we are flying high on top of the ladder and drawing huge revenue and television ratings, or floundering right at the bottom while they sell our misery to the mouth breathers down south, they win either way. I really don't have much to say about Karl Morris. He is clearly just a powerless puppet to a far bigger, cynical machine and not even worth discussing. We need our own Nick Politis to come along and just lance this boil right out of the club for good, but such a thing would be nothing short of a miracle from the footy gods. That contemptible organization and its evil dried up toad of a leader won't give up their stake without a fight, because they know they can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to the Broncos. Sadly it seems our only hope is that they voluntarily jump ship to Brisbane 2 after sucking whatever blood this club still has left in its veins right out and leaving the shrivelled corpse behind for either the carrion or whoever is brave enough to attempt to resurrect it.

The players are not without blame either. Shit coach or not, most of the efforts we have seen from them this year have been nothing short of insipid, and a perfect demonstration of what happens when the lunatics get the run of the asylum under a dickless, rudderless footy department. I remember the utter misery I felt way back in 2010 when Canberra smashed us 56 - blot and we all knew then that Henjak was a dead man walking, and this year has felt exactly like that week in, week out for 18 weeks. Defence is attitude, and our F/A speaks for itself in that regard. Alex Glenn as captain has been an utter failure, and the fact that a journeyman quality player like him who the club didn't even want anymore to begin with can get the captaincy at all says a hell of a lot about our roster management. Israel Folau remains the last true "big name" signing that we actually got some bang for our buck out of, and that is nothing short of an indictment.

I've never been happier to see the back of a player more than Boyd, whose attitude this season has felt like a mirror of the club as a whole: indifferent, arrogant and without accountability or remorse. I hope he chokes on a burrito bought with the money he cynically wrung out of us when he knew he was finished 2 years ago, and he will never, ever feel like a club great to me. Good riddance to him. Milford is easily THE most overpaid player in the comp at the moment and has failed to live up to the lofty expectations he set for himself early in his career, and unless we see a dramatic shift in form from him in 2021, he may as well clean his locker out come next August because he will be hitting the bricks, and it would be a bold club that would risk taking him and his baggage on board for anything more than bottom of the barrel wage. What a disappointment. Joe O and Corey Oates can hit the bricks even sooner. Another pair of well overpaid plodders who have thumbed their noses at the fans for far too long. I've never thought much of Joe as a player, but the nosedive in form and commitment we have seen from Oates over the past few years has been frankly heartbreaking. I expected him to be a one club player, now I can't wait to see the back of him.

Are we seeing a theme here? Our roster/cap management has been a laughing embarrassment for far too long. Peter Nolan and whoever else is responsible for it needed to be shown the door mid season when it was first clear we were going nowhere and had millions of dollars worth of cap warming the benches injured or suspended. The Kahu saga was so astonishing in its incompetence that they all really should have been cleaned out then. Any other self respecting club would have turned the footy department upside down and shook vigorously the moment they discovered that collossal **** up, and the worst part is it may yet happen again with McCullough.

I'm sorry to be so negative guys, I really am, but it is literally 95% dogshit and 5% positivity at the moment, the 5% being Dearden, Staggs, Carrigan and Haas, who despite such a disheartening environment around them have given us the only glimpses of joy to be found in this historical dumpster fire of a season. It is going to take a huuuuge effort from the incoming coach and his team to pick up the pieces and root out the toxins, and it sure as hell won't happen in one off season, which leaves said coach in a position of vulnerability from the outset. We are in grave danger of slipping into a position of perpetual underperformance and mediocrity that the likes of the Dragons, Bulldogs, Warriors and Souths have seen for many years, and lets face it, we've already been there for almost 15 years. 2006 feels like a lifetime ago, and the contrast between the quality of the squad then compared to now couldn't be more stark.

0/10 season, and I'm not being facetious. A big fat donut. Everyone at the club from top to bottom should hang their heads for embarrassing this city.

Hard to argue with any of that.

I don't want to make any excuse or lessen the misery of our first spoon, somewhat alleviated by the joy of seeing the end of Boyd. But I have to wonder what our ladder position would have been without the season pausing and restarting with surprise new rules the way it did. We won our first two matches pretty well, based on a powerful and feared young forward pack. When we eventually resumed, this pack's advantages had been seemingly nullified with the quick six-again calls and generally faster game.

I think all the faults you identified would have shown themselves eventually but would we really have been worse off than the Dogs?

2015 notwithstanding (and even that isn't saying much), 2020 feels like the culmination of over a decade of rot. A decade of ever growing indifference and decay within a once proud, disciplined and strong club that, once upon a time never would have imagined EVER earning the kitchenware. We've gone from being notable for missing finals to being notable for being wooden spooners in a one team town in the very same year the AFL get to host a Grand Final at the Gabba that might very well include the Lions. Swell.

It goes without saying at this point, but Seibold will go down in history as the worst coach this club has ever been saddled with. Henjak can finally get a good nights sleep. The damage his brief but expensive tenure has done to this squad and this club can scarcely be measured. South Sydney must have been rolling in laughter when they realized they would be trading out that snake oil salesman for Bennett. They must have thought we were sniffing glue, and I'm not entirely sure they would be that far off. Now we ARE glue. Seibold was throwing random shit at the wall in the vein hope that something might stick throughout his entire time here and it was so, so obvious from the get go. Not only was he out of his depth, he dived into the shallow end of the pool thinking it was the deep end, hit his head on the bottom and slowly floated back to the top like a limp turd. An absolute disaster from beginning to end, and thank god the end came quicker than we thought. Enjoy the money while it lasts I guess, and better make a few sound investments too, because you will never coach first grade again anywhere.

The thing that reallly gets under my skin most though is the response to this catastrophic period from the people ultimately responsible for it. Paul White in particular has frankly shown utter contempt for the club and its fans, and a pathetic disregard for the mess that he helped create from the moment he knew he was outta here anyway 12 months ago. He is the "Game of Thrones final season" of CEOs and I hope his new employers are quaking in their boots at the attitude he has displayed when the going really got tough; from the moment he made a dogs breakfast out of Bennett's departure, failed to sign Bellyache, grabbed Pies on a ludicrous and desperate contract to save face when it was clear Bennett was too far gone to backpeddle on, and rather than stand up and show some accountability for his and the boards **** ups, disappeared into the bunker to kick his feet up and ride the storm out the moment he realized what he had done. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, you miserable ****.

It's stating the obvious at this point for many people on this forum, but the stranglehold Newscorp has on this club has well and truly turned gangrenous. Whether we are flying high on top of the ladder and drawing huge revenue and television ratings, or floundering right at the bottom while they sell our misery to the mouth breathers down south, they win either way. I really don't have much to say about Karl Morris. He is clearly just a powerless puppet to a far bigger, cynical machine and not even worth discussing. We need our own Nick Politis to come along and just lance this boil right out of the club for good, but such a thing would be nothing short of a miracle from the footy gods. That contemptible organization and its evil dried up toad of a leader won't give up their stake without a fight, because they know they can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to the Broncos. Sadly it seems our only hope is that they voluntarily jump ship to Brisbane 2 after sucking whatever blood this club still has left in its veins right out and leaving the shrivelled corpse behind for either the carrion or whoever is brave enough to attempt to resurrect it.

The players are not without blame either. Shit coach or not, most of the efforts we have seen from them this year have been nothing short of insipid, and a perfect demonstration of what happens when the lunatics get the run of the asylum under a dickless, rudderless footy department. I remember the utter misery I felt way back in 2010 when Canberra smashed us 56 - blot and we all knew then that Henjak was a dead man walking, and this year has felt exactly like that week in, week out for 18 weeks. Defence is attitude, and our F/A speaks for itself in that regard. Alex Glenn as captain has been an utter failure, and the fact that a journeyman quality player like him who the club didn't even want anymore to begin with can get the captaincy at all says a hell of a lot about our roster management. Israel Folau remains the last true "big name" signing that we actually got some bang for our buck out of, and that is nothing short of an indictment.

I've never been happier to see the back of a player more than Boyd, whose attitude this season has felt like a mirror of the club as a whole: indifferent, arrogant and without accountability or remorse. I hope he chokes on a burrito bought with the money he cynically wrung out of us when he knew he was finished 2 years ago, and he will never, ever feel like a club great to me. Good riddance to him. Milford is easily THE most overpaid player in the comp at the moment and has failed to live up to the lofty expectations he set for himself early in his career, and unless we see a dramatic shift in form from him in 2021, he may as well clean his locker out come next August because he will be hitting the bricks, and it would be a bold club that would risk taking him and his baggage on board for anything more than bottom of the barrel wage. What a disappointment. Joe O and Corey Oates can hit the bricks even sooner. Another pair of well overpaid plodders who have thumbed their noses at the fans for far too long. I've never thought much of Joe as a player, but the nosedive in form and commitment we have seen from Oates over the past few years has been frankly heartbreaking. I expected him to be a one club player, now I can't wait to see the back of him.

Are we seeing a theme here? Our roster/cap management has been a laughing embarrassment for far too long. Peter Nolan and whoever else is responsible for it needed to be shown the door mid season when it was first clear we were going nowhere and had millions of dollars worth of cap warming the benches injured or suspended. The Kahu saga was so astonishing in its incompetence that they all really should have been cleaned out then. Any other self respecting club would have turned the footy department upside down and shook vigorously the moment they discovered that collossal **** up, and the worst part is it may yet happen again with McCullough.

I'm sorry to be so negative guys, I really am, but it is literally 95% dogshit and 5% positivity at the moment, the 5% being Dearden, Staggs, Carrigan and Haas, who despite such a disheartening environment around them have given us the only glimpses of joy to be found in this historical dumpster fire of a season. It is going to take a huuuuge effort from the incoming coach and his team to pick up the pieces and root out the toxins, and it sure as hell won't happen in one off season, which leaves said coach in a position of vulnerability from the outset. We are in grave danger of slipping into a position of perpetual underperformance and mediocrity that the likes of the Dragons, Bulldogs, Warriors and Souths have seen for many years, and lets face it, we've already been there for almost 15 years. 2006 feels like a lifetime ago, and the contrast between the quality of the squad then compared to now couldn't be more stark.

0/10 season, and I'm not being facetious. A big fat donut. Everyone at the club from top to bottom should hang their heads for embarrassing this city.

Holy shit IBM, this is one epic post lol. Bang on target too.

Last edited:

Possibly the best forum post you'll read here ever on Broncos HQ . Because sadly that's fact not just considered opinion.

While I wholeheartedly agree with almost everything you've written IBM - there have been positives this season aside from Siebold and White leaving.

1) With the quantity of injuries we have had, we got to see most of our 30 take the field and get a grasp of how they handle NRL level. Some, like Riki, Dearden, Bullemor and Paix have shown they can handle it and will be mainstays at the club next season.

2) There's no hiding behind a spoon, the humiliation is complete. There are no "buts" or twisting of stats/words that can lessen what that title means. Last year there was lots of big talk around fixing things after getting smashed out of the finals in round 1. Then the "buts" started, at least we made the finals, we did x, y, z better than those other teams below us etc. Those excuses are dead and buried. Hopefully nothing but accountability remains and this is a catalyst for real and significant change in the club - top to bottom.

3) We are nearly at the end of having huge salary cap dollars tied up in ineffective or overpaid players. Bird and Milf are coming into their final year and I seriously doubt we'll see either in Broncos colours in 2022. Boyd and Kahu gone, McCullogh maybe gone, TPJ one infamous step away from being cut lose. Butter finger Flegler will probably struggle to match his current contract as he's really not lived up to his potential and has been very error prone. Oppa will hopefully **** off to the dragqueens.

That gives us a huge amount of financial clout to lock up Staggs, Dearden and co. Heck, we may even struggle to spend our salary cap in the next 2 years unless we may some major big name signings, we may decide to front load Staggs and Dearden because why not? We should probably also throw a carrot Haas' way because he really is on unders considering his value to our team, should at least be getting more than butter fingers flegler.

4) Despite a few absolute spuds like Oates, the team has improved considerably over the last few weeks. Defense is improving, scoring more points. I feel we've turned a dark and deep corner. The unknown is how long it actually takes to get back to where they were 2 years ago.

Great post @Skathen

#2 is especially salient, I really do believe this closes the chapter on the 2015-2020 Broncos.

If there ever was a post that perfectly summarizes the 2020 version of the Broncos, then IBM has nailed it. I can't disagree with any of it and the emotions that you expressed are exactly how we are all feeling. 10/10 post, mate.

Excellent post IBM!!
I am glad it is over and perhaps we can start to climb, even though it will be a very steep hill.

As an aside, I would love to see, as an experiment, the reactions of the players as a whole if someone took the 6-Again bell noise into the change rooms or to a training day and played it really loud. I am willing to bet the mood would instantly shift. Like, time it to a moment when all the players are having a laugh and feeling comfortable and then play that bell and see how they react.

What would then be even more interesting as an experiment is having the coaching staff direct the team at the chime of the bell to increase intensity in their defensive drill. Increase line speed, increase tackle intensity, whatever it may be.

I am almost certain that the Pavlovian response would kick in and could thus be utilised as a psychological weapon.

(No, I am not Anthony Seibold and this is not some Harvard crap. I just think it would be funny and really interesting.)

A lot of people are saying they’re over it and don’t care, but honestly I’m fucking furious that my team and club have become a laughing stock.

The way this has happened is not acceptable. The absolute circus within the club must never happen again and for that we need to get Lockyer off the board. He’s still my GOAT, but he has shown time and time again that he is not a businessman or anything resembling a competent administrator. Karl Morris can follow Paul White out the door, along with half the others.

I have zero qualifications but even I know not to give a one-hit wonder coach a five year multi-million dollar contract. I mean for ***** sakes just read that proposal again and anyone who is blindly happy to go along with that should seek a assessment of their mental faculties. And that’s even before he tried to overanalyse the game and confuse his players to within an inch of their sanity.

There’s a lot more we could say about the club, but it’s been rehashed a thousand times over by every member on here, so let’s focus on the governing body.

**** Vlandiddly for screwing the comp for a season (at least), the incompetent and blatantly biased refereeing has only gotten worse and teams are getting arbitrarily awarded free sets for no reason, or at least false reasons.

This deserves as much of an asterisk as the Storm cheating years, the Sharks 2016 title where they definitely weren’t over the cap, just the years either side of it and Uncle Nick and every Sombrero team for the last decade.

I love this sport, and I love my team, but goddamn do I hate the NRL.

A lot of people are saying they’re over it and don’t care, but honestly I’m fucking furious that my team and club have become a laughing stock.

The way this has happened is not acceptable. The absolute circus within the club must never happen again and for that we need to get Lockyer off the board. He’s still my GOAT, but he has shown time and time again that he is not a businessman or anything resembling a competent administrator. Karl Morris can follow Paul White out the door, along with half the others.

I have zero qualifications but even I know not to give a one-hit wonder coach a five year multi-million dollar contract. I mean for ***** sakes just read that proposal again and anyone who is blindly happy to go along with that should seek a assessment of their mental faculties. And that’s even before he tried to overanalyse the game and confuse his players to within an inch of their sanity.

There’s a lot more we could say about the club, but it’s been rehashed a thousand times over by every member on here, so let’s focus on the governing body.

**** Vlandiddly for screwing the comp for a season (at least), the incompetent and blatantly biased refereeing has only gotten worse and teams are getting arbitrarily awarded free sets for no reason, or at least false reasons.

This deserves as much of an asterisk as the Storm cheating years, the Sharks 2016 title where they definitely weren’t over the cap, just the years either side of it and Uncle Nick and every Sombrero team for the last decade.

I love this sport, and I love my team, but goddamn do I hate the NRL.
Hahaha as much as we sound sour for the year that was and our team being shit didn't help, when you lay out the last few years of the NRL it's clear something smelly is going on.

2016 Sharks and even their peptide farce was an absolute joke.
Cam Smith's wife's ring. Wtf? Seriously.
The rule change at round 3 giving refs a lot of influence.
Eels going from dead last to top (look how they play now with refs not blasting 6-agains so boldly)
Penrith calling the game managed despite winning, paying a "fine" to the NRL, which then results in them getting some very lovely calls from the NRL... I mean refs.
Bunker in, bunker out.
Inconsistency in MRC. This may be my bias but I'm not sure.
Even them sacking Badger reeks of nepotism (Sutton & sons), which is essentially a financial corruption any way you cut it.

The NRL looks pretty average to me.

Great post.

2008 Paul white entered the club, the rest is history.

Send this to the club. Great post mate.

Lol trust me I would love to, but with some of the angry words in there, I'm sure they would just add me to the block list.
Great post IBM, unfortunately I fear that the people running our club into the ground have absolutely no concept of what accountability means. If they did, the Board would be going as well, or at least those parts of it more responsible for the current clusterfuck.

The worst Broncos there ever were.

But in all seriousness - we've not been a force in a very long time. 2015 was aberrant in my opinion as we had literally sacked Hook the season before for the team not going anywhere. Before Hook, we had Ivan who was even worse. There is at least 12+ years of rot in this club that needs to be dragged out into the sunlight and I'd be inclined to believe it may have even started before Bennett left in '08.

I believe it was @Huge that spoke earlier this year about our players needing the school of hard knocks, rusty tin sheds with cold showers at training and a hard yakka job on the side to learn some work ethic again. This may teach them to appreciate what they've got - off the backs of those blokes who probably never earned a million bucks in their whole career let alone in a season.

I believe it was @Huge that spoke earlier this year about our players needing the school of hard knocks, rusty tin sheds with cold showers at training and a hard yakka job on the side to learn some work ethic again. This may teach them to appreciate what they've got - off the backs of those blokes who probably never earned a million bucks in their whole career let alone in a season.

"I'll just go somewhere that pays me the same and doesn't make me do that shit"

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • broncsgoat
  • Jedhead
  • Maroon4life
  • leon.bott
  • Kev_Guz
  • Dash
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Alec
  • dudemcdude4976
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.