POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

Ivan Cleary was glowing about us in the presser, says it is scary where we will be next year. He said they were having nightmares trying to contain us even in the first half. He said we were an absolute handful and had his side gassed more than he can remember.

This sort of stuff needs to be shown to the boys because while we probably overachieved this year, next year we very much have the cattle to go one game further.

My biggest concern is how much this stupid Vegas trip will take out of us with all that travel.
Historically in the nba it doesn't go well for teams that travel in the preseason. Especially early. Will be a great experience but that might take a month or so to get over. Will be an interesting watch on those 4 teams.

Ivan Cleary was glowing about us in the presser, says it is scary where we will be next year. He said they were having nightmares trying to contain us even in the first half. He said we were an absolute handful and had his side gassed more than he can remember.

This sort of stuff needs to be shown to the boys because while we probably overachieved this year, next year we very much have the cattle to go one game further.

My biggest concern is how much this stupid Vegas trip will take out of us with all that travel.
Why couldn’t they just put a game of origin on a big projector during gday usa. I hope the 4 teams have an agreement to just do some globetrotter stuff and not go too hard.

Historically in the nba it doesn't go well for teams that travel in the preseason. Especially early. Will be a great experience but that might take a month or so to get over. Will be an interesting watch on those 4 teams.

St Helens have struggled all season too in the ESL. I'm so worried because given Reynolds' age, it probably is a our last legit shot with him.

My hope is that even though we will struggle early, we will do a Penrith and work toward our best come finals next season. I am expecting us to splutter along for the first two months of the season until origin.

Why couldn’t they just put a game of origin on a big projector during gday usa. I hope the 4 teams have an agreement to just do some globetrotter stuff and not go too hard.

They are premiership rounds. The whole thing ticks me off.

I knew not to count our chickens before they hatch after they came back against the Storm in '20(they still lost though) but we had their measure until that fateful pass that went to ground. Even then we seemed in control until that horrible missed tackle from Capewell on Cleary. How did they have a front row forward running in support and we had no one?

After that it was a comedy of errors and some Cleary brilliance. Carrigan got hit high and dropped the ball. Heard the ref say "accidental" but Carrigan was visibly shook and though it should have been a penalty.

What I'm most disappointed with is Reynold's performance. He didn't miss the tackles that counted but his decisions put us under immense pressure, resulting in points. Those line dropouts. Jesus. Still the best signing we've had and he's a big part of why we made it to the GF but last night wasn't his best.
Nailed it.

Also, they controlled & manhandled us in the middle. Always 3 in a tackle against us and they made sure we hit the ground before able to get up & play the ball. The Reff didn’t allow us to do the same through out the game.

Wouldn’t say this alone cost us the game rather
1. silly mistakes,
2. take it for granted when the score is 24-8,
3. Not doubling/tripling when defending, and most importantly,
4. Adam failing to take control of the game during the last 20min.

Wonder what happened to Adam even before the kickoff. He’s not his usual self. Maybe I’m looking it wrong but something has been running on in his mind. I’m disappointed n him just for this game. My only concern is - he doesn’t go into a shell rather want him to come out of it strongly next season.

I’m really gutted like everyone here.

I expect the same 2 teams to make the GF next season with only difference of the winning team. We can definitely do that.

Nailed it.

Also, they controlled & manhandled us in the middle. Always 3 in a tackle against us and they made sure we hit the ground before able to get up & play the ball. The Reff didn’t allow us to do the same through out the game.

Wouldn’t say this alone cost us the game rather
1. silly mistakes,
2. take it for granted when the score is 24-8,
3. Not doubling/tripling when defending, and most importantly,
4. Adam failing to take control of the game during the last 20min.

Wonder what happened to Adam even before the kickoff. He’s not his usual self. Maybe I’m looking it wrong but something has been running on in his mind. I’m disappointed n him just for this game. My only concern is - he doesn’t go into a shell rather want him to come out of it strongly next season.

I’m really gutted like everyone here.

I expect the same 2 teams to make the GF next season with only difference of the winning team. We can definitely do that.
Reyno was shitting bricks before the game. He was the most visibly nervous I’ve seen a senior player interviewed pre match. I messaged a few people really concerned by his demeanour- right from that video of him kissing his family goodbye.

I’m dreading this trip for the boys. I cannot believe they’ve agreed to do this as a premiership round.

St Helens have struggled all season too in the ESL. I'm so worried because given Reynolds' age, it probably is a our last legit shot with him.

My hope is that even though we will struggle early, we will do a Penrith and work toward our best come finals next season. I am expecting us to splutter along for the first two months of the season until origin.

It's a 12 hour flight each way, and they will be on board a chartered United flight where they'll be sitting up front.

The travel from LA to Vegas is not worth talking about it's so short.

Unlikely they will be hitting regular airport terminals, and crowds.

If they schedule is to play a bottom feeder in round 2, it'll be fine.

Well, that was a hard one to take.
2015 has been a painful memory and I think this one is just as bad. We were up by 16 points ffs.
At 24-8 the game should have been over. Either kick on with it or just play smart footy (preferred).
We did neither.
We all love Reyno and I know that we wouldn't have made it this far without him but some of the decisions last night are what you would expect from a 50 game halfback. For whatever reason he was just off and it cost us massively. Those short drop outs were costly. His in game kicking, costly.
My worry is that I don't think we will improve next year. Flegs and Herbie are massive losses. Reyno will be a year older and I expect he will break down a little more than he did this year. Putting a heap of pressure on the likes of Mam and Walsh whilst they're still so young.
Bottom line is, that was a massive missed opportunity.

Reyno was shitting bricks before the game. He was the most visibly nervous I’ve seen a senior player interviewed pre match. I messaged a few people really concerned by his demeanour- right from that video of him kissing his family goodbye.

It starts to make sense why he can't get another blues jersey. Can't handle the big ones.

Am fine with it, but let's make sure we hire someone who can work on that with him.

They are premiership rounds. The whole thing ticks me off.
Yeah doesn’t seem fair on the 4 teams. Of course the storm and panthers aren’t going. Send the whole comp there for a magic round or at least just an all stars game in pre season.

It's a 12 hour flight each way, and they will be on board a chartered United flight where they'll be sitting up front.

Its the jetlag as well among many other biological factors from long haul flights, time zone difference, etc along with a later preseason because we went so deep this year. If the NRL wants this, it should be every club going. Then of course no doubt we'll play origin affected in NZ again and because of the ridiculous media whinge no doubt have to travel to Sydney more too for reasons.

He looked the most nervous out of everyone which was crazy to see considering he had the most experience. I’ve never seen him so shaken up, the pressure was too much for him. They needed his experience and leadership last night and unfortunately they couldn’t get that from him but I know he’s gutted

You know we'll be scheduled to play the Panthers in round 2 ... not a bottom feeder

The totally random draw will give us Penrith in Round 2.

@Foordy beat me to it

Its the jetlag as well among many other biological factors from long haul flights, time zone difference, etc along with a later preseason because we went so deep this year. If the NRL wants this, it should be every club going. Then of course no doubt we'll play origin affected in NZ again and because of the ridiculous media whinge no doubt have to travel to Sydney more too for reasons.

The travel component is overstated when you have a strength and conditioning department with people who can mitigate jetlag.

Might be a bit of rust for a week, but we've seen what the young guys in this team can do too.

It's only a single hop to the USA. Any talk of jetlag will just be excuses.

The totally random draw will give us Penrith in Round 2.

@Foordy beat me to it

Need to show more faith in our CEO. Doesn't seem like the sort of guy who would agree to something like this without some provisions in place to protect his team.

I was so proud to see there was more broncos fans then Penrith!! It was so amazing!!! The crowd was going crazy each time for the broncos. I was thinking this is our night!! Just my luck I was Seated with all Penrith fans and I found 2 broncos fans between them. We were hugging each other and rubbing it in their faces when broncos were winning 😂 When they lost the panthers fan who didn’t speak to me all game, turned to me and shook my hand and said unlucky. I just wanted to cry when he shook my hand😂

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Stix
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.