POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

I think the most disappointing part of the result is that Ezra Mam performance won't get the recognition it deserves. That opening 15 minutes of the 2nd half was the most enjoyable 15 minutes of Rugby League I've watched in years. It would've gone down as one of the great Five-Eighth finals performances, tearing apart the best defensive side in history, almost single handedly. Instead, it'll be long forgotten. Overshadowed by Cleary's heroics.

Disappointed. Not quite as bad as 2015, but not far off. I knew what was coming as soon as Leota scored, we were out on out feet.

Probably would of gone down as one of the best individual performances in a GF and if we kicked on like every other game this year I'm sure a 4th might of been on the cards.
But that grand final is going to be remembered for Nathan Cleary just like 15 will be remembered for Thurston and not something like the Oates 95m try.

the utter silence from every single broncos fan heading home on a packed train.. it was haunting

the utter silence from every single broncos fan heading home on a packed train.. it was haunting

Had some fuckwit repeatedly saying ‘we’ll never talk of this game again” … and then continued to talk about it

Young bloke next to me was rightfully ready to deck the idiot and was only saved by the train arriving at a stop we were getting off at

Big part of the loss tonight, looked as though it happened when the guys, like all of us, thought we had the game wrapped up. Huge adrenaline dump, and their heads collectively went to lifting the trophy and how good it was gonna feel. Big mistake, and one that will not happen again.

Physically, I thought we had it over them.

Mentally and emotionally, we did not.
I knew we weren’t safe when we hit 24, we had a period there where we looked good but it was only brief, Penrith we’re all over us, every set we had to start was on our own line. When they scored their first try of the second half I knew we were gonna lose, could feel the collapse coming. All those dumb errors and lack of leadership, no kicking game, retarded dropouts all came back to bite them. Even if we held out I think Penrith were the better side for the night, scoreline flattered us.

This hurts.

To be 24-8 up and lose......

Still some learning to go. I really hope the origin game experience of some of the boys would keep the Panthers out. They ran out of energy mentally to control the game.

This is worse than 2015, honestly. Good game well played but fml

Honestly going to be very hard for Penrith to lose moving forward. They have such a large catchment and great development and can keep a lot of these players on pretty low contracts because they all came from nothing.

Penrith is the fucking ghetto so when you have some 18 year old they jump at a 3-4 year deal on $200k. Meanwhile all our young players go to private school and have the media talk them up since they are 13 and want $500k+

I didn't have the heart to come on here last night and I've woken up and come to work on Monday morning and I still don't really have the words. Just kinda blanking on it at the moment. Mates and my family are saying things like "it's fine, it was close, there's always next year!" etc. but I think we all know how hollow that feels and how monumental a task that will always be. No doubt I'll end up being unbelievably proud of this team and our achievements this year and continue to support them as staunchly as ever moving forward, but it's gonna take a little while to get there. I got over 2015 and 2020, so I'll get over this but it's gonna haunt me for a while.

We will need another crop of players.

Won’t come back from this.

It’s 2015 all over again
I want to hope we can be there again next year but who do we have coming in to replace Flegler, Farnworth and Palasia?

Sketchiest night of sleep I've had for a long time.

One thing that has helped, though, is reading all the posters here who haven't lost faith and who recognise - as badly as this one hurts, and holy fuckballs it hurts - that this year was still a great achievement given where we have come from, and that we will be forged by this into something stronger.

@ZTop , mate, please, if you need it, seek some help. There's no weakness there. As others have said - hit me up via PM, I'm happy to chat about better things.

One thing that's frustrating me is the way the game was reffed. I'm not saying we voted bad calls - but to suddenly put the whistle away because it's the GF changed the complex of the game. It shouldn't be one extreme or the other - and above all it should be consistent. If that game had more (deserved) stoppages, do we get as fatigued? If there are more set restarts, both ways, does the one that is blown have as big an impact?

Will never know, of course. Just another one of those what ifs that's going to mess with my head for awhile...

Some of you are reacting like

Ezgif 5 bc27eaef10

I still haven't & never will. lol

"Got over" was maybe the wrong term. I'll never forget exactly how much it hurt. "Managed to move on with life and filed the majority of the bad juju away in a 'Do Not Open' portion of my memory banks" might be more accurate lol.

One thing that's frustrating me is the way the game was reffed. I'm not saying we voted bad calls - but to suddenly put the whistle away because it's the GF changed the complex of the game. It shouldn't be one extreme or the other - and above all it should be consistent. If that game had more (deserved) stoppages, do we get as fatigued? If there are more set restarts, both ways, does the one that is blown have as big an impact?

Will never know, of course. Just another one of those what ifs that's going to mess with my head for awhile...

Oh please.

The ref had a great game

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • blacknwhite
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.