2023 Season review/reminiscing

I could even take things back to the trials. What about Reece Walsh with one of the best conversions you'll see? Somehow gets it to bend the other way to nail a sideline conversion against the Titans, right up there with Hazem using the wind as one of the best kicks I've seen.

The cross-field kick for Arthars to score in the corner in the clutch. Cows went all guns blazing whereas Brisbane were missing a few key players.

Herbie's second try against the Panthers. Brisbane at their unpredictable best with Ezra tearing the defence apart and Herbie out-enthusing Crichton to the football.

Ezra's try right on half-time off the Oates inside kick, leading to the Broncos just completely tearing the Cowboys down the fringes. That try right at the death with Herbie putting Walshy over was the cherry on top.

Brisbane hitting 40 points for the first time since the Bennett era and going on a rampage to put the Dragons away. They finally found another gear and it was so good to watch.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE! The Staggs run-away try to seal the first ever Battle of Brisbane. Reynolds putting Capewell over to take the lead was also great.

Corey Parker going completely silent in the second half of that Titans game when Brisbane got a roll on.

Ezra's try saver on Katoa and Walsh's near strip on Warbrick. Walsh was so unlucky in that moment and I think that split second decided that game.

Sailor's try-saver against the Warriors and the ridiculous amounts of streakers over in Napier.

Credit to the bounce against the Sharks, coming off an Origin, playing away and still getting the dub.

Brisbane pulling it out against the Knights with Ezra throwing that flick pass back to Reynolds. That game had ambush written all over it - bad whistle, a well rested opposition and the boys did so well to hang in.

Broncos at the Gabba with Cobbo's miracle try in another hard fought game.

One of the wackiest judiciary hearings of all-time. A farcical process really, but Walshy had to take his medicine and he came back from it better than ever.

Billy taking a selfie infront of Mahoney who got all salty.

The Reece Walsh backflip against Souths which in retrospect was a huge momentum shift in the season.

Patty's try against the Roosters and just about everyone at the stadium tackling him.

Following it up the week after against the Cows. Brisbane blew so many tries that afternoon, they were awesome to watch but seeing Walshy take the game by the scruff and break down in emotion was really sweet.

Finally hitting 50 against the Eels, a small measure of revenge after 2019 and 2022 and it was about this time where I genuinely felt confident about the Broncos.

The Melbourne win was so good you could have rolled credits right there. Still a very nervous performance, but the commitment in defence and the ingenuity from players like Reynolds with the short kick off was fantastic.

Walshy putting Billy over for his second like he had been shot out of a cannon, no sweeter picture.

OK Lads I feel like a suitable enough amount of time has passed since “the bad thing happened” and I can start to think about what happened in 2023 without weeping and nashing of teeth, and which of those things sparked the most joy.

So I’ll start with my favourite Broncos things:

1.) Beating the Storm. I can’t remember such joy and satisfaction when we started piling the points on in the 2nd half. I had genuinely believed that we were never going to beat this team again. And to do it in our first final post wooden spoon to send us straight into the prelim was GLORIOUS!!!!

2.) Magic Round vs Manly. My favourite non finals games of footy. The festival atmosphere, famous footy stars taking photos with kids, everyone from every club just getting amongst it; and we absolutely belted Manly. again. How good was it!

3.) Patty’s try. I just loved it and him
So much. Words can’t explain.

4.) Ezra mams flick pass to reyno. It was the moment I realised we have a real player here.

5.) Reece Walsh: you guys, we no longer have to be the fans looking on watching other teams cheer for blokes like Mango, Slater and Benji - we have our own whiz kid and boy is it fun when he’s wearing your jersey!

6.) beating the bunnies. It was probably at this point when I realised maybe we were going to go far this year and we might not capitulate like 2022. Also, F the bunnies. Thanks Souths.

My favourite non bronco moments:

1.) The cowboys season capitulation. LOL! especially the part where they got beaten by then tigers by 60odd and I enjoyed every moment. Also enjoyable: South’s worst capitulation in NRL history.

2) the Tigers again, beating Panthers. Nathan Cleary didn’t know what happened.

3.) I didn’t love the rise of the Wahs like most people, but I did enjoy watching SJ and Tohu do well.

4.) Origin. I have a love/hate with origin, because I hate how it derails the NRL and Broncos season year after year, but there was a certain smugness to beating the *unbeatable* blues team back to back, and winning down a man coming from behind with 10 minutes was thoroughly enjoyable.

So, what is your thoughts on 2023 the year that should have been…….

All those times when you were pessimistic about the Broncos chances of winning .Oh this is the boogie man team , so and so is out , we never win at such and such stadium and other such hand wringing, and they won regardless .

Nah, a win definitely would have made the off-season better. At least I could have be watching 2023 replays without wanting to kill someone.

I just never, ever saw the appeal of re-watching a game of footy. If it's not live, I'm not really interested at all. So now I'm just. Bored.

I just never, ever saw the appeal of re-watching a game of footy. If it's not live, I'm not really interested at all. So now I'm just. Bored.
You pick up stuff every time.

Once the emotion is out of it, you can watch with a more clinical eye and I enjoy following (as best the coverage will allow) certain players. Just to see what they are doing and how their contribution meshes together to provide that ‘team effort’.

To me it’s similar to music. I love when I can find my favourite band‘s individual tracks. Just listening to the vocals all alone or the guitar track or whatever and work out how they mesh together to create the composition. Adds a lot more to the overall experience to me.

If there is one thing I think would be great, similar to when they mike up a player, is if the TV stations could get some AI involved and follow individual players on camera. Like a ‘choose your own adventure’ type on a replay. Make it a bit more interactive.

Who wouldn’t want to watch 80 minutes of their favourite superstar aka Reecey or Patty or Ezra or whomever and see their whole game stripped down Without all the ‘noise’ around it?

I could even take things back to the trials. What about Reece Walsh with one of the best conversions you'll see? Somehow gets it to bend the other way to nail a sideline conversion against the Titans, right up there with Hazem using the wind as one of the best kicks I've seen.

The cross-field kick for Arthars to score in the corner in the clutch. Cows went all guns blazing whereas Brisbane were missing a few key players.

Herbie's second try against the Panthers. Brisbane at their unpredictable best with Ezra tearing the defence apart and Herbie out-enthusing Crichton to the football.

Ezra's try right on half-time off the Oates inside kick, leading to the Broncos just completely tearing the Cowboys down the fringes. That try right at the death with Herbie putting Walshy over was the cherry on top.

Brisbane hitting 40 points for the first time since the Bennett era and going on a rampage to put the Dragons away. They finally found another gear and it was so good to watch.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE! The Staggs run-away try to seal the first ever Battle of Brisbane. Reynolds putting Capewell over to take the lead was also great.

Corey Parker going completely silent in the second half of that Titans game when Brisbane got a roll on.

Ezra's try saver on Katoa and Walsh's near strip on Warbrick. Walsh was so unlucky in that moment and I think that split second decided that game.

Sailor's try-saver against the Warriors and the ridiculous amounts of streakers over in Napier.

Credit to the bounce against the Sharks, coming off an Origin, playing away and still getting the dub.

Brisbane pulling it out against the Knights with Ezra throwing that flick pass back to Reynolds. That game had ambush written all over it - bad whistle, a well rested opposition and the boys did so well to hang in.

Broncos at the Gabba with Cobbo's miracle try in another hard fought game.

One of the wackiest judiciary hearings of all-time. A farcical process really, but Walshy had to take his medicine and he came back from it better than ever.

Billy taking a selfie infront of Mahoney who got all salty.

The Reece Walsh backflip against Souths which in retrospect was a huge momentum shift in the season.

Patty's try against the Roosters and just about everyone at the stadium tackling him.

Following it up the week after against the Cows. Brisbane blew so many tries that afternoon, they were awesome to watch but seeing Walshy take the game by the scruff and break down in emotion was really sweet.

Finally hitting 50 against the Eels, a small measure of revenge after 2019 and 2022 and it was about this time where I genuinely felt confident about the Broncos.

The Melbourne win was so good you could have rolled credits right there. Still a very nervous performance, but the commitment in defence and the ingenuity from players like Reynolds with the short kick off was fantastic.

Walshy putting Billy over for his second like he had been shot out of a cannon, no sweeter picture.
I think going forward Walsh has to be our second kicker, he has experience as first choice at warriors and when he has kicked has been good too.

Some great highlights in this thread and I agree with most of them.

A big plus for me was through the whole season, we only lost one game that we truly deserved to lose, against South’s at suncorp.

All the other defeats could, and should have been different.

So I’m looking forward to a similar mentality in 2024.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.