2023 State of Origin - Game II Discussion

Has anyone in Origin ever turned around and thumped someone from their own team for being an absolute knob to someone from his club team? That would be amazing.

Isn't that something that happened in the first Origin with some Parra players? Like it became Origin folklore that "ooh this Origin thing is actually pretty serious"?

I thought we were up against it going into the series because I thought our backs were outgunned...2 games later and the QLD 1-5 look monstrous. Even Coates, he was a beast.

I thought it was a real team effort, but the spine in particular really stepped up in Game II. Cameron Munster in particular made a point to get his hands on the ball more and he was always involved with his best plays largely getting Queensland out of trouble, either working it off the goal-line or cleaning up at the back. That Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow try in particular just came off the back of Grant and Munster's work around the ruck and creating the numbers out-wide.

The play of the game was Cherry-Evans cover tackle. If he doesn't chase, NSW would be up in the shadows of half-time and it would be a completely different ball game. Chez makes the tackle, everybody else gets back and somehow Queensland defend another set when they should have been toast. Then Patty targets that corridor Queensland had been working on all evening, pops one of his best ever offloads and Queensland take their opportunity.

In one passage of play, Queensland summed up the difference between the two states. The Maroons backed themselves and went for the juggular while the Blues for whatever reason ran it back in-field.

It gave Queensland the impetus in the second half and they were able to bring Reece Walsh into the game. That second man play to Walsh is their bread and butter attacking play and the way Walsh is able to create space for his outside men is just second to none. Two tries, both at crucial stages (first blood in the second half, then to get one back after Cook's try) just goes to show how effective he was.

The forwards were as relentless as ever and there was just no give. That was evident with Collins winning Man of the Match off the bench, imagine those early exchanges and then the best player on the ground comes on. You just can't get around him and that trap and scrap to signal and end to his stint was fitting.

I could only imagine how the game would have played out if the penalty count wasn't so lopsided. That was my biggest concern heading into the game and when Murray nearly milked a sin-bin by running into Tino while he was off-side I had my heart in my throat. If you want to see blatant ref ball that was it. 8-2 penalty count, 10-4 if you're including set restarts. Keep in mind, one of those restarts was after Reece had been bowled over in the air and THEN flopped on after making a huge break.

On top of that, we got another reminder why the captain's challenge is a stupid system. Either Atkins got it wrong and NSW kept their challenge, or Klein was wrong to give them that challenge in the first place.

The fact Queensland just rolled with the punches and played to the whistle was a real testament to them.

JAC has now proven what an absolute flog he is after that effort last night on Walsh.

What a fucking pea-hearted **** to come running in off your wing, to be behind basically your whole team and throw a punch at someone who is pinned. And then to walk off after getting binned with a shit eating grin just shows what an A grade fuckstick this bloke is.

JAC has now proven what an absolute flog he is after that effort last night on Walsh.

What a fucking pea-hearted **** to come running in off your wing, to be behind basically your whole team and throw a punch at someone who is pinned. And then to walk off after getting binned with a shit eating grin just shows what an A grade fuckstick this bloke is.

Dont forget his little effort on him early in game one.

I just couldn't believe they didn't start with Cook at dummy half. In a decider behind enemy lines you want players who have done the job for you before and Cook had been a lynch-pin in the side since 2018 and the best dummy half they'd had since Bedsy. The way they tossed him aside for Koroisau defies belief, especially after Koroisau's own selfish actions in the 2021 series when he was 18th man.

Instead not only do they double down, but they flick Cook out of the team altogether before giving him an impossible assignment. It clearly wasn't working at half-time and instead of moving Yeo or Young out there, they stuck with it. Thankfully even the average fan realises how dumb the move was and he isn't being scapegoated for their incompetence.

Same deal with Cameron Murray. You guys were talking earlier about NSW players you'd pick, Murray would be one of my first players and yet he can't get a look into the starting team. He only comes on after it's 16-0 and the game is all but over. Even if you were protecting him, surely 25-30 minutes in you bring him on? They were a different team when he was on the field.

Instead, they kept dishing up the same Penrith plays. It was the same shapes and everytime Queensland knew exactly when to jam in and shut it down. There was no adjustment, no wrap around or hold the pass up for a second man option. The pass went exactly where it usually goes to and Queensland picked it everytime.

Despite having Moses who is great working down short-sides, they rarely worked that side and the one time they did the player missed his assignment. There was never another effort to try it again and as the game wore on, they just became more and more frustrated.

The frustrating thing for them is that they're not far off either. The issue for them is that they seem to have this one gameplan for NSW built around a team that has Turbo, Latrell, Cleary, J. Turbo, Angus Crichton etc. and when those players aren't available they're all at sea.

I'd still think they'd struggle against the Maroons regardless because the Maroons are a quality team and not the easy beats NSW fans seem think they are. However there's no denying they're not playing good footy or any footy whatsoever.

I was watching the incident with Flegler and Young and he just looked lost as to what to do when everyone came in. He needs to give that blue jersey away
Nah, I reckon Haas is what NSW should be aspiring to. I think he should probably rip into the Broncos boys if they deserve it, but the problem is that he's a man alone out there. If he had one other Bronco on the Blues with him, there would be moments for him. Problem is that the Broncos mates wouldn't give him any shit like they did the other Blues

Nah, I reckon Haas is what NSW should be aspiring to. I think he should probably rip into the Broncos boys if they deserve it, but the problem is that he's a man alone out there. If he had one other Bronco on the Blues with him, there would be moments for him. Problem is that the Broncos mates wouldn't give him any shit like they did the other Blues

I dont think any of our boys would hesitate in getting into any of them, him included.

Just finished watching the game again and i keep going on about it, but its noticeable how much more physical our forwards were ( and the team overall tbf ). They run with intent and hit hard all game. NSW forwards, who didnt play that badly in some ways, just cart the ball up and imo were a bit one dimensional. I dont think they were that difficult for us to handle at all really. Its interesting really but Cam Smith quite a few time made the point about Origin being about physicality. We have it, they dont.

I dont think any of our boys would hesitate in getting into any of them, him included.

Just finished watching the game again and i keep going on about it, but its noticeable how much more physical our forwards were ( and the team overall tbf ). They run with intent and hit hard all game. NSW forwards, who didnt play that badly in some ways, just cart the ball up and imo were a bit one dimensional. I dont think they were that difficult for us to handle at all really. Its interesting really but Cam Smith quite a few time made the point about Origin being about physicality. We have it, they dont.
That's because they think physicality means standing over a guy on the ground, or grubbing someone with a high shot, or rubbing a face in the turf. Physicality is winning the battle over and over. It's cutting a bloke in a good tackle. It's smacking a half digging deep into the line to let him know it won't happen on your watch. It's coming in to help your winger or centre get their player into touch.
NSW just don't get that it is a team sport, and they don't get that strength is more than just lifting heavy.
Payne is almost there, because he is starting to realise that part of dominanting as a prop is making the big hit-up but then finding your front and getting a fast PTB or an offload that helps. That is physicality and dominance, because you're constantly getting the better of your opponent. It's not picking a fight or grubbing the smallest bloke.

That's because they think physicality means standing over a guy on the ground, or grubbing someone with a high shot, or rubbing a face in the turf. Physicality is winning the battle over and over. It's cutting a bloke in a good tackle. It's smacking a half digging deep into the line to let him know it won't happen on your watch. It's coming in to help your winger or centre get their player into touch.
NSW just don't get that it is a team sport, and they don't get that strength is more than just lifting heavy.
Payne is almost there, because he is starting to realise that part of dominanting as a prop is making the big hit-up but then finding your front and getting a fast PTB or an offload that helps. That is physicality and dominance, because you're constantly getting the better of your opponent. It's not picking a fight or grubbing the smallest bloke.

Thats all they do, the grubby stuff. Thats not physicality. They havent had a forward with the physicality ours have this series. As other people have said, they want to play like a club side. Doesnt work, this is Origin. Different beast and as the meme goes, they just dont get it.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.