Fullback
Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor

Centre
Staggs, Hoeter, Mariner, Arthars, Cobbo, Karapini

Wing
Cobbo, Oates, Arthars, Hoeter, Leota, Pereira

ETHNO MAP

QLD (18)
Ben Te Kura, Billy Walters, Blake Mozer, Brendan Piakura, Coby Black, Corey Jensen, Corey Oates, Cory Paix, Ezra Mam, Israel Leota, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Rogers, Kobe Hetherington, Patrick Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Tristan Sailor, Tyson Smoothy

NZ (7)
Deine Mariner, Brendan Piakura, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Pereira, Jordan Riki, Marty Taupau, Xavier Willison

NSW (5)
Adam Reynolds, Fletcher Baker, Jock Madden, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas

Indigenous (5)
Ezra Mam, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo

Tonga (2)
Delouise Hoeter, Kotoni Staggs

Samoa (3)
Jesse Arthars, Payne Haas, Marty Taupau

Cook Islands (2)
Brendan Piakura, Xavier Willison

Seems already other top 8 teams have boosted their rosters plus Souths and will be much better teams and our grand final team has been weakened over the recent departures.

Seems already other top 8 teams have boosted their rosters plus Souths and will be much better teams and our grand final team has been weakened over the recent departures.

Fair points, except Penrith losing Crichton and Leniu is also pretty big, especially Crichton. Melbourne hasn't improved either and Newcastle losing Young is massive. That said, us and Penrith were so far out ahead of everyone else this year, I just think we've both come back to the field a bit, so we still look strong.

Us as fans will just need to be patient as the new combos gel and we should expect a slow start to the season and I am more than ok with that. Of course, we may well come out breathing fire and burn out in the back end of the season like we did in 2016 but I hope we don't.

This side still has a good balance and guns everywhere:

1. Walsh (superstar but still somewhat inexperienced)
2. Arthars / Oates (either way we get a player with over 50 games experience and a mature head)
3. Staggs (he is experienced now and has become a bit of a leader)
4. Cobbo (inexperienced for the position but a regular first grader now and could be a genuine superstar at centre but if he stays wing, he is already a superstar there anyway)
5. Mariner (very inexperienced and will likely have some ups and downs but man, this kid has the world at his feet, I suspect he'll hit the ground running)
6. Mam (has one of the highest footy IQs I've seen for his age but is inexperienced, is coming off a best on ground GF, this bodes well)
7. Reynolds (he is the glue that will need to hold this side together, has a poor GF to get redemption on)
8. Willison/Baker/Jensen (this position is the big unknown and of the three options here, we have a potential wrecking ball that could be better than Flegs but is still raw and injury prone, a young guy in his sweet spot to arrive coming from another club with something to prove, a journeyman who is better than he gets credit for)
9. Walters (really arrived this season and is an older, mature head that will need to take on a bit of the leadership void left by Capes)
10. Haas (he is the best player in the world along with Cleary, he has played over 100 games now and is a leader on field, he has shown the ability to step up finally when the pressure is on, he'll take on some of the leadership now)
11. Piakura (let's be honest, the pressure is on this kid now because he has been given a massive vote of confidence and goodness me the talent is all there but can he do it week in, week out at this stage of his career? He is going to have to if we are going to do anything in 2024 and that is a lot of pressure on his young shoulders. He could be an absolute freak though as he offers something at second row we haven't had in years with his combo of speed, evasiveness, line running and hard hitting)
12. Riki (He is an absolute banker it would not surprise one bit if he effectively becomes vice captain when Carrigan eventually takes the reigns, he is a regular first grader now who is getting better and better, is already a leader and will only get better, is the heartbeat of the team)
13. Carrigan (Is already a leader, is experienced, is mature and arguably the best player in his position in the comp, he will fill a massive bit of the leadership hole left by Capes)

Then, around the squad we still have the likes of Hoeter, Perera, Taupau, etc. We might dip a bit in '24 (I'm not convinced we will) but we are set for a sustained period of contending.

Meh Bulldogs/wests are examples of teams who buy players which go nowhere. Roosters are another example that it's not about the names on paper, but rather how they play as a team.

It might take a few weeks to get that left edge clicking (no Capewell and Herbie), but they eventually will. In the meantime, Staggs and Cobbo will have us covered with points. The replacements just need to focus on defence early on.

Kurt Capewell:

“Definitely no bad blood. I love the club and have had a great time since I’ve been here. I still love everyone here as well. Luckily I’ve got the opportunity to go to the Warriors for the next three years. It was an opportunity too good to pass up. I’m just grateful for the time I’ve spent here and for the Warriors and the offer they’ve made me.”​
“I’m very proud of the Broncos rise and they’ve got a lot left in the tank too. They’re going to be a powerhouse for the next few years. The Warriors are a powerhouse also with the team they’re putting together. I definitely think we’ll be giving the competition a shake next year. Webster is a massive reason I’m going there. He’s a great bloke and I really get on with him, on a personal level as well. It’s tough to be leaving but exciting as well.”​

Kurt Capewell:

“Definitely no bad blood. I love the club and have had a great time since I’ve been here. I still love everyone here as well. Luckily I’ve got the opportunity to go to the Warriors for the next three years. It was an opportunity too good to pass up. I’m just grateful for the time I’ve spent here and for the Warriors and the offer they’ve made me.”​
“I’m very proud of the Broncos rise and they’ve got a lot left in the tank too. They’re going to be a powerhouse for the next few years. The Warriors are a powerhouse also with the team they’re putting together. I definitely think we’ll be giving the competition a shake next year. Webster is a massive reason I’m going there. He’s a great bloke and I really get on with him, on a personal level as well. It’s tough to be leaving but exciting as well.”​
If he had to go somewhere, glad it was to the Warriors.

I think ultimately the Capewell thing will work out the best for everyone involved. The Warriors needed a bit of experience and we needed some cap space. We also didn't need another Thaiday/Glenn situation on our hands where a second rower that is long in the tooth ends up clinging on for way too long.

I have enough trust in our youngsters that they will fill his shoes admirably. As for Capes, nothing but respect from me. Helped Kevvie and Reyno right the ship as much as he could have, and I'm happy to repay the Warriors for what they did with Walsh. All in all I'm okay with it. All the best to him and thanks for the service.

After the GF I never would have imagined we’d be losing capewell come December. I feel like he passed the baton to riki anyway and we’re gonna see an even bigger year from Jordan.

From the Broncs point of view, if his release isn't all about having a few extra rounds in the magazine to secure Walsh and Mam long term, I will see the Sun set in the east.

I think ultimately the Capewell thing will work out the best for everyone involved. The Warriors needed a bit of experience and we needed some cap space. We also didn't need another Thaiday/Glenn situation on our hands where a second rower that is long in the tooth ends up clinging on for way too long.

I have enough trust in our youngsters that they will fill his shoes admirably. As for Capes, nothing but respect from me. Helped Kevvie and Reyno right the ship as much as he could have, and I'm happy to repay the Warriors for what they did with Walsh. All in all I'm okay with it. All the best to him and thanks for the service.

I agree. I felt Kurt definitely lost match fitness this year and the game was passing him by. Was found out numerous times this year and mostly because he was a tad slow.

Maybe it was just the way our team was setup defensively and that won't be an issue at the Wahs.

Definitely no hard feelings and he did his job as an experienced player. I wish him all the best next year, except when he plays us!

We really need to bring at least two second rowers into the squad, Especially with Flegler leaving we cannot afford to take Carrigan out of the middle rotation anymore

Active Now

• Stix
  • TimWhatley
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • lynx000
  • Browny
  • DrGee
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skyblues87
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Morkel
  • rj9
  • BruiserMk1
  • bert_lifts
  • Rookie Alan
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.