Fullback
Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor

Centre
Staggs, Hoeter, Mariner, Arthars, Cobbo, Karapini

Wing
Cobbo, Oates, Arthars, Hoeter, Leota, Pereira

ETHNO MAP

QLD (19)
Ben Te Kura, Billy Walters, Blake Mozer, Brendan Piakura, Coby Black, Corey Jensen, Corey Oates, Cory Paix, Ezra Mam, Israel Leota, Jack Gosiewski, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Rogers, Kobe Hetherington, Patrick Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Tristan Sailor, Tyson Smoothy

NZ (7)
Deine Mariner, Brendan Piakura, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Pereira, Jordan Riki, Marty Taupau, Xavier Willison

NSW (5)
Adam Reynolds, Fletcher Baker, Jock Madden, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas

Indigenous (5)
Ezra Mam, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo

Tonga (2)
Delouise Hoeter, Kotoni Staggs

Samoa (3)
Jesse Arthars, Payne Haas, Marty Taupau

Cook Islands (2)
Brendan Piakura, Xavier Willison

Bear in mind, one year ago Deine Mariner asked for a release to the Dolphins.

Seems like a few guys didn’t trust the process and jumped the gun early. I feel like Herbie would have stayed if he was more patient.
Patience would not have delivered Herbie anything other than the position he already had, and he wasn't worth more money than he was on. I'm quietly cocky we'll be better off without him.

Patience would not have delivered Herbie anything other than the position he already had, and he wasn't worth more money than he was on. I'm quietly cocky we'll be better off without him.

I agree, though perhaps not in the short term. Mariner and Cobbo both offer totally different skillsets to Herbie but if both/either come good, they could POTENTIALLY (dangerous word I know), turn out even better. The reality is, Herbie is a deadset gun as he is so quick, so elusive, so strong and a fantastic defender but he just did not have the greatest ability to put his winger away. I think both Cobbs and especially Aquaman can do that. Aquaman in particular has quite a bit of JYY in him. JYY would have been elite in any backline position and I think Deine will be the same.

I agree, though perhaps not in the short term. Mariner and Cobbo both offer totally different skillsets to Herbie but if both/either come good, they could POTENTIALLY (dangerous word I know), turn out even better. The reality is, Herbie is a deadset gun as he is so quick, so elusive, so strong and a fantastic defender but he just did not have the greatest ability to put his winger away. I think both Cobbs and especially Aquaman can do that. Aquaman in particular has quite a bit of JYY in him. JYY would have been elite in any backline position and I think Deine will be the same.
It's not just his unwillingness to share the ball; it's the way he kills backline movements by stepping off his left foot and heading back into the sweeping defence. Which only works if/when he can run over the top of them. You will never see a classic crossfield backline movement from half to wing with Herbie at left centre. And, that's one of the most beautiful plays you'll ever see in rugby league. It's like poetry, you want to read over and over.

It will be interesting to see if he changes his pattern if Wayne shifts him to right centre (which I'm skeptical will happen). Will he step off the right, kill the momentum and turn it back inside or will he become a whole new player?

Mariner has elite foot work along with Piakura ,Arthars and Walsh that`s 4 men with the ability to beat their opposition one on one . Going to be fun to watch them weave their magic in the new year .

405245674 7180991078599032 2870090440053675443 n

It's not just his unwillingness to share the ball; it's the way he kills backline movements by stepping off his left foot and heading back into the sweeping defence. Which only works if/when he can run over the top of them. You will never see a classic crossfield backline movement from half to wing with Herbie at left centre. And, that's one of the most beautiful plays you'll ever see in rugby league. It's like poetry, you want to read over and over.

It will be interesting to see if he changes his pattern if Wayne shifts him to right centre (which I'm skeptical will happen). Will he step off the right, kill the momentum and turn it back inside or will he become a whole new player?
Brenko showed more than once what extra value an old school set up the winger centre can do .
Herbert obviously has the skills but chooses not to use them . 1st world problems LOL .

I reckon he'll become a whole new player.

He's a big athletic strong player with a right arm carry and already has the left foot step... if he's on the right that puts him on the outside of his man with the ball in his right hand ready for an offload.

He could be similar to Manu, except Herbie gets through 20 carries when he's in the centres.

I don't think his actual passing will improve, but he's a good chance of causing havoc at right centre with his strength, speed and offloading skills.

I reckon he'll become a whole new player.

He's a big athletic strong player with a right arm carry and already has the left foot step... if he's on the right that puts him on the outside of his man with the ball in his right hand ready for an offload.

He could be similar to Manu, except Herbie gets through 20 carries when he's in the centres.

I don't think his actual passing will improve, but he's a good chance of causing havoc at right centre with his strength, speed and offloading skills.
Let me paint a picture for you...

You're defending. Herbie is opposite you. Haas has just skittled defenders in the middle, not stretching the outside men but making it so there aren't any troops coming from the middle to help. Reynolds or mam or walters or carrigan or Walsh see it, spread the ball quickly to Walsh... he has mam and herbie on his edge... what do you do? You have one of about 5 options....

Now, you're marking herbie. Flegler maybe knocks a couple, not quite to haas' level but enough to get the same effect. You have katoa or JMK or Sullivan seeing it but likely won't get the right option as much as arey or the others or am I wrong here? But let's say they do but not quite as crisp or fast, at the very least. Then you have hammer running at you with herbie on his shoulder. What do you do? You have one of 2 options....

He won't have the space he had this year no matter what side he plays on. He will be great the 1st 10 rounds and the media will be going crazy, like they have the last few years with players who have left.. yet here we are.... we will be right, and my prediction is he will miss us FAR MORE then we miss him by the time finals come around. Same with flegler.

Let me paint a picture for you...

You're defending. Herbie is opposite you. Haas has just skittled defenders in the middle, not stretching the outside men but making it so there aren't any troops coming from the middle to help. Reynolds or mam or walters or carrigan or Walsh see it, spread the ball quickly to Walsh... he has mam and herbie on his edge... what do you do? You have one of about 5 options....

Now, you're marking herbie. Flegler maybe knocks a couple, not quite to haas' level but enough to get the same effect. You have katoa or JMK or Sullivan seeing it but likely won't get the right option as much as arey or the others or am I wrong here? But let's say they do but not quite as crisp or fast, at the very least. Then you have hammer running at you with herbie on his shoulder. What do you do? You have one of 2 options....

He won't have the space he had this year no matter what side he plays on. He will be great the 1st 10 rounds and the media will be going crazy, like they have the last few years with players who have left.. yet here we are.... we will be right, and my prediction is he will miss us FAR MORE then we miss him by the time finals come around. Same with flegler.
I didn't say that we would miss him I just think his traits suit the right side better than being on the left.. hence a "whole new player"

Left centres are hard to find, because they're most effective if they also have a left hand carry... I think Herbie found himself in the left centre role primarily because we didn't really have any other legitimate options when he shifted there in 2020/2021.

I think Cobbo should be a serious consideration for left centre next year, because he has a left hand carry and he could have us completely forgetting Herbie was ever here... but they might leave him at wing and put Mariner into left centre and whilst I think Mariner is an elite talent, he does have a right hand carry and if he's on the left he may not be as effective as what he could be on the right side of the field.

Literally the only reason to watch Dolphins games in '24. This will be interesting.

The more I read opinions on this, the more I want Capewell to see out his contract while the coaches tweak the next generation. Despite universal expectations otherwise, and widespread apathy, Palasia was denied and that surprisingly turned out pretty well for us.

But if he does leave immediately - which at this point seems inevitable (again) - unlike last season, I have faith the coaching staff and administration knows what it's doing. I think 2023 awarded them that benefit of the doubt.

I guess it's down to Moneyball at this point.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Lostboy
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Xzei
  • BroncoFan94
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.