2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Does anyone know if Lee Briers has been retained for next season ... not sure what his contract is. Hope he's still with us , for mine he had a big influence on the boys this past year.
The club only announced one year. Be surprised if he's not extended.

I reckon it just comes down to fitness and we were pretty seriously good in that department this year but I worry with the stupid disrupted pre / early season, coupled with origin, we might well be underdone for the whole year through no fault of our own.

Cowboys 2023 syndrome ?

In terms of gameplan and style,
Where do we go from here?

There Is a fair argument to say that our lack of control and ability to play that low risk style of football was the reason we failed to ice a GF...

But how much do we need to adjust our style in the regular 2024 season to facilitate the gains in that aspect.?

Or..

Do we just take a small improvement in that aspect and double down on playing aggressively?

To clarify I think our defence is solid in context to most sides, we have shown we do have great scramble and that's essential but it comes at a cost in terms of fatigue, defending smarter can balance that loss.

what's ur take?

There Is a fair argument to say that our lack of control and ability to play that low risk style of football was the reason we failed to ice a GF...

But how much do we need to adjust our style in the regular 2024 season to facilitate the gains in that aspect.?

Or..

Do we just take a small improvement in that aspect and double down on playing aggressively?

To clarify I think our defence is solid in context to most sides, we have shown we do have great scramble and that's essential but it comes at a cost in terms of fatigue, defending smarter can balance that loss.

what's ur take?

Stay the course. Reduce the errors, play an entire 80 like you're behind.

Penrith made one error in the whole game. That’s ridiculous! That’s definitely an area where we can improve. We made several errors completely unrelated to our attacking style. Staggs, Cobbo and Carrigan errors come to mind. I guess it’s attention to detail? We should also learn to get in the grind better when the situation calls for it. And while our defence was better than most sides, there’s still room for improvement there. Particularly decision making on the edges.

Or..

what's ur take?

Practice drop outs till it hurts , then do it some more .
Penalty for kicking out on the full , and the Herbert tap back were the difference in the scores ....

Who tha fck didn`t do their job ?
Walshy was over under the posts when Herb tapped the ball back .

Also Walshy shooting out of the line late in the game led to Cleary`s try .

Big moments .

All the media like Corey Parker writing off the Broncos for next year and using examples of teams who have come from behind is just sour grapes. The examples they mentioned had teams with many older players who retired after the GF losses.

Hopefully the boys use this as motivation for next year. If Reynolds can stay fit and we reduce our error rate we can take any team in the comp. Penrith cannot play any better than they did and one error for any match is very rare let alone in a GF.

I would caution thinking that we will simply walk in to the GF next year... or even a prelim final. Nothing can be taken for granted. Fate could cruel us in 2024. We had an amazing run with regards to injuries and our playing form. Either one of those buckles next year, then it will be a lot more challenging.

I was lucky enough to have spent some time chatting to Craig Hodges, the Broncos U20 coach from 2013 to 2016. He also coached Norths Devils before that.

One thing that he said to me, that I will never forget is, "When you get to a grand final, you need to make the most of that chance". He talked about almost everything needing to go right just to make the GF, and the need to just win it.

I hope and pray we get that chance again soon. But it's not going to be easy.

Enough outsiders cast shadows of doubt over the Broncos. We need to believe in ourselves a bit more.

Look at the self belief the Panthers have.

Love our style of play, it’s entertains and productive. Simple errors are something that players need to take personal responsibility for.

I was willing errors onto the panthers but they are just insanely disciplined.

I really hope Cobbo does end up in that 4 jersey. Surely replacing Flegs won't be a big deal.
If I have one critique of Cobbo it would be his defensive decisions. His one play seems to be the intercept. He's ok on cover defense, but directly vs his winger he really doesn't do well. I don't know I'd trust him defending at centre...

I would caution thinking that we will simply walk in to the GF next year... or even a prelim final. Nothing can be taken for granted. Fate could cruel us in 2024. We had an amazing run with regards to injuries and our playing form. Either one of those buckles next year, then it will be a lot more challenging.

I was lucky enough to have spent some time chatting to Craig Hodges, the Broncos U20 coach from 2013 to 2016. He also coached Norths Devils before that.

One thing that he said to me, that I will never forget is, "When you get to a grand final, you need to make the most of that chance". He talked about almost everything needing to go right just to make the GF, and the need to just win it.

I was incredibly pessimistic after 2015 for exactly these reasons. In that case though, Hodges was gone, and he was arguably the most influential player that year (certainly the most inspirational). No one dragged a team to victory like him. We still have Reynolds for another year, if not two.

There were massive positives of course with Hunt and Milford, but of course that all changed when Hunt got offered an insane contract, and Milford was exposed as a lazy fraud. But the biggest issue was injury.

On the comparisons with Hunt & Milford, in our case the equivalents would be Mam and Walsh, who aren't the 6&7 of course, but are the young excitement machines that we (like H&M) we all expect to feature in rep teams for the next decade. Neither are the sort to be rattled like Hunt was, and both seem to be the exact opposite of Milford, in that they are both hungry to learn and improve.

The injuries though, they are critically under-rated when it comes to premiership chances. No surprise once again that the two best teams were the ones who were effectively full strength at the back end of the year. In hindsight, Walters did an excellent job in terms of resting players at the right times, but this is the one factor that simultaneously most crucial and yet hardest to control.

Can be sure its just the fans expecting a walk up to the finals again i bet the players are hurting and will use that pain to take it to another level or im sure thats what walters and co. Will be driving.

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • thenry
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.