2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
If Pat moves to the front row, Kobe will be our starting lock, pretty obvious one.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'd be considering this for round 1 next year, strongly considering:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Mozer
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Capewell

Balances out the experience but I also think people would need to be patient as it beds down and the players gel. I think once it does though, this team has the potential to go one better than this year.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Mozer
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Capewell

Balances out the experience but I also think people would need to be patient as it beds down and the players gel. I think once it does though, this team has the potential to go one better than this year.
Like.

Hopefully cobbo can have a big pre-season.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Like.

Hopefully cobbo can have a big pre-season.
Hopefully Walsh and Cobbo can learn to reduce their error rates.

53 and 39 between them for the season. No.1 and No.3 in the comp.

50 handling errors for Walsh in the season as well. No.1 in the comp… Cobbo is 8th worst…

Ezra Mam for missed tackles too. 113 - second worst in the whole comp…

As a team that went within a hair’s breadth of winning the whole dance, we come out of the season as:

Negative play:

1. Worst in the comp for errors.
2. Worst in the comp for handling errors.
3. Worst in the comp for ineffective tackles.
4. 5th worst in the comp for penalties conceded.

We fix up any of these by even 10% and we win the whole thing in a gallop, IMHO…

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Hopefully Walsh and Cobbo can learn to reduce their error rates.

53 and 39 between them for the season. No.1 and No.3 in the comp.

50 handling errors for Walsh in the season as well. No.1 in the comp… Cobbo is 8th worst…

Ezra Mam for missed tackles too. 113 - second worst in the whole comp…

As a team that went within a hair’s breadth of winning the whole dance, we come out of the season as:

Negative play:

1. Worst in the comp for errors.
2. Worst in the comp for handling errors.
3. Worst in the comp for ineffective tackles.
4. 5th worst in the comp for penalties conceded.

We fix up any of these by even 10% and we win the whole thing in a gallop, IMHO…
Penrith completed at 97%, broncos 71%. Penrith had 56% of the ball and significantly more metres. Against any other team they win by 20+. We lost by 2.

The broncos cut out even a few errors and regularly complete at 80+% next year, they can be a force.

Can't help but think herbie, flegler and palasia (who was low key awesome at the end of the year) will be big losses though. Hopefully others stand up.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Penrith completed at 97%, broncos 71%. Penrith had 56% of the ball and significantly more metres. Against any other team they win by 20+. We lost by 2.

The broncos cut out even a few errors and regularly complete at 80+% next year, they can be a force.

Can't help but think herbie, flegler and palasia (who was low key awesome at the end of the year) will be big losses though. Hopefully others stand up.
Definitely. Look at the stats in terms of run metres, PCM’s Herbie is way up there, even compared to many forwards. Not sure where we’ll find that go forward next year.

But our errors, handling errors and penalties are what killed us. They were directly linked to our completion rate and our inability to get on top of the Panthers for 80 minutes.

We fix up our discipline and we will send a shudder through the NRL…

It literally kept other teams in the game against us all year. The stats are undeniable.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Not really that obvious. Capewell would be a better 13, Kobe has value from the pine.
Agree, Kobe is more of a bench prop he hasn't got ball playing skills like Capewell, it's a shame we lost Keenan though, **** he was good in the back half this year.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
No talk of Jensen into the starting side at all? That is weird.
I think he will start the year as 8 but Wilison and maybe Te Kura if he gets a chance will push him on that.

I think the year after Te kura will lock the 8 though.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Mozer
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Capewell

I wouldn’t be prioritising youth after almost winning it all. Let them earn their way in.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Arthars
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Piakura
17. Baker

Next man up:
Mariner
Willison
Mozer

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Kevvie doesn't seem like a coach who will hide from making the big calls. I would assume they go into 2024 with most positions up for grabs, and it goes to whoever proves themselves the most (preseason and trials).

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Yep trials often throw up a bolter .
Journey man or a youngster . Preseasons can transform players .

I want to see Jock Madden step up this year .
He had a cpl of decent games . I expect to see more of him and for him to refine his game . Or his future is tenuous .

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I think if we change the best lock in the game to try to offset the loss of Flegler we have lost the plot. I understand everyone loves Hetho and wants to find a way to get him in there but at the end of the day Carrigan is a fucken mental lock. You don’t **** with that shit once you got it. Jensen, Baker and Willison without a doubt one of them will stand up. I think Baker could very well start, if not Jensen to start the year but by the end of the season one of either Baker or Willison won’t be far off Flegs quality is my prediction. Obviously Te Kura probably advances to a stage where he is selectable next year but he will just be taking Xavier’s current role of 3 or 4 games here and there.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Carrigan
14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Willison
17. Piakura

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
These positions are all so interchangeable, I don't really think it would change the way Carrigan plays. Just slot whoever is the best starting option wherever.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
I think baker could have a break out year in 24. The broncos played with a lot of support runners and forwards like carrigan tipping it on to another middle.

Support play was something baker did very well for the roosters but was never really capitalised on because it wasn't part of their structures. It looks like our recruitment are now looking to recruit players that fit into our style of play.

Unread

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dee
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.