2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

One game- round one and gone, Head had such high hopes for him and no idea what happened.

Yeah it seemed really strange, he just disappeared off the face of the earth. Given all the noise around Capewell, if he had come on last year, he would be a legit chance at NRL in 2024.

Yeah it seemed really strange, he just disappeared off the face of the earth. Given all the noise around Capewell, if he had come on last year, he would be a legit chance at NRL in 2024.
Seems so long ago

Screen328393163 492851706346885 2391046140347897986 n

One game- round one and gone, Head had such high hopes for him and no idea what happened.
What happened to Ofoa? Sorry can't remember his last name but was on a train and trial last year and was impressive in the trials and then disappeared.
the club got him to speak to the media once. I don’t know doesn’t seem like they would do that for a player that wasn’t on their radar. I thought he showed good potential as a lock, had good footwork and passing game.

What happened to Ofoa? Sorry can't remember his last name but was on a train and trial last year and was impressive in the trials and then disappeared.

He was energetic , but not really effective .
Not big enough for middle , not athletic enough for edge .

My observation from round one. Maybe Head has little tolerance for lacking attention to detail.

I love O'Ofou's enthusiasm but no attention to detail about where his run is going and if I offload here what will the result be.

That's three passes, not even offloads but passes- turn and rip your pass out to no one after a good run.

Ended up with four errors and never seen again.

@1910 - Do you know what the thinking was behind letting Brendan Frei go given that we seem to be quite light on for second row depth?

@1910 - Do you know what the thinking was behind letting Brendan Frei go given that we seem to be quite light on for second row depth?

I’d say injury and age- time to move on. He’s 28 next year and been at the Broncos, Roosters, Storm and Cowboys and Broncos again but never got any traction. He didn’t play for Wynnum after round 10 and has played 49 Cup games since 2019 and 22 of them were in 19.

The Frei brothers are all such beautiful hole runners, you want to persist and see a unicorn but it’s probably done now he’s reached his level.

I think next year is the big Xavier Willison break-out. He improved drastically in his consistency this year in Cup and brief stints in the NRL. I'd be starting him right out the gate if he has a good pre-season, he's going to be a monster.

If we lose Capewell, this would be my current forward pack -

8. Willison
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy/Mozer (Pending pre-season growth from Mozer)
15. Hetherington
16. Jensen
17. Taupau

Depth order: Te Kura, Baker, J.Hunt

Obviously a pretty large problem arises if we lose an edge backrower, Carrigan could cover a hole if the injury happens mid-game, but we'll need to sign at least one more 2nd rower veteran, in case of emergency.

I think next year is the big Xavier Willison break-out. He improved drastically in his consistency this year in Cup and brief stints in the NRL. I'd be starting him right out the gate if he has a good pre-season, he's going to be a monster.

8. Willison
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

15. Hetherington
16. Jensen
17. Taupau

Obviously a pretty large problem arises if we lose an edge backrower, Carrigan could cover a hole if the injury happens mid-game, but we'll need to sign at least one more 2nd rower veteran, in case of emergency.
As long as he stays injury free I would agree that he is primed for a massive year.

He looked at home and comfortable in first grade last year and I can recall one game where he was holding the middle without Haas or Patty on the field... might've been dogs in Belmore or at least around that time of year

8. Willison
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

15. Hetherington
16. Jensen
17. Taupau

I think it might end up like that, but I reckon he might start the season off the bench and then warm into starting. But I guess if he kills it in the trials, you never know.

I think Taupau might be more as a mentor and back up during origin. Will be interesting to see how Baker goes.

Te Kura is another one to watch develop .
Another preseason and that kid will be a man mountain . Him and Mozer together are a tricky little combo .
I liked what I saw of him last season in the trials . Outplayed Baylis Brow by a mile in the game they had together and he was still a pup then . I predict he will be on the bench come mid season .
But Willison he is a player already . Very athletic for his size . Gonna be fun to watch him this season I reckon . Fcking wrecking ball .

Man, if Flegler stayed our forward pack would have be monstrous.

Not to be though.

Picking Willison for a break out year is about as safe a prediction as you can make and for good reason. The only thing that will stop him is the fact he’s injury prone but if he can stay on the field, we won’t miss Flegs at all but that’s a big if. X-man is a frightening prospect for other teams.

I too am excited to see what happens with Te Kura but he probably isn’t ready. Who knows where he will sit mid season though.

Picking Willison for a break out year is about as safe a prediction as you can make and for good reason. The only thing that will stop him is the fact he’s injury prone but if he can stay on the field, we won’t miss Flegs at all but that’s a big if. X-man is a frightening prospect for other teams.

I too am excited to see what happens with Te Kura but he probably isn’t ready. Who knows where he will sit mid season though.
Injury prone is an over used cliche in League .
If the same injury recurred several times I`d agree ,[a lah Brenko and his calves ] but more often its different injuries stacked one after another . That is just bad luck . Not susceptibility to injury . .

I swear I saw a post on my feed yesterday saying the chooks are eyeing off Blake Mozer as a back-up for 'cheese' ... did I dream that ?? cos I can't see anything about it anywhere today?

I swear I saw a post on my feed yesterday saying the chooks are eyeing off Blake Mozer as a back-up for 'cheese' ... did I dream that ?? cos I can't see anything about it anywhere today?
That was just Clarkey doing a mock draft... basically if a draft existed where would rookies be landing.

It's completely fake... but someone like the Mole will probs take off with it as rumours to get them clicks

They don`t need Mozer they need Harry Grant .LOL .
Cheese is too bulky to play long minutes . Needs a good 14 to compliment him .

Active Now

• Big Del
  • mitch222
  • Morkel
  • The Strapper
  • Bish
  • Manlyman
  • mieko
  • Lurker
  • Galah
  • FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.