2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Jaiyden Hunt:

“It’s a great opportunity. I grew up watching rugby league and went to Broncos games on Friday nights. It’s an unreal experience to be here for the next two years. When I got the call from ‘Kevvie’ it was an exciting moment. He said it was all about hard work and mateship here, that’s a great club culture and what I really like. Everyone gets in and works hard together and enjoys each other’s company."​
“It was a really good opportunity for me to come off the bench and cover both positions. I’ve been doing reps in the middle and back row. I’ll do whatever the team needs and Kevvie wants. If he wants me to play back row I’ll play there. If he wants me to play middle, I’ll try hard in every area.”​
“I always liked Kurt Capewell's chat and work off the ball. He’s always got his edge set, he’s a leader in defence. If you’re a great edge defender then your half doesn’t have to make as many tackles. That’s the main thing I see.”​

I get we had a great season but it's 1 bloody good season. Other clubs have 10 in a row great seasons and they don't have the salary cap pressures we have lol. You can't argue though, the salary cap has given us such diversity of champions, 3 in the last 8 years! Nothing suss...

Jaiyden Hunt:

“It’s a great opportunity. I grew up watching rugby league and went to Broncos games on Friday nights. It’s an unreal experience to be here for the next two years. When I got the call from ‘Kevvie’ it was an exciting moment. He said it was all about hard work and mateship here, that’s a great club culture and what I really like. Everyone gets in and works hard together and enjoys each other’s company."​
“It was a really good opportunity for me to come off the bench and cover both positions. I’ve been doing reps in the middle and back row. I’ll do whatever the team needs and Kevvie wants. If he wants me to play back row I’ll play there. If he wants me to play middle, I’ll try hard in every area.”​
“I always liked Kurt Capewell's chat and work off the ball. He’s always got his edge set, he’s a leader in defence. If you’re a great edge defender then your half doesn’t have to make as many tackles. That’s the main thing I see.”​
Players signing up for our "culture" again. Going in the right direction :)

If Capes goes as expected, he might not be as long odds to play as he might have appeared at first.

Heard a few of the boys are really getting up that big hill up north quicker than a holmes to a double black. Look out you peasants, the real kings of qld are back bigger and better.

Kevvie confirms the club is in talks on resigning Ezra:

“I believe so, Ezra is a big part of our future and we’d love him to stay. I’m sure there’ll be a lot of clubs targeting him. We’re in the process of negotiating with him and his manager and we believe it’s going to work out okay. He has had a good rest and is back training. He’s looking forward to another strong season for us. He’s a little bit heavier which is good. He’s put on a bit of bulk and carrying it well. He showed his skills in the last month of football for someone so young. The future is really bright for Ezra and the Broncos.”​

Reynolds has shed 5kg, apparently:

“I’ve already done it, I just think it is easier at the back end of your career to play a bit lighter and get around the field a bit easier. You talk to past players and they say they found it easier being lighter at the back end of their careers. I thought I’d give it a crack and change up my body type. I did a lot of running … old school road runs, treadmill runs and been a bit cleaner with the diet. Not too much has changed. I didn’t do any weights in the off-season which probably strips a bit of weight too. Not much will change with the way I play. I have got some exciting players outside me like Reece Walsh, Ezra and our centres and wingers are fast.”​

“I still feel like I have more to give. My body is feeling good and I feel like I am playing good enough football to go around again. I am enjoying the club and I love being around the boys. I am focused on getting into training, getting around the boys and that contract will work itself out. Every year you are trying to achieve the same goal. It is pretty simple. You turn up to training and work hard and try and get better as a team and an individual. If you do that you put yourself in a good position to do something great.”​

He speaks so well. He acknowledges that the outs, including Capes, are significant but is backing the youngsters to step up or to find a Zac Hosking (he named him) and did name Willison, Piaks and Mariner as the three to watch sort of.

He speaks so well. He acknowledges that the outs, including Capes, are significant but is backing the youngsters to step up or to find a Zac Hosking (he named him) and did name Willison, Piaks and Mariner as the three to watch sort of.

Hmmm now that is interesting.

Kevvie confirms the club is in talks on resigning Ezra:

“I believe so, Ezra is a big part of our future and we’d love him to stay. I’m sure there’ll be a lot of clubs targeting him. We’re in the process of negotiating with him and his manager and we believe it’s going to work out okay. He has had a good rest and is back training. He’s looking forward to another strong season for us. He’s a little bit heavier which is good. He’s put on a bit of bulk and carrying it well. He showed his skills in the last month of football for someone so young. The future is really bright for Ezra and the Broncos.”​

Reynolds has shed 5kg, apparently:

“I’ve already done it, I just think it is easier at the back end of your career to play a bit lighter and get around the field a bit easier. You talk to past players and they say they found it easier being lighter at the back end of their careers. I thought I’d give it a crack and change up my body type. I did a lot of running … old school road runs, treadmill runs and been a bit cleaner with the diet. Not too much has changed. I didn’t do any weights in the off-season which probably strips a bit of weight too. Not much will change with the way I play. I have got some exciting players outside me like Reece Walsh, Ezra and our centres and wingers are fast.”​

“I still feel like I have more to give. My body is feeling good and I feel like I am playing good enough football to go around again. I am enjoying the club and I love being around the boys. I am focused on getting into training, getting around the boys and that contract will work itself out. Every year you are trying to achieve the same goal. It is pretty simple. You turn up to training and work hard and try and get better as a team and an individual. If you do that you put yourself in a good position to do something great.”​
Hope Ezra doesn’t choose bulk over speed. Those grand final tries were all about his pace and out running the fullback once in the clear.

Kevvie is yet to rewatch the Grand Final:
“I’ve seen a few of the players and caught up with a lot of them. They’re disappointed but also very mindful there’s a lot of improvement in us as a group and them as individuals. From all the evidence we’ve seen so far, they’re keen and hungry. They are ready for another good crack at next season. I’m refreshed and ready to go. There’s a good vibe around the place and the boys are going hard.”​
“There was a bit of disbelief after the game. The grand final had been played, run and lost the way it was. There was some reflection first more than anything. The first couple of weeks after the grand final were funny. I haven’t watched it yet, but I plan to sit down with the players and have a look at it in the New Year."​
“Things happen for a reason a lot of the time. To Penrith’s credit, they’ve been a good side for a long time and played really well in that last 15 minutes while we were a bit off. We made a couple of little errors and a few things didn’t go our way. That’s all it is. There’s never much in it. We only lost by two points. We scored the same number of tries and conversions, it was just a penalty goal that beat us."​
“When you think about the season we had, it makes you a bit happier and understanding of why things happen sometimes. I’m generally really happy with everything we’re doing at the moment. We would have liked a better result in the grand final, but if 12 months ago you said to me ‘that’s your season’ I would have taken it every day of the week.”​
“I had a good bit of time with Tottenham coach Ange Postecoglou, he was very generous with his time. I met Ange when I was in Melbourne at the Storm and he was coaching the Victory (A-League club). He is a really nice fella. I used to watch the Victory train and knew he’d be a very successful coach no matter what league he was in because his methods have worked everywhere he’s been. He’s stuck to his principles, which is something I really admire. He was heavily criticised early by fans and the media saying he wasn’t up to it, but he had great belief in himself and his methods. I’ll take a lot out of that – believing in what you’re doing and sticking to your principles. It reinforced not only what I’m doing but all of the coaches and our team at the Broncos. We’re on the right pathway and we’ve got great stability in the club now with our coaches and roster.”​
“We’ve lost a couple of players we didn’t want to lose but we’ve got good depth in those positions which gives us a great opportunity to replace them with talent from our academy. It was a good season for us and we made so many big strides as a club and individuals to put us in a good position for next year. We’ve had some time to compensate for the first three leaving in Keenan, ‘Fleg’ and Herbie, we knew about them for a while. We had a good look at that and felt we could handle the loss of those three players."​
“Fletcher Baker looks like a really good signing. He is a good, mature kid who’s working really hard and fitting in nicely.”​
“Maybe there is more expectation this season, but my expectations have always been the same at the Broncos. I’d like to think our team lines up every year as a genuine premiership threat. We want to make the grand final and win the thing. My opinion hasn’t changed on that for next year. This time last year there was a lot of noise around the Broncos and a bit of uncertainty, and rightly so after the way we finished the year before, losing five of last six games to miss finals."​
“But there’s a different tone to the Broncos now when people talk about our club. It’s up to us to adjust our mentality around all of that. We’re not a team that’s down the bottom anymore. We are up and about and need to stay there. I’m really excited.”​

What a shit off season so far. Again, not sure why we are the only club year after year under salary cap pressure.

What a shit off season so far. Again, not sure why we are the only club year after year under salary cap pressure.
I literally saw a Facebook post from CODESPORTS or whatever the fk already eluding to/getting their lotion ready to talk about Payne Haas even tho he literally just re-signed months ago🤣

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 56

Active Now

• thenry
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Gaz
  • Pablo
  • Broncorob
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.