2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

In lieu of anything even remotely newsworthy, here's Crawley this morning:

BRISBANE BRONCOS
Key positional battles: Back row/prop
Kurt Capewell’s departure could have a huge impact on the Broncos’ premiership hopes in 2024. In fact, I reckon it has the potential to be an even bigger blow than losing Thomas Flegler and Herbie Farnworth given Capewell’s experience and leadership on and off the field. Brendan Piakura has all the potential in the world but, at 21, he has only 15 NRL appearances to date compared to Capewell’s 139. An option would be to switch up Pat Carrigan’s role and give him some time on the edge to ease Piakura’s load.
Farnworth was in the top two centres in the game last season so his loss is also massive, although Deine Mariner is an exceptional talent who looks ready to make his mark. Covering Flegler, former Rooster Fletcher Baker, 23, has 45 NRL games in the bank while young giants Xavier Willison, Ben Te Kura and Corey Jensen give Kevvie Walters terrific options.
Broncos’ best 17
1. Reece Walsh
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Deine Mariner
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Jesse Arthars
6. Ezra Mam
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Payne Haas
9. Billy Walters
10. Fletcher Baker
11. Brendan Piakura
12. Jordan Riki
13. Patrick Carrigan
Interchange:
14. Tyson Smoothy
15. Kobe Hetherington
16. Corey Jensen
17. Xavier Willison

I wonder, could there be merit in bringing Marty Taupau back in to the 17 for his experience?
Just before his big suspension he was playing really well. Depends how he goes in the trials, but he could be useful on the bench.

Herbie might be considering passing the ball this season:

“I’ve got a lot of things to improve on. Had a little look at last season and stuff I can do better. I won’t share fully because I don’t want to give away anything, but it’ll be a good year this year.”​
“I came on the Friday did all the testing and all the boys here are really super keen for the year. I’m just glad to be back training."​
"Oh, the Grand Final was super tough. Obviously, anyone who’s lost a grand final, it’s definitely tough to get over it, especially in the way that we lost. But, I’m pretty keen just to move on now and start working hard for this club and hopefully can bring something back here in the next year or two.”​
“It’s really cool, Wayne signed me on my first deal at the Broncos. I think today was Wayne’s first day as well today. But he was on the field loving it, so it was pretty cool to be back with him. I saw some really good signs early on at this club and we have some good quality older players as well as younger players coming through, so it’s all looking very good for this year.”​
“I’m just happy for wherever Wayne sees me, I’ll play. I’m just pretty keen to get back playing and training hard.”​

“I’ve got a lot of things to improve on. Had a little look at last season and stuff I can do better. I won’t share fully because I don’t want to give away anything, but it’ll be a good year this year.”​
“I came on the Friday did all the testing and all the boys here are really super keen for the year. I’m just glad to be back training."​
"Oh, the Grand Final was super tough. Obviously, anyone who’s lost a grand final, it’s definitely tough to get over it, especially in the way that we lost. But, I’m pretty keen just to move on now and start working hard for this club and hopefully can bring something back here in the next year or two.”​
“It’s really cool, Wayne signed me on my first deal at the Broncos. I think today was Wayne’s first day as well today. But he was on the field loving it, so it was pretty cool to be back with him. I saw some really good signs early on at this club and we have some good quality older players as well as younger players coming through, so it’s all looking very good for this year.”​
“I’m just happy for wherever Wayne sees me, I’ll play. I’m just pretty keen to get back playing and training hard.”​
Who? Never heard of him

Will he be happy on the wing?

I wonder, could there be merit in bringing Marty Taupau back in to the 17 for his experience?
I’m sure with the season we just had, Kev & his support staff will plan our middle rotation meticulously. They would make sure that Payne & Patty are primed come finals time and Marty would play a big part of that planning through out the season.

Who? Never heard of him
408805974 585548060381748 4552071241595536237 n

I watched the Denan Kemp interview with Leota and Fisher Harris and the main thing that stood out to me was where they said after losing the GF to Melbourne they realised they were being "too nice" to the other teams they were playing. I hope Haas and Patty learn from that and stop being so nice next year. Other thing they mentioned is they realised in the GF the ref put away the whistle and they knew they could get away with more and not risk a penalty. It really felt like our boys didn't realise that until it was way too late and they were gassed. I'd love to see the Broncs just come off the blocks next year with intent to just dominate every game from the first minute. We had way too many tries scored on us early in games and the team was 90% where they need to be.

Capes, Herbie and Flegler will be hard to replace and Keenan was playing well at the end of the year too.

I just hope next year they come back with the determination to go up a gear and to not be so nice.
Oh and hopefully Herbies replacement(whoever that is) can put over his winger with a pass every so often.

Unread

Active Now

• Browny
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • johnny plath
  • davidp
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.