2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 13, 2017
I expect Billy will have his contract extended by two years until the end of 2026. That's three more years. Mozer is contracted until end of 2025.
nothing stopping him being extended which will have to happen at the end of this year anyway if we are serious with him,im hoping they are playing the long game and we get a quality 80 min hooker out of him no need to rush unless his play is demanding selection and if that is the case he can shoot it out with smoothy.

thought the 9 for wynnum out played him for the majority of there time opposed FWIW

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I like the idea of a back on the bench. Not sure how it works in practice if no injuries in game as Sailor is pretty small comparatively but he could carve up against tired defenders.
The last thing the team needs is another hooker, but I think he could be a more damaging and versatile 14 than Walters, Smoothy or Paix, none of whom could cover an outside back convincingly. I can't see Kevvie going for only two genuine forwards on the bench.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Sailor and Arthars on the wings. Mariner and Oates next in line.
Oates and Arthars on the wings until mid year when one of them invariably drops in form, then Mariner.

If we don't play Mariner this year, I'd be concerned.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021
To be honest, I suspect Kevvie was just humouring Tristan. Giving him hope. Keeping him motivated.
I think this is more likely, I just can’t see Sailor nabbing a bench spot unless he is willing to play hooker

or unless Billy becomes an 80 minute hooker, which I don’t like. Even if Billy managed to drag himself through 80 minutes I still don’t think it would be as effective as having a fresh spark at hooker coming off the bench.

ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015
The last thing the team needs is another hooker, but I think he could be a more damaging and versatile 14 than Walters, Smoothy or Paix, none of whom could cover an outside back convincingly. I can't see Kevvie going for only two genuine forwards on the bench.
Has Sailor ever played at 9?

turkeysnow

turkeysnow

BRL Player
Jan 5, 2021
Hetherington can cover 9 for 20 odd min. Sailor coming on and playing that middle, additional ball player role would open up games, Willison and Baker the two middles on the bench.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Oates and Arthars on the wings until mid year when one of them invariably drops in form, then Mariner.

Exactly right.

I dont think yesterday should tarnish Mariners reputation. Sure he probably played himself out of the wing position but I think he played like a bloke who thought it was beneath him. His punishment ironically is being stuck at that level for a little while longer. His body language and demeanor was that of someone sulking and half assed rather than someone hungry for a rd 1 spot. He could just as easily come out and score 3 next week with 200+ metres and no errors and be back in the hunt. Not unheard of for outside backs to have a sloppy pre-season game especially the younger ones.

He isn’t a write off never to be seen again all year cause he had a crappy pre-season game. Like isn’t that what this is all about? Getting that shit out of your game before rd 1. It’s a learning experience and it just means that he will have to put on an incredible performance next week to get back in the hunt. The game is not even the remotest representation of his ability. He played his skin out in NRL last year, I’ll back that Mariner over yesterdays when it comes time to make a selection call. I just don’t think for Mariner that said call will be in rd 1.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Guess that could answer your “no backs on the bench” dilemma

14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Baker
17. Sailor
I can see something like this happening, Melbourne have done something like this alot in the past too.

For me it can work if Sailor can do a bit of lock later in the game if we keep the backline all game, the 17th man generally doesn't do big minutes anyway for us.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019

Mariner will almost certainly be doing what Arthars was last year as the first choice backup for Centre/Wing.

He will get games.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Exactly right.

I dont think yesterday should tarnish Mariners reputation. Sure he probably played himself out of the wing position but I think he played like a bloke who thought it was beneath him. His punishment ironically is being stuck at that level for a little while longer. His body language and demeanor was that of someone sulking and half assed rather than someone hungry for a rd 1 spot. He could just as easily come out and score 3 next week with 200+ metres and no errors and be back in the hunt. Not unheard of for outside backs to have a sloppy pre-season game especially the younger ones.

He isn’t a write off never to be seen again all year cause he had a crappy pre-season game. Like isn’t that what this is all about? Getting that shit out of your game before rd 1. It’s a learning experience and it just means that he will have to put on an incredible performance next week to get back in the hunt. The game is not even the remotest representation of his ability. He played his skin out in NRL last year, I’ll back that Mariner over yesterdays when it comes time to make a selection call. I just don’t think for Mariner that said call will be in rd 1.

I’m starting to get used to this version of you.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Has Sailor ever played at 9?
Not that I know about. The Dragons used him off the bench a couple of times, with three forwards. Both times, their hooker Cameron McInnes played 80 minutes. Otherwise, he seems to have played halfback, five eighth, fullback, wing and centre. Pretty handy to have on the books.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
If you only watch two minutes, make it these two. The ghost of Herbie lives on in Deine Mariner:

Pretty good botch. The pass was not as easy as it looks though, defenders did a great job of making the angle hard. His biggest crime was not getting low earlier

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023

I was a fly on the wall during the break whilst Paix was talking to the family… it went something like this:
Family:
“ Mate, you’ve been exposed. You’re too shit to play 7, you’re too weak for 9. You’re behind a minimum 3 blokes at hooker. Even Wayne wouldn’t take you. Just sit tight, let the Broncos release you with pay. They won’t want you on the books in a little while”

Paix:
“You guys are right! Yeah, **** em. They signed me and if they aren’t going to play me in first grade, they’ll want the cap space… I’ll take the payout”

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Pretty good botch. The pass was not as easy as it looks though, defenders did a great job of making the angle hard. His biggest crime was not getting low earlier
His biggest crime might be believing his own press. I'd be sending him back to reserve grade for a big cup of humility.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • johnyE
  • davidp
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • mitch222
  • Galah
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.