2024 State of Origin discussion

are you sure about that? Tualagi was very good for us in origin last year. I don’t think he would lose his spot to Cobbo. Hammer is in if he’s fit and played at least one game ahead of Cobbo. I don’t think it’s up for debate except for with you

Hammer or Selwyn is close .
But like I said Hammer needs to play centre and show some form to garantee his spot .
Selwyn v Tualagi ? Sorry Murray maybe next year bru . LOL .

Hammer or Selwyn is close .
But like I said Hammer needs to play centre and show some form to garantee his spot .
Selwyn v Tualagi ? Sorry Murray maybe next year bru . LOL .
I can’t see Slater not selecting Tualagi is he’s fit. His defence in origin 1 last year was huge. I’d rather see Cobbo in the centres too. It suits him so much better than being on the wing.

Selwyn would make the squad either way I think .
He covers a lot of positions . Basically all the outside backs and could play edge or middle if required IMO .
I remember Kevvie giving him a run in the fwds a while back . Went alright too .

Hammer has proved himself in Origin at center. They left side is locked down for him if he is fit.

Yep the only 3 broncos I’ll allow is:
1. Pat Carrigan - happy for the world to share in his majesty a couple of times a year.
2. Reece Walsh - I want him learning as much as possible from Billy Slater
3. Payne Haas - he doesn’t play that well for NSW and is somewhat a Trojan horse for us.

Everyone else can stay.
Haas playing with his current knee issues is not great for us... he doesn't do much for NSW, but I'm assuming the medical team won't want him playing 2 games in 4-days on it either

Haas playing with his current knee issues is not great for us... he doesn't do much for NSW, but I'm assuming the medical team won't want him playing 2 games in 4-days on it either
I’d be very surprised if any of our origin stars back for any games

I’d be very surprised if any of our origin stars back for any games
Desperate times call for desperate measures... Everyone backed up last year (although Kevvie said he should've rested Walsh after origin 2).

I think if we were full strength and cruising then they'd be rested, but if we're losing games, etc. then he may want them backing up on restricted minutes.

Patty will desperately need a break at some point anyway.

1. Walsh ... Will be Qld fullback
2. Oates ... won't get picked unless it's absolute dire straights / Arthars ... Kiwi
3. Staggs (chance NSW pick him primarily because Latrell has been trash... Turbo plays right side centre for them though and they've got Bradman on the left... even though he's not playing as well as Staggs anyway)
4. Cobbo almost odds on... Hammer injured, Coates injured (unsure how long though)... Val one spot, Gagai not picked last year, so might only be Murray in front of him with a few spots up for grabs pending injury
5. Mariner... no chance (hopefully)... we can't afford to lose a rookie winger to origin, surely Billy doesn't pick him
6. Ezra ... chance for 18th man, but I'd say Dearden is in front for that spot anyway... if Hunt, Munster or DCE miss out then Ezra might get picked with Dearden being promoted
7. Madden ... no chance
8. Jensen... very unlikely unless there are more injuries... Qld forward stocks should be right for the time being
9. Billy... no chance
10. Haas... NSW will pick him and play him into the ground even though he's not fully fit. Would be great if broncos medicos step in, but not sure they can pull him from NSW and then play him in broncos
11. Piakura... a chance pending injuries and make up of the bench... I think he makes an extended squad, but he shouldn't be playing Qld at all this year. Needs to get through a full NRL season before they start talking about it
12. Riki ... Kiwi
13. Patty... Will be Qld 13

14. Smoothy... no chance
15. Kobe... behind Jensen at least
16. Willison... Kiwi??
17... don't even know who fills this spot half the time.

Walsh odds on... Tristan comes in
Haas odds on if fit... sounds like Te Kura is next man up for Haas, but also have Taupau and Hunt as other middles
Patty odds on... Kobe starts, but won't have the ball playing. Probably Hunt or Gos coming in to provide hybrid forward on the bench
Cobbo very very good chance and Staggs a chance... not sure as we're running out of backs and centres were short anyway Hoeter injured and Arthars out for maybe 6 weeks or so (Origin 2)... Pereira and Oates the obvious, Leota and Karapani the next placed, but no clear centre if we lose both of them. Mariner would move into one spot and Arthars the other if fit.
If we lose Ezra as 18th man that would be fucked, but Rogers would come in I'd say... or maybe Billy to halves just to get Mozer into the team... depends how Kevvie wants to play it

imo Dearden is easily above Ezra, on the basis he basically owns the cowboys atm.

Ezra has a higher peak though, but he is a few years younger, Walsh and Ezra are the key Qld future in a few years.
Not sure on what metric Dearden is better than Mam atm outside of defence. He rarely kicks in general play for the cows and has 2 try assists all year. So he’s a half who doesn’t kick or create tries: he’s pretty much playing as an inside centre on the left while Drinkwater and Townsend play as the halves in attack (Drinkwater playing both sides of the field)

Not sure on what metric Dearden is better than Mam atm outside of defence. He rarely kicks in general play for the cows and has 2 try assists all year. So he’s a half who doesn’t kick or create tries: he’s pretty much playing as an inside centre on the left while Drinkwater and Townsend play as the halves in attack (Drinkwater playing both sides of the field)

Dearden has played for Billy and was excellent for Billy in Origin. He has the trust of the coach that Mam doesnt yet.

I think Dearden gets a bad wrap based on his time here but his game has been consistently good for quite a while now. I'd put him in front of Mam personally because hes a better defender imo and he does do a lot of the effort plays, which is a origin trait. Not saying Mam doesnt do the effort plays, but his defence overall isnt as good as Dearden.

With injuries playing such a part in deciding games this year, I wonder if we might see Cobbo named as the 17.

With injuries playing such a part in deciding games this year, I wonder if we might see Cobbo named as the 17.

Its not out of the realms of possibility considering the injury issues at the moment. Its unlikely but i dont think you could rule it out.

Walsh will be fb but after last night im not stoked about it. Kid is a gun but needs to temper this score on every touch mentality…

What is current about his knee ?
He had minor surgery - recovery - now playing better .

Selwyn would make the squad either way I think .
He covers a lot of positions . Basically all the outside backs and could play edge or middle if required IMO .
I remember Kevvie giving him a run in the fwds a while back . Went alright too .

He wasnt great against the rorters. He had an issue before the game with the knee, and he played like he did in the first couple of games before he got the operation. I dont think he's close to even 80% with it.

OK .
I didn`t notice . I thought he was back on track last week . Played strong .
Maybe why BTK was 18th man ?

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • jd87
  • Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • KnToad
  • Brocko
  • Manifesto
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • LittleDavey
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  • Battler
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.