Auckland 9s Broncos v Roosters

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Re: Aucklund 9s Broncos v Roosters

It's frustrating to watch us play badly but I think some people need to unslit their wrists re: the actual season. Most of this simply isn't applicable. Gillett and Barba won't be playing wing, Stagg is a fringe player, early-set hit-ups won't be a strategic error. The only real concern I have is Hunt's kicking game being way off, but I'm sure he's aware of it and will work on it.

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011

I seriously don't get Griffin at all. 9 players on the field with more open space, same old griffin ball. Also first game interchange......Macca off....Stagg on who plays hooker and then in the halves later on........no Granville?

Hunts game is also worrying, tears up Cowboys/Knights game late last year, does nothing useful with 9 defenders.

Last edited:
coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012

We need to beat the eels by thirteen so we are probably out of it. I think barba was on wing cause Freddys high tackle actually hurt him.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013

We need to beat the eels by thirteen so we are probably out of it. I think barba was on wing cause Freddys high tackle actually hurt him.
2 teams from each pool make it - how much we need to win by depends on the Bulldogs-Roosters game.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

I dunno mate, roster wise we are taking it seriously but it's hard to make any sense out of how we are approaching the nines gameplan/player positioning wise when for example you got Barba playing a different role to the one you would expect him to be playing and then somehow make a comparison to what that means for the upcoming season?

think you missed my point. broncos named pretty much the strongest side they could and from all indications they intended to take the 9s as a 'serious' trial for the season. if you're going to do that, then wouldnt you have barba in a traditional fullback position, and someone other than gillett out wide?

makes me question griffins thinking.

and im worried that hunt really offered nothing.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

barba was on the wing from the first game.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012

Selections of Stagg and Lowrie make no sense. Understandably, defence is still an aspect of the game, but you know what you get with Stagg/Lowrie. Don't know why they're there. I'd prefer to be scoring points rather than trying to not concede. MORE BACKS HOOK

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

Getting used to watching performances like that from this team. Nothing's changed. Still just a bunch a players fumbling around without a clue.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

Woah!!! Let's reign back the horses here. We're losing our bundle over a couple of 18 minute games which have absolutely no bearing on what our team will look like come round 1. If anyone thinks we're going to see Barba on the wing come NRL season proper is absolutely kidding themselves. Anyone thinking anything other than this weekend is a good opportunity for all of our main players to get a hit out in a competitive environment is also kidding themselves.

Let's look at the positives from our two 9s games thus far. McCullough looks a lot sharper, Thaiday looks to be running hard, Glenn is cover defending well, Barba adds a little spark that we didn't have last year and Copely looks strong and quick. We can dwell on the negatives if we want to, but we really shouldn't think that any signs coming out of these two games is going to have a bearing on the season proper.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Technically, increased fitness would only be evident at the end of some 40 minute halves. Not 9 minutes with unlimited interchange. Dumb football is dumb football though.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Woah!!! Let's reign back the horses here. We're losing our bundle over a couple of 18 minute games which have absolutely no bearing on what our team will look like come round 1. If anyone thinks we're going to see Barba on the wing come NRL season proper is absolutely kidding themselves. Anyone thinking anything other than this weekend is a good opportunity for all of our main players to get a hit out in a competitive environment is also kidding themselves.

Let's look at the positives from our two 9s games thus far. McCullough looks a lot sharper, Thaiday looks to be running hard, Glenn is cover defending well, Barba adds a little spark that we didn't have last year and Copely looks strong and quick. We can dwell on the negatives if we want to, but we really shouldn't think that any signs coming out of these two games is going to have a bearing on the season proper.

Exactly. If you think this had any bearing on the season you must be looking forward to watching parra win the minor premiership

B

BroncosFan_Corey

QCup Player
Nov 2, 2013

The whole time i was watching the second game i was thinking "I wish we had Milford" haha

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013

Exactly. If you think this had any bearing on the season you must be looking forward to watching parra win the minor premiership

Why? The warriors have been much better then parra.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013

I don't give a shit how insignificant this competition is, our head coach made it clear he was going to Auckland to win and he has done sweet **** all to back that up with his game plan. He hadn't given barba, nikorima or strasser a proper go in the halves and it's doing my fucking head in. **** off stag and **** off Lowrie, you do not need both of those players on the field at the same time. Especially not trying to throw cut out balls.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

I don't give a shit how insignificant this competition is, our head coach made it clear he was going to Auckland to win and he has done sweet **** all to back that up with his game plan. He hadn't given barba, nikorima or strasser a proper go in the halves and it's doing my fucking head in. **** off stag and **** off Lowrie, you do not need both of those players on the field at the same time. Especially not trying to throw cut out balls.

Remember that time we won half the games we have played today. Everyone's acting as though we've lost 50-nil in both games.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

Remember that time we won half the games we have played today. Everyone's acting as though we've lost 50-nil in both games.

Totally. Way too may over reactions about a loss in a 9s game. As if we're going to develop any structure, great back line plays or defensive cohesion in such a fast-paced game. I find it hard to believe we can get any kind of backline or spine cohesion when players are on and off every 2 or 3 minutes.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

We've gotta play the eels last too and they look good, we need to beat them to progress correct?

Ignore this post. For some reason, it showed yours as the last post...

I can see someone has already answered your question.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • vnrizz
  • Aldo
  • mrslong
  • RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.