BHQ's Great Ever State Of Origin Backrowers

Who are the greatest QLD Origin backrowers?

• Kevin CAMPION

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dane CARLAW

• Gary COYNE

• Mick CROCKER

• Chris FLANNERY

• Wally FULLERTON-SMITH

• Trevor GILLMEISTER

• Gary LARSON

• Bob LINDNER

• Billy MOORE

• Travis NORTON

• Darren SMITH

• Gordon TALLIS

• Paul VAUTIN

• Total voters
BroncoMatt

BroncoMatt

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ok Boys and Girls, time to vote foe the engine room

#Please note you get 3 selections here

Kevin Campion
(2001-02)
4 Games (1 as reserve)
2 Wins, 2 Losses

Dane Carlaw
(2001-05)
13 Games (4 as reserve)
4 Wins, 1 Draw, 8 Loses
4 Tries

Tonie Carroll
(1998-2007)
18 Games (9 as reserve)
7 Wins, 1 Draw, 10 Losses
1 Try

Gary Coyne
(1989-92)
10 Wins (8 as reserve)
6 Wins, 4 Losses

Mick Crocker
(2003-Current)
9 Games (1 as reserve)
3 Wins, 6 Losses
3 Tries

Chris Flannery*
(2002-06)
10 Wins (5 as reserve)
5 Wins, 5 Losses

*Shortlisted a an Utility

Wally Fullerton-Smith
(1983-90)
12 Games (1 as reserve)
8 Wins, 4 Losses

Trevor Gillmeister
(1987-96)
23 Games (9 as reserve)
14 Wins, 9 Losses

Gary Larson
(1991-98)
24 Games
11 Wins, 13 Losses

Bob Lindner
(1984-93)
25 Games (3 as reserve)
13 Wins, 12 Losses
7 Tries

Gene Miles*
(1982-89)
20 Games (1 as reserve)
13 Wins, 7 Losses
6 Tries

*Also Shortlisted as Centre

Billy Moore
(1992-97)
17 Wins (2 as reserve)
7 Wins, 10 Losses
2 Tries

Rod Morris
(1980-82)
4 Games
4 Wins, 0 Losses

Bryan Niebling
(1983-87)
9 Games
5 Wins, 4 Losses
1 Try

Travis Norton
(2002-04)
5 Games (4 as reserve)
2 Wins, 1 Draw, 2 Losses

Darren Smith*
(1992-2002)
22 Games (7 as reserve)
9 Wins, 2 Draws, 11 Losses
2 Tries

*Also Shortlisted as Centre

Jason Smith*
(1994-2000)
16 Games (3 as reserve)
6 Wins, 1 Draw, 9 Losses
1 Try

*Also Shortlisted as an Utility

Gordon Tallis
(1994-2003)
17 Games (2 as reserve)
5 Wins, 2 Draws, 10 Losses
4 Tries

Brad Thorn
(1996-2005)
11 Games (2 as reserve)
1 Wins, 1 Draw, 9 Losses
1 Try

Paul Vautin
(1982-90)
22 Games (2 as reserve)
15 Wins, 7 Losses
2 Tries

i went gordy, larson and moore. Sure moore and larson werent that flashy, but i grew up seeing them in the team, year after year and really looked up to them. They always put in 110%

Gillmeister, Tallis and Neibling got my votes.

This is the toughest of the lot IMO.

Fullerton-Smith was very under-rated in what he did, tackled everything.

Gillmeister is an absolute legend and the hardest hitting forward ever. Caused the error that led to the King's classic 1989 try and many other errors as well.

Larson never missed a game in something like 8 series??? Never missed a tackle either. His experience played a huge part in the 1995 miracle.

Lindner went from being an ordinary club footballer to one of the best back-rowers in the land when he played Origin footy. Not to mention playing with a broken leg!!!

Miles is your Queensland legend but misses out here because I thought he was better in the centres for Queensland.

Morris well 4 games for 4 wins - that's somethin to be proud of!!!

Jason Smith did some really good things for Queensland in the mid-late 90's and should be in this team somewhere IMO. I'll leave him for the bench.

Tallis is an obvious candidate who loved Queensland and Origin footy.

Vautin most people on here think of him as the clown on TV, but he did some awesome things playing for Queensland.

In the end, my back-rowers are:

11. Trevor Gillmeister
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lindner

I went Vautin, Gillmeister and Larson. The last 2 were absolute tackle machines and didnt mind busting the line either in attack.

All three put their heart and souls in to QLD, especially Fatty I think.

Could have picked any of the candidates...so difficult!!

I agree with Jeb in that Gordie should be in the team but its most likely on the bench.

Jeza23 said:
I agree with Jeb in that Gordie should be in the team but its most likely on the bench.

Gordie's not making my team [icon_wink

Very very hard, I picked Tallis, Lindner and Gilly with Larson and Vautin the most unlucky of a quite a few great players to miss out. Tallis is a god and bled maroon while the other two were good club footballers who became amazing players when you gave them a maroon shirt.

Haha sorry Jeb, I misread it, turns out you had Jason Smith on there haha

I went for Tallis, Gilmeister and Tunza here.

The axe, Tallis and Vautin here. Larson and Moore would have been next for me as they are part of very fond early origin memories of mine.
Also, a lot of people say Tallis didn't do much in origin. I chose Tallis because he is one of the the most passionate and gutsy players I have watched in SOO. He got fired up like no player I have ever seen. I think just being in the team gave QLD a boost. (Apart from in 2000 of course)

bfoord said:
I went for Tallis, Gilmeister and Tunza here.
Likewise.

Tallis - his tackle on hodgson, one of the gratest moments of all time.
Gilly - his shot on the Chief, never fails to make me laugh
TC - my favourite Bronco of all time...his shot on Brett White also makes me laugh.

Tough, tough call. As much as I wanted to vote for Kevin Campion...I didn't.

Based purely on Origin I went for Larson, Vautin and Lindner.

Yeah, this is massive.

Gilly, Larson, Lindner, Vautin, Tallis. The rest are still demi-gods but we have to pick just 3.

Lindner is a must. QLD royalty

Gilly has to be selected, basically just for his no shit attitude. Anyone who wants to muck around in a scrum with him knew about it! fortunately, this means for me, Tallis misses out. Tallis never had a huge impact on Origin IMO. He had a few steller moments, but not the consistent "rise to the occasion with a Maroon jersey on" that many more of the older backrowers had

So, Larson or Vautin.....Vautin had more flair (if that's what you would call it), however Larson is a work machine. Vautin .....just. can i change it later?

I went Lindner, Larson and Vautin. I remember being so impressed with Larson and Vautin as a kid, and Fatty gets extra points for '95 ;)

Was hard to leave out Gilly, Tallis and Tunza.

This was really hard...

Lidner was my first choice. Watching him in the early 90's was a highlight of any SOO game. Always did the job.
Gilly was my second choice - tough as nails and solid as a rock.
Tallis #3 for me. Almost purely for his tackle on Hodgson. His passion was contagious.

Larsen, Moore and Vautin came close.

I voted the same bb. This one was really tough, so many great back rowers have worn that maroon jersey over the years.

Lindner easily, then Gilly and whilst most of you are probably too young to have seen him play Rod Morris was a gun and gets my third spot easily over the others.

Some great backups that are worthy of mention in Vautin, Sven Larson and Wally Gator. Never really rated Tallis at his best in SOO I'm afraid.

Gilly, Lindner and Tallis for me. Easily the hardest ones to pick IMO, despite the fact that it appears those three are pretty clear cut leaders.

No one at all could argue with the inclusion of any of the above three along with Moore, Vautin and Larson, in particular. So many great servants of the jersey - even the likes of Fullerton-Smith, Travis Norton and Darren Smith have really typified the game IMO.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • FACTHUNT
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.