Blair should not change aggressive style: Renouf

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRISBANE legend Steve Renouf has urged Adam Blair not to change his aggressive style, saying the Broncos need his firebrand approach to break a 10-year premiership drought.

Blair will miss Saturday night’s clash against Manly after copping a one-match ban for a chicken-wing tackle on clubmate Sam Thaiday in New Zealand’s 16-0 loss to Australia last Friday night.

Ironically, Thaiday is now set to fill the front-row void of the man who attacked him for the double-header duel with the Sea Eagles at Suncorp Stadium.

It is the second consecutive week Blair will miss a Broncos match after being sidelined for Brisbane’s 30-28 loss to the Sharks in the lead-up to the Anzac Test.

Broncos legend Gorden Tallis this week claimed Blair was one of the dirtiest players in the code, but Renouf implored the Kiwi Test prop to maintain the rage.

“To be honest, I don’t think Adam Blair should change his ways,” Renouf said.

“Gordy has been strong in his opinion but there’s a lot of players with a bit of ‘aggro’ in them and there’s nothing wrong with it if they channel it in the right way.

“The truth is we were lacking a bit of mongrel before Adam came along.

“We had some very good forwards but we didn’t have a real aggressor, we need someone who can put some niggle in and Adam is that guy.

“The Broncos need a bit of mongrel in their pack to be a premiership force and Adam has brought that.

“He should keep playing the same way.”

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said the incident would not destabilise the Broncos, saying on Tuesday: “Adam has accepted an early guilty plea and that’s it, we’re getting on with it.”

There were fears Blair’s surprising attack on Thaiday in the Test arena could spill over to club level and potentially erode his rapport with the Maroons enforcer at Red Hill.

But Renouf, a key member of Brisbane’s maiden premiership win in 1992, is adamant Bennett will ensure morale is not a problem.

“It was a bit of a surprise, especially from a teammate, that’s what I couldn’t get my head around,” he said.

“People have brain explosions out there and Adam is that type of player. He is passionate, it looked to us like he meant it but in the heat of the moment, we don’t know if it was deliberate.

“I don’t know what he was thinking to be honest. When you look at it, it’s a bit of an ordinary act but I’m sure he and Sammy will sort it out.

“Morale won’t be a problem. I’m sure they will sort it pretty quick and knowing Wayne the way I do, he will sort it out pretty quick.

“Sammy is a tough customer and he will just get on with it. Wayne would have a chat to them without a doubt.”

In a further blow for the Broncos, backrower Alex Glenn is set to miss the Sea Eagles clash as he battles a calf injury.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

I'm all for the way he plays now. But I am not for him chicken winging his club team mate and getting suspended.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • jd87
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Skathen
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.