Boyd - I'm trying too hard

Well, i'm not lying, and i know rugby league, so put me on that list if you want, i dont have to try to please you or anyone on here. You do what you feel like.

What i will say though is you seem to feel making a poor decision, or coming up with the wrong play is the same thing as not trying. If you cant see that, then maybe you are the one who doesn't have a clue about any sport in general where you have a split second to make an decision.

So i am going to say i think he tried to stop the examples you said. I absolutely think he did. Do i think he made a couple of really bad decisions which ended up being huge errors. I'm absolutely saying that as well. Like i said, not trying and making big mistakes are two different things. I feel Boyd is doing the latter.

You heard it here first ladies and gentlemen, jogging alongside a bloke with your arms raised begging for a penalty is considered a "poor choice" and not a lack of effort.

This is like arguing with flat earthers, there's no talking sense in to them, they've made up their mind.

You heard it here first ladies and gentlemen, jogging alongside a bloke with your arms raised begging for a penalty is considered a "poor choice" and not a lack of effort.

This is like arguing with flat earthers, there's no talking sense in to them, they've made up their mind.

And you havent made up your mind? Going around calling people liars if they disagree with you. Very classy.

Last edited:
And you havent made up your mind? Going around calling people liars if they disagree with you. Very classy.

Absolutely I've made up my mind in regards to the 2 examples we're discussing. I've already said, I can see alternative points of view in the other examples people talk about, like when he slips over and falls for dummies, those can be genuine mistakes or him overplaying his hand. But the specific examples we're discussing right now are without doubt, unequivocally a lack of effort, or more importantly, a lack of care.

Can you not see that?

Just to clarify one last time before I move on from this topic, would you like to reaffirm your point of view that Boyd throwing his arms in the air and begging for a penalty multiple times in the last 12 months is just him making poor defensive choices?

Since people are still running with a click bait headline I'm going to quote what he actually said.

Personally I look at it as probably just trying too hard, we're a young side, I'm a captain, I'm the leader and sometimes I try to pull a rabbit out of my hat instead of just doing my job and making the tackle.
and they have no context of the actual question. It's typical Murdoch cancer rags where they do anything to elicit a reaction and it's disappointing how much people in this thread buy into it because it supports an existing bias, whether that bias is justified or not.

Which you blamed on boyd ? No hate just pointing out that there's more players out of form than just boyd. Maybe you shouldn't watch sports anymore if you're just going to criticize people who have gotten further than you.

You’re gonna compare life status between highly paid professional sports players with online forum posters? Because I’m an online forum poster I can criticise who ever I want and you’re doing the same saying Oates was dumb for messing up the play. I get it, you’re miserable because the broncos are struggling but it’s just a game at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since people are still running with a click bait headline I'm going to quote what he actually said.

and they have no context of the actual question. It's typical Murdoch cancer rags where they do anything to elicit a reaction and it's disappointing how much people in this thread buy into it because it supports an existing bias, whether that bias is justified or not.

It sounds better, but he said something very similar a few weeks back too. He just keeps doing it though, and seems to fall for more dummies than any other player in the comp.

sounds like he's at least acknowledging he should go for the tackle instead of the intercept.

Okay this comment has always grounded my gears .... yes he pressures the kicker and yes he runs back to the fullback position... he also leaves a huge gaping hole in the defensive line when he runs back. The same gaping hole that MCK waltzed through. If he held his line he win

or the Tigers are able to slot the field goal since there would have been no pressure on the kicker ... we lose anyway

Absolutely I've made up my mind in regards to the 2 examples we're discussing. I've already said, I can see alternative points of view in the other examples people talk about, like when he slips over and falls for dummies, those can be genuine mistakes or him overplaying his hand. But the specific examples we're discussing right now are without doubt, unequivocally a lack of effort, or more importantly, a lack of care.

Can you not see that?

Just to clarify one last time before I move on from this topic, would you like to reaffirm your point of view that Boyd throwing his arms in the air and begging for a penalty multiple times in the last 12 months is just him making poor defensive choices?

Yep, its poor choices. He thinks its a penalty, so he appeals for it. Thats a mistake on his part, a bad decision, its not what he should be doing. You play to the whistle. Its not rocket science to grasp that. Thats not a lack of effort. Lack of care, maybe, as like i said, he isnt playing to the whistle. But we werent talking about a lack of care ( and that is a phase that can have multiple meanings depending on the context ), we were talking about if he was trying or not.

Yep, its poor choices. He thinks its a penalty, so he appeals for it. Thats a mistake on his part, a bad decision, its not what he should be doing. You play to the whistle. Its not rocket science to grasp that. Thats not a lack of effort. Lack of care, maybe, as like i said, he isnt playing to the whistle. But we werent talking about a lack of care ( and that is a phase that can have multiple meanings depending on the context ), we were talking about if he was trying or not.

But doesn't it follow that if he cared more then he would try harder? I think perhaps it's more that what used to work for Darius isn't working now, and he's not adapting.

So basically you're saying because he made a choice to make no effort, he gets a pass. He tried hard to make no effort.

I'll reluctantly cop the Tedesco try, playing for a penalty or whatever, but the Crichton one was pathetic. He stood there and watched, instead of taking a single step to the right and attempting a tackle.

Not playing to the whistle is 100% a lack of effort, it's expecting someone else to do the job for you. That's a lack of effort in a nutshell.

Okay this comment has always grounded my gears .... yes he pressures the kicker and yes he runs back to the fullback position... he also leaves a huge gaping hole in the defensive line when he runs back. The same gaping hole that MCK waltzed through. If he held his line he win

That’s not what happened at all!

Chee Kam ran towards the middle of the field, and was surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders. He wanted to get the ball out the back as there was space out wide, but our defenders were awake to it and cut him off. But instead of tackling him, they all held off and instead he just ran through as they arm grabbed.

There was no gaping hole, Boyd did exactly what needed to happen to cut off the field goal and get back in the line.

Consider this too. Boyd was wrong-footed by Crichton but learned from it. Later, he was in a similar situation where he was once again wrong-footed and off-balance, he tried harder to turn, but this time slipped. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

But doesn't it follow that if he cared more then he would try harder? I think perhaps it's more that what used to work for Darius isn't working now, and he's not adapting.

Well, no it doesn't really. I'm not sure why the care thing has come into play here as like i said before, there are so many ways it can be construed. If a player isn't carrying the ball securely enough and drops it, that's a lack of care, same as appealing to the ref for a penalty instead of playing to the whistle imo, Depends on the context you want to use it in.

There are times he hasnt put his body on the line when he probably should have, but then again i've seen him put his body on the line as well and he is running back and into players much better than he was in round one. If he didnt try he wouldnt be doing it, so i dont believe he doesnt care.

Not playing to the whistle is 100% a lack of effort, it's expecting someone else to do the job for you. That's a lack of effort in a nutshell.

Its plain stupid, and putting your faith in the ref to agree with you isnt smart, but it still doesnt mean you arent trying. You cant tell me if Moose for example, who ran for 214 meters last week, make 4 tackle busts and 39 tackles didnt play to the whistle on occasions then he had a lack of effort?

Its plain stupid, and putting your faith in the ref to agree with you isnt smart, but it still doesnt mean you arent trying. You cant tell me if Moose for example, who ran for 214 meters last week, make 4 tackle busts and 39 tackles didnt play to the whistle on occasions then he had a lack of effort?
In those isolated efforts, absolutely. Doesn't detract from his game overall and that's therein the issue people have, if he was running for 200m, setting up tries and making generally great defensive efforts, people could forgive him for switching off here and there. It's the fact he's not really doing any of the aforementioned that magnifies his lack of efforts in those situations.

Last edited:
So basically you're saying because he made a choice to make no effort, he gets a pass. He tried hard to make no effort.

I'll reluctantly cop the Tedesco try, playing for a penalty or whatever, but the Crichton one was pathetic. He stood there and watched, instead of taking a single step to the right and attempting a tackle.

No, i'm not saying that.

You’re gonna compare life status between highly paid professional sports players with online forum posters? Because I’m an online forum poster I can criticise who ever I want and you’re doing the same saying Oates was dumb for messing up the play. I get it, you’re miserable because the broncos are struggling but it’s just a game at the end of the day.

You have no idea how much I don't care about the situation the Broncos are in , I've stated I'm happy to roll with the punches with this young team. Like you said it's only a game. But this constant dribble about boyd is a joke, criticize him and move on.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  • Johnny92
  • Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.