Brisbane Bombers NRL Bid

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
I actually think Qld needs another successful franchise. But not another purely Brisbane based/named team.

Ipswich Jets or Bombers
Logan Bombers
Western Rangers
Qld "Bombers"

Seriously, you would pack a stadium every Friday night in Ipswich with Rugby League fans from the city and the regions.
Yeah out of the QLD bids I'd say Ipswich would be the best choice. Unfortunately their bid team hasn't exactly set the world on fire but I blame the NRL for a lot of that since they've been leading expansion teams on for years (and totally screwed over the CC who now look to have missed their window).

Ipswich would become my second team if introduced (for reference I don't really care about the Titans or Cowboys beyond wanting them to stay financially viable, so it's not just a QLD thing).
CQ would be a no-brainer if they doubled their population overnight. As it stands it's probably a little risky to invest in a wide-spread, sparsely populated region that relies so heavily on just a handful of industries.
CC are probably boned now - the best they can hope for is a partial relocation which is a shame considering how well developed their bid has been for over a decade.
NZ2 isn't ready yet. If they keep building league in New Zealand they might be ready for the second round of expansion, if that ever even arrives.
Perth will get in the next time teams are introduced, and deservedly so. I preferred the Reds to the Pirates but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Adelaide would be a GWS sized mistake. "Hey you know that sport you don't care about? And that team you weren't asking for? You're welcome Adelaide."
PNG look to be going the QCup route. Good luck to them. On the plus side I can't really see them having financial problems, as the PNG government would probably prioritise rugby league over defense, education and healthcare combined in their annual budget.
The Bombers are just too manufactured and lacking in grassroots support for my liking. Their upside is the LA Clippers. Their downside is the Crushers.

Perth is so far ahead it's not funny. In fact if Perth wasn't an option I very much doubt expansion would be on the horizon. But another team might get in riding their coattails to avoid an odd-numbered competition, and if that happens I really hope it's the Ipswich Jets (Newtown can EAD).

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yep 6 premierships from 6 grand-finals, 2 world club championships, only missed the finals 5 times in history, produced countless representative stars for state and country, always on top of the average crowd attendance and has the most popular NRL brand in the country. All of that in 25 years wow the Broncos aren't successful aren't they?.

Let's put my Bombers hat on:

Doesn't matter, one team town, even Parramatta's management could have done it. True story. Honest.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I actually think Qld needs another successful franchise. But not another purely Brisbane based/named team.

Ipswich Jets or Bombers
Logan Bombers
Western Rangers
Qld "Bombers"

Seriously, you would pack a stadium every Friday night in Ipswich with Rugby League fans from the city and the regions.

Given recent events I think Ipswich Bombers would strike a few too many nerves. If the bid did go to Ipswich, I'd love to see it as the jets personally

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
To BrisbaneBombers2015 I say you are attempting to re invent history to support your argument. The Crushers were never particularly successful. Although they enjoyed the support of the QRL and had the then ' Lang Park ' as their home ground they came to us as liars. The QRL were repeatedly offered the chance to field a team in the Sydney comp and they, cowardly refused to take the chance. The Broncos did as history shows. They were also enormously successful which enraged the twenty cent admin of the QRL. The QRL was a poor retarded cousin to the high and mighty NSWRL who instructed the QRL. They were impotent.

Running a distant second they sponsored a new team,the Crushers. However they lied outright to the people by continually denying any involvement with the Crushers. The truth was about to be exposed by journos when they finally came clean and admitted that the Crushers, far from being a genuine free entity ,the QRL was the main support for the Crushers. They had done everything in their power to undermine the Broncos, things like stopping sponsors at Lang Park, supporting every decision made by the equally jealous NSWRL.

TheCrushers were based on deceit, heavily favoured at every turn and unsuccessful on the field even with the unfair advantages. The crowds dwindled even with the free tickets given away. Superleague did not kill the Crushers, they committed suicide. Had they a tenth of the honour of the Broncos they would be alive today.

That said, I personally would love to have another team come in and based in Brisbane/ Ipswich would be great.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
So uhhh yeah, how is this working out for ya?

The Bombers was always a terrible, terrible bid. When they debuted on the footy show a few years ago and pulled their stunt of dressing the hosts in Pilot gear, I honestly thought it was a gee up to piss off the AFL hardcore. It seemed like such a flagrant ripoff of Essendon's establishment, and in a lot of ways, I still believe that is all it was. The logo and "mascot", if you can call it that are horrendously ugly, the plans for localization are equally as bad and nonsensical when factoring in the sporting environment in Brisbane and considering that the bid seems to have fallen off the face of the planet in light of the Pirates and the separate Brisbane 2 bid, it seems like it was never really taken seriously, even by the people that established it.

The Western Suburbs will get their team and the Bombers will go exactly where they deserve to go, the dustbin of history. Your little ploy to kneecap the Broncos was never going to work and you were stupid to think it ever would.

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I'm honestly not sure how expansion is still on the agenda. I understand the NRL made a profit but honestly, there just isn't enough talent to go around. We have guys like Folau, Sam Burgess, Benji Marshall and SBW leaving the game and weakening the level of quality on offer and now we are looking at adding 1-2 teams that also need to field a side. Either the new sides will be walkovers or they'll pay ridiculously marquee money for 1-2 stars and reduce the quality of all teams, making the NRL and even blander and lower quality competition.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm honestly not sure how expansion is still on the agenda. I understand the NRL made a profit but honestly, there just isn't enough talent to go around. We have guys like Folau, Sam Burgess, Benji Marshall and SBW leaving the game and weakening the level of quality on offer and now we are looking at adding 1-2 teams that also need to field a side. Either the new sides will be walkovers or they'll pay ridiculously marquee money for 1-2 stars and reduce the quality of all teams, making the NRL and even blander and lower quality competition.

This is exactly right.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Perth should be the only place considered.

100%

There isn't the talent pool to support one more team, let only 2 that would be required to keep an even number of teams. Perth needs to come in and it needs to be at the expense of the sharks, or other useless club.

10000 people for the first match at Suncorp after months with no footy is not an indication that brisbane need another team, not by a long shot

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
NRL needs to get rid the same amount of teams as they add (if not more).

So see ya later Sharks.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Financeguy
  • Gaz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.