NEWS Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett warns NRL rivals off trying to sign Broncos winger Corey Oates

WAYNE Bennett fears the Broncos are in danger of losing Corey Oates, admitting Brisbane cannot win a bidding war as the Bulldogs launched a multimillion-dollar poaching raid on the Queensland Origin star.
Oates could be the second Broncos player to leave Red Hill at the end of the season following prop Korbin Sims’ defection to St George Illawarra.
The Broncos have gone on a retention spree, locking up exciting young prospects Payne Haas (2024), David Fifita (2020), Matt Lodge (2020), Jaydn Su’A (2020), Jamayne Isaako (2022) and Test star Matt Gillett (2022).
LIKES AND DISLIKES: Robert Craddock’s best and worst of the week
COLMAN’S CALL: No need to rush Bennett

3357a609591dc7850926680d97c2693a

Corey Oates slam-dunking the ball over the post during the Brisbane Broncos training session in Brisbane, Monday, July 30. Picture: AAP Image
Sims was the first player to feel the salary cap squeeze and the Broncos are now in danger of losing Oates to a cashed-up rival.
In a spicy prelude to Thursday night’s crucial clash at ANZ Stadium, Canterbury is attempting to lure Oates to Belmore with the carrot of switching to the forward pack.
Oates, 23, cannot finalise his future until he severs ties with his manager next month, opening the door for at least one Sydney club to offer him $700,000-a-season to leave the Broncos.
Oates has developed into a Maroons winger during his 114-game career at the Broncos, but coach Bennett admitted he could lose him.
“The reality is we can’t match the offers for Corey,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail.
“Look, I hope we keep him, but I really don’t know if we can.
“He’s a hell of a winger and he knows that’s his position. It’s become a bit of a game now where Corey and me joke about it (wanting to play back row) but he knows he’s a winger at the Broncos.
“With the amount of players we’ve had to retain, we can’t compete with the offers for Corey, so I guess it’s up to him and whether he wants to stay at our club.”
Oates came through the junior grades as a backrower but has made a name for himself on the wing.
At 192cm and 105kg, Oates has the frame to fire in the forwards, but the Broncos hold fears over his longevity given his injury history.
b79d502814136ff8e6c9dadf87e1c754

Korbin Sims is heading to the Dragons after the end of the 2018 season. Picture: AAP Image
325a7d69518bb54ecfb7651254848326

Corey Oates has been offered $700,000 per season to leave the Broncos. Picture: AAP Image
Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said Oates was one of the NRL’s top wingers, but had to do what was best for his future.
“He’s been here for a while now and is a great character to have around the club,” he said.
“The way he carries the ball at the back of the field is great for us. To have that big winger is really good.
“He’ll have to do a bit more (tackling in the forwards).
“It’s up to him. It’s his decision. It’s up to the individual himself and what he feels comfortable doing.
“There’s no pressure from other guys because it is a business as we know. You’ve got to make sure you’re happy with the way you’re going in life and decision you make.”
After two seasons in Brisbane, Sims said he was “forced out” of the club but was happy to link with brother Tariq at the Dragons next year.
“Unfortunately I was forced out but that’s football,” he said.
“I’m not going to cry about it for too long.
“Pete Nolan (Broncos recruitment boss), the club and Wayne himself made it very clear that they wanted to keep me here and stay here to build on what we’ve been working on.
“Unfortunately the business side of things takes over when stuff like that happens.
“There’s no grudges here. I’ve really loved my time at the club. Hopefully the next five or six weeks leading into the finals is going to be enjoyable.”

He's probably as good as gone.

He isn’t signing until after August because of his manager issues, allegedly.

Plenty of time for Wayne to work his magic, now that the offers are known...

Last edited:
He's genuinely one of our best players, he has single handedly gotten us out of trouble more than any player in the spine this year. But spending 700k on a winger is probably too much, no matter how good.

Kahu to the Titans, Pearson on minimum wage might free up a little bit of cash...
I like Kahu, but need to find a way of topping up Oates

Kahu to the Titans, Pearson on minimum wage might free up a little bit of cash...

Pearson would have to take a wage drop for that. Can't see it happening

Neither Kahu nor Pearson are off contract.

So we would probably need to carry a portion of his relatively small contract on our cap ... we also can't get Pearson to take a pay cut...

Next

Neither Kahu nor Pearson are off contract.

So we would probably need to carry a portion of his relatively small contract on our cap ... we also can't get Pearson to take a pay cut...

Next
Lol, good points... I'm clutching at straws

Wait a sec, how the hell are the Dragons in the race for big dollar signings??? I don't rate the balance of their squad, but they've got some blokes on HUGE dollars...

Wait a sec, how the hell are the Dragons in the race for big dollar signings??? I don't rate the balance of their squad, but they've got some blokes on HUGE dollars...
And they just upgraded our Sims. Granted he was only on 200k with us but he was on 400k with the Knights so he'd be about in the middle I'd reckon. Not sure the drag ons are losing any big salaried players at the end of this year either.

Dogs out of the race, as are Cowboys. Eels, Knights and Dragons left. As well as us, and we'll give him a formal offer today, not as much as the supposed $700k Bulldogs offer, knowing that Oates can't sign until mid-August when his current management deal expires. Will be managed by Gene Miles from then on.

Source: Dobbo.

Dogs are out of the race but have offered him 700k?

Nightingale might be calling it quits, he's been under-rated for his whole career but has been excellent for them, and they know his value. Wouldn't surprise me if he was on $400k+

Of course, that shows us what their plans for Oates would be too...

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.