Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Maranta just seems incredibly slow, that's the only real problem...well that, and backing himself, but they could be connected.

He does seem slow, although all the talk is he used to be a sprint rep or something like that.

FTR I am not going to judge any of our players speed until the have an off/pre-season away from Griffin's Ultimate Bulk 1000 program.

He does seem slow, although all the talk is he used to be a sprint rep or something like that.

FTR I am not going to judge any of our players speed until the have an off/pre-season away from Griffin's Ultimate Bulk 1000 program.

Lol, so much this.

He has scored 14 tries in 42 games. I know he is quality in a lot of areas but most of those tries have just been finishing a back line play.

Reminds me of Darius Boyd.

Apparently Maranta made the QLD and Aus team in 2012 at fullback. I wonder if Maranta had much competition? According to the Team of the Year 2012, Evander Cummins was selected at fullback. After doing some research, I found that he is a highly rated fullback who plays for the Eels. Anyway, Tuivasa-Sheck was also selected on the same team on the wing, so he could have took Maranta's spot (he wasn't selected in the team at another position)
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl...-lachlan-maranta/story-e6frfgbo-1226498939052

I wonder if Cummins will be the dark horse at fullback for the Eels, or is Hopoate definitely playing there? What about Reece Robinson too? He was decent for the Raids, his defence was a liability though.

Also, about Joe Burgess, apparently he's already signed with the Roosters. I can't really see him getting much game time though as he's stuck behind Ferguson and Tupou. However, it seems odd that he hasn't been confirmed as one of the Roosters buys for next year. Maybe they were waiting for Ferguson to be allowed to play again and now that he is, haven't followed up with him. However, even if he hasn't been signed already, we already chose Eden over him, so id'e wait and see how he goes first.
Wigan ace Burgess set for shock Sydney switch | Super League | Zero Tackle

Apparently Maranta made the QLD and Aus team in 2012 at fullback. I wonder if Maranta had much competition? According to the Team of the Year 2012, Evander Cummins was selected at fullback. After doing some research, I found that he is a highly rated fullback who plays for the Eels. Anyway, Tuivasa-Sheck was also selected on the same team on the wing, so he could have took Maranta's spot (he wasn't selected in the team at another position)
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl...-lachlan-maranta/story-e6frfgbo-1226498939052

I wonder if Cummins will be the dark horse at fullback for the Eels, or is Hopoate definitely playing there? What about Reece Robinson too? He was decent for the Raids, his defence was a liability though.

Also, about Joe Burgess, apparently he's already signed with the Roosters. I can't really see him getting much game time though as he's stuck behind Ferguson and Tupou. However, it seems odd that he hasn't been confirmed as one of the Roosters buys for next year. Maybe they were waiting for Ferguson to be allowed to play again and now that he is, haven't followed up with him. However, even if he hasn't been signed already, we already chose Eden over him, so id'e wait and see how he goes first.
Wigan ace Burgess set for shock Sydney switch | Super League | Zero Tackle

Cummins is actually playing for Redcliffe this year. He was a standout for St. George in the u20's but unfortunately for him he was seen as being too small

Cummins is actually playing for Redcliffe this year. He was a standout for St. George in the u20's but unfortunately for him he was seen as being too small

Someone get Hook on the blower...

5492031693_c905a31376_z.jpg

Did Hook have final say on beefing the players up or did Corvo?

I'm just wondering if Corvo agreed to it because he thought it was best or because he had no choice..

Last edited:
Did Hook have final say on beefing the players up or did Corvo?

I'm just wondering if Corvo agreed to it because he thought it was best or because he had no choice..

Corvo's first year here was last year. The beefcake program had been happening well before him. Going by the fact that Corvo's previous post was Melbourne and is the trainer with the Kangaroos, I'm guessing the extreme weight gain program was not his idea

He is at Redcliffe but size isn't the reason, Banaghan got a release for him from his last year of his contract when they knew his path was blocked by Dugan and Beale.

I'm going to admit I was wrong (again) and throw a bit of love out to an unlikely player. Todd Lowrie.

A couple of years ago when the Broncos played the Warriors in a televised pre-season trial, T-Low stood out. Not because he was anything special, though he did play big minutes and at the time I had half of a Fantasy hat on and his workload intrigued me. But because he was a grubby dog. The cheap shots, aggression and manipulation applied to players when they'd already submitted was almost disturbing. Josh Reynolds-like. I'm not sure if it was what he was instructed to, or if he was trying to make a name for himself in a new team. Though looking back, it was most likely a Storm hangover - and shows once again by how well they are able to visually conceal it when there are 3 or 4 in a tackle, and that what Bellamy coaches his players to do is bordering on criminal assault.

When he signed for the Broncos I was not pleased. At the time though I could not fault the club - IIRC one of his immediate family members needed long-term medical treatment in Brisbane, so he was able to be signed for minimal dollars. And with the number of rep-level back-rowers we had at the time, depth was handy. Though really, I expected him to be exposed as nothing more than a decent-minute athlete with a fondness for cheap shots. I was wrong. While I haven't seen anything in his actual football ability to rate him, as a person, specifically how he's conducted himself on the field as an ambassador for the Broncos has been refreshing. He has clearly gutsed it out on the training paddock, as only someone would if the wellbeing of a family member depended on them being a useful member of the team. And that has translated to a player on-field that has shown more heart, determination, and integrity than many players on four times his salary. I'm not suggesting at all that he's surplus to requirements yet, but that may change as the season progresses. But if he never plays another game for us, I won't be sad because we need him to help us win, but because the game needs players who respect what the game has given them, are grateful for the opportunities a club has presented, and are willing to give 110% for a cause that is bigger than themself, their pay packet, and their ego. And it's those players that I want in a Broncos jersey.

He is at Redcliffe but size isn't the reason, Banaghan got a release for him from his last year of his contract when they knew his path was blocked by Dugan and Beale.

Thats true however doubts over his size was always something that held him back before Dugan even arrived, same as Kodi Nikorima now he has talent but his size makes us all doubt his chances of being a NRL regular

Thats true however doubts over his size was always something that held him back before Dugan even arrived, same as Kodi Nikorima now he has talent but his size makes us all doubt his chances of being a NRL regular

Surely as fans of a club that once had Alfie running around, we shouldn't be doubting size.

Size is always going to play a role, but the difference is that Alf played well in spite of it and had championship characteristics.

I don't know if the same can be said for Nikorima, although in the fullback position, it isn't that important but I don't know if Kodi has the disicpline required in that position. The Broncos Under 20s resembled the first grade side in a lot of respects. Namely, their over-reliance on the second man play to score points and there were multiple occasions where Kodi needed to spread the ball, but instead, took the wrong option and ultimately cost Brisbane the game.

Then there is his defence at the back, which is almost the bread and butter for that position and you can rarely be too forgiving at first grade level. Unfortunately, there were many instances where Kodi would lose the ball or wouldn't be able to make the tackle despite having ample opportunity to do so. I don't think fullback is really in his DNA - he's a running five eighth who doesn't have enough ability to make it at a first grade level.

I think he'd be handy for a couple of games, which is why I suggested him as Barba's replacement last season, but long term he has the makings of a ISC player.

Personally, I'd be happy to give Nikorima a start at the back. Remember Karmichael Hunt? He turned out pretty good from what I remember. Giving our youngsters a taste of first grade used to be one of our strengths. It ground to a halt last year.

I'm not discounting him for his defense. In case any of you slept through the back half of season 2014 the defense of our first grade side was pretty ordinary as well. We conceded 20-30 points a game. Go watch that final against the Cowboys - if we're giving players an opportunity based on defense none of them would be picked.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Mr Fourex
  • Hurrijo
  • Organix
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.