Broncos release Caleb Timu

sounds like the deal has been done, must be good dough to go play for that horrible franchise

Really dissapointed. Was pumped to see him rolling off our bench!

more disappointed how shit the reds are going lol

but yeah something had to give with all the fwd stockpiling we had going on.. and surely it wont be the end of the exodus. wether its glenn or gillett, natutal attrition only sees parker and thaiday winding up which may not be for 2 or 3 seasons.. will take some A.Gee like work to keep most of the remaining talent even if this true

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=882d40577dd33cd5268a6d2b12463f31-1460079653

BRONCOS prodigy Caleb Timu has been poached by the Queensland Reds who have snared a bruising forward likened to Gorden Tallis.

News Corp can reveal Timu will put pen to paper with the Reds within days and could be wearing their jersey within a fortnight.

Timu, 22, is highly rated at Red Hill. As a teenager he was the best backrower in his age group but left the club to do a two year Mormon mission.

He returned this year and while he impressed in trial matches has been unable to crack the NRL team.

Timu will leave Brisbane with the club’s best wishes as he will be playing first grade at the Reds well before he would at the Broncos.

He is likely to play outside centre at the Reds where he can use his athletic 110 kilogram frame to batter opponents.

Brisbane are yet to formally grant Timu a release but it is expected to come next week and he will continue to play for Intrust Super Cup side Souths Logan this weekend.

Timu is close with fellow Missionary Will Hopoate.

The Ipswich raised forward detailed his Mission work to News Corp earlier this year.

His proudest moments were helping drug abusers overcome their addictions, heavy work for a man just out of his teens.

“The mission was a goal I had since I was young because I wanted to sacrifice to help other people,” Timu said.

“It taught me to think about others. It changed my outlook on people and I realised everyone has a purpose and I needed to be more selfless.

“We have restrictions to help us focus. I wasn’t allowed to watch television (and) only was able to email my family once a week and call twice a year.”

good on him tho, wish him the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Its sucks to see players leave, but you gotta take an opportunity if you can. We've still got TPJ, who is apparently just as, if not more talented?

Pretty sure Timu was on a 2nd tier contract, so losing him doesn't free up anything.. Just means we'll have another slot in the 2nd tier salary cap for someone.

I'm pissed off about this. Why bother to sign with us if he was only going to stay 5 minutes. It feels like we have paid him to use our gym and trainers to get ready for a rugby career. Players come and go and usually I appreciate their efforts for us and wish them well but not this time. Thanks for nothing and don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out pretty much sums it up for me. Very disappointed.

I'm pissed off about this. Why bother to sign with us if he was only going to stay 5 minutes. It feels like we have paid him to use our gym and trainers to get ready for a rugby career. Players come and go and usually I appreciate their efforts for us and wish them well but not this time. Thanks for nothing and don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out pretty much sums it up for me. Very disappointed.

We really don't know how it went down..

For all we know he could've asked Wayne to be upfront with him about his chances of playing first grade for the Broncos within the next couple of years, and I doubt Wayne would lie to him, he's well down the pecking order as far as I can tell. Ese'ese, Pangai, Arrow, Boyce are probably all ahead of him.

lets be honest here, he wont accomplish much in union and most likely end up in france or japan in two years time

Disappointed to lose him. Disagree that arrow, boyce, Pangai and Eseese were ahead of him too. They are not second row packages in my opinion. Maybe arrow could be but he wouldnt be ahead of Timu atm. Timu was close to ready for first grade but being held up with current top grade roster. He will go good at the reds. Good luck to him. Great young man too.

Disappointed to lose him. Disagree that arrow, boyce, Pangai and Eseese were ahead of him too. They are not second row packages in my opinion. Maybe arrow could be but he wouldnt be ahead of Timu atm. Timu was close to ready for first grade but being held up with current top grade roster. He will go good at the reds. Good luck to him. Great young man too.

In what world is Arrow not ahead of Timu at the moment? He's literally averaging 210 metres and 45 tackles a game over the last fortnight.

In what world is Arrow not ahead of Timu at the moment? He's literally averaging 210 metres and 45 tackles a game over the last fortnight.

very different players, arrow is a toiler who will tackle and do work but he cant run lines or break a game open.
timu has ridiculous footwork and line running, and he can break a game wide open.
i would prefer timu over arrow but thats just my opinion.

very different players, arrow is a toiler who will tackle and do work but he cant run lines or break a game open.
timu has ridiculous footwork and line running, and he can break a game wide open.
i would prefer timu over arrow but thats just my opinion.

As you said, they're different players. I think what Jai brings is far more valuable (Someone who can play in the middle for big minutes, make plenty of metres and tackles) than someone like Caleb, who is a skilful backrower, but they're relatively common in this day and age. I don't think he's going to be one of those players where in 5 years we're like "Wow, we really fucked up by letting him leave"

Yeah was just my opinion mate. I think Jai is good at what he does, but disagree that skilful backrowers are realitively common and think we need more of them especially with game changing re. Speed and interchange. Jai is averaging fantastic metres and is a worker no doubt, but wouldnt pick him for second row over Timu thats all.

I think Timu needs a lot of work on his defence personally, but i am so disappointed he has gone. He has so much development in him.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Fozz
  • mrslong
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Browny
  • lynx000
  • Crom
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Old Mate
  • ivanhungryjak
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Wild Horse
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.