Broncos rookies/young players

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
we have next to zero support play for our forwards, which is simply insane in 2020 but here we are...

So, PCM would be something to hang your hat on if we had quality and consistent support running off the hip for any offloads..

Some of our forwards have differing skill set but the sum isnt adding up to a whole currently...

i mean, if you put TPJ (who seems to be staying?) in the 8 or 10, and ask him to take at least 2 hit ups per 6 with say Niu, Bird or Milf running off the hip for each of them...then in that structure you certainly want PCM as that equates to more potential TPJ offloads...

but as above, we seemingly have no structure whatsoever, no one knows what they are supposed to do and therefore no metric worthy of the name should be applied to such a mess of a team....

Yep for sure but I really liked what I saw from Niu, he just isn't ready yet unfortunately. I'm also not sure what his best position will be but hopefully fullback. He did quite a bit of support play before running out of gas, which he did pretty quickly for a young back and that is what worries me.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Niu looked fit for what I saw and knew exactly how to be a proper support player, I wasn't a big fan of his pass first mentality though which actually cost us a few tries when he could of ran himself, but for someone his age he looks very promising.

He was playing centre in QLD cup wasn't he?
From what I've seen give him a full season in QLD cup next year at fullback and he will blitz the competition ready for 1st grade the year after.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
His body couldn't handle running for a bus apparently, let alone at Fullback.

At least he'd tackle it, and not slide under it.

Just what we need at FB

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Post contact metres are only important when tied to either a line break or offload. That is why no roosters forward had more than 58. They are extremely well coached and know the importance of speed and getting to the next tackle as soon as possible. Slow dragged out post contact metres just help to give time for the defence to reset.

It is important that the next coach understands modern game philosophy and drill these basic responsibilities. Bellamy and Robinson are so good at getting there players to play the game right.

Our pack has been poor this year but hopefully a strong coach can fix them.

That's actually a very good point.

There's an argument that pre-contact metres are more significant. I meant it in the context of effort and what if ... what if there was an offload, and what if there was support play.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Some posters won't like to hear you speak ill of the former captain, who is going great guns don't you know?

Fair point. Very busy showing what slide defence means.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yep for sure but I really liked what I saw from Niu, he just isn't ready yet unfortunately. I'm also not sure what his best position will be but hopefully fullback. He did quite a bit of support play before running out of gas, which he did pretty quickly for a young back and that is what worries me.

As posted above, I understand he was a good centre. Maybe that's what we need to replace Staggs when goes to lock, given Carrigan looks like moving to FB.

Last edited:
Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
couldn't do worse than Boyd
Some posters won't like to hear you speak ill of the former captain, who is going great guns don't you know?
giphy.gif

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
As posted above, I understand he was a good centre. Maybe that's what we need to replace Staggs when goes to lock, given Carrigan looks like moving to FB.

Blow it up and go full Seibold next year:

1. Carrigan (c)
2. Bullemor
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Riki
6. Croft
7. TPJ
8. Niu
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Kennar
12. Milford
13. Kahu

15. Issako
18. Oates
21. Coates
20. Alfie

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
Blow it up and go full Seibold next year:

1. Carrigan (c)
2. Bullemor
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Riki
6. Croft
7. TPJ
8. Niu
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Kennar
12. Milford
13. Kahu

15. Issako
18. Oates
21. Coates
20. Alfie
I like Kahu at 13, good defender ya know

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
reckon we wont really be able to get anyone we need from the player market by the time the new CEO/Coach is announced...

Certainly, with a abundance of younger NRL players now in our ranks i think it will be a good idea to run it back next season and with the lower grades able to play then we can really make those long term decisiosn on these guys..

When Niu broke through i was thinking this; what a shame we didnt have ISC cup available so we could ask Niu to demonstrate a few more aspects of his game prior to graduating into the top team.

Instead he had to learn on the run in the worst circumstances possible...

For me, its very difficult to say one way or the other if the half dozen guys we debuted this season are long term answers or not...

Lets hope we can do that next season..

Active Now

• Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.