Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need him this year. I like the idea of keeping him as he's in the same boat as Milford in that he's playing for a contract. He cannot afford to sulk and I don't believe he'd give anything less than his best regardless.

His tight defence, astute reading of the threat level, maturity and experience are all needed. If he has a good season he might gain either an extension with us or receive a decent offer.

If I were KW if call him in and say he can leave if he wants but:

1. St Merge pick up his full contract, compensate us for the money we have spent on him this season, and they get us an ok from the NRL to spend his whole contract value (including what we have spent already) under the cap for this season;

2. His manager arranges a player swap (give him a list) on terms we like.

Make him do the work if he wants out....

And tell him if kicks stones you’ll send him to the dirt trackers for year and ban him from training with first grade.

ps if he wants a new contract now he can have a contract with the company who cleans the dunnies in the clubhouse....

Accommodating Macca's request is the type of player-friendly move that Bennett would likely approve (similar to the Ash Taylor scenario). It can, of course, come back to bite you (just like releasing Ash did), but its the type of classy, moral, empathetic moves that show the players that its not just all a business, fosters loyalty and inspires confidence in the remaining playing group to adopt the same culture and treat their relationship with the Broncos as more than just a business transaction. Is that culture building move worth the loss of that player? It's hard to measure, but it's the typical old fashioned approach that Wayne has taken over his career - treating the players as young men, not just commodities. The key criteria here is that with Wayne, his team was always in a position where they could grant these requests and it would have little instant impact on the team.

Fast forward to 2021 though and we don't have that luxury anymore. Like it or not, we saw last year that we do in fact need Macca and releasing him would instantly hurt the team. The current crop of players compared to years past are also so engrained with the mentality of 'its just a game' / 'its just a job' that it's more doubtful such a move would change the culture, galvanise the group and pay the same dividends this ploy would have in past decades.

Macca is a loyal servant of the club, a dedicated, hard-working, no-nonsense player who has given 100% every time he's pulled on the Broncos jersey. The Broncos of yesteryear under Wayne would probably have liked the opportunity to allow him to secure his playing future now... But Wayne isn't at the helm anymore and we're not a perennial top 6 team anymore...

The only way I would let this happen is if st George pick up FULL freight & Melbourne release b.Smith.
Highly unlikely imo, but I’d be more then happy for the above for the above to go ahead.

Accommodating Macca's request is the type of player-friendly move that Bennett would likely approve (similar to the Ash Taylor scenario). It can, of course, come back to bite you (just like releasing Ash did), but its the type of classy, moral, empathetic moves that show the players that its not just all a business, fosters loyalty and inspires confidence in the remaining playing group to adopt the same culture and treat their relationship with the Broncos as more than just a business transaction. Is that culture building move worth the loss of that player? It's hard to measure, but it's the typical old fashioned approach that Wayne has taken over his career - treating the players as young men, not just commodities. The key criteria here is that with Wayne, his team was always in a position where they could grant these requests and it would have little instant impact on the team.

Fast forward to 2021 though and we don't have that luxury anymore. Like it or not, we saw last year that we do in fact need Macca and releasing him would instantly hurt the team. The current crop of players compared to years past are also so engrained with the mentality of 'its just a game' / 'its just a job' that it's more doubtful such a move would change the culture, galvanise the group and pay the same dividends this ploy would have in past decades.

Macca is a loyal servant of the club, a dedicated, hard-working, no-nonsense player who has given 100% every time he's pulled on the Broncos jersey. The Broncos of yesteryear under Wayne would probably have liked the opportunity to allow him to secure his playing future now... But Wayne isn't at the helm anymore and we're not a perennial top 6 team anymore...
Good post, however look at Bellamy and the storm. They wouldn’t budge on releasing any players without gaining something in return, and I’ve never heard players talk bad about Melbourne’s culture.

Melbourne have built a culture on destroying entitlement. What the club and coach says, goes and all players buy in.

I feel for Macca, he probably deserves to be able to sure up his future but a line needs to be drawn in the sand about the club no longer being pushovers, and it needs to be extended to players dragging out contracts. I’d make Andrew stay unless st George offer a worthwhile player swap and full contract value. I’d also give Staggs, Coates, Riki, Piakura, and Dearden until round 1 before pulling their contract offers.

I’d also give Staggs, Coates, Riki, Piakura, and Dearden until round 1 before pulling their contract offers.
I would be cautious of doing that too soon. Setting a deadline i support, but before round 1, we could very much end up with egg on our face.

The tigers did this (setting a deadline far too early in negotiations) with tedesco, moses, woods and brooks and they lost 3 of the 4 and did not have other options to fill those spots capabley). We now see that the tigers are in a place where players do not want to go unless paid massive overs

Last edited:
Honestly I'd be happier with a rotation of Turpin and Paix then Turpin and Macca, his speed is non existent and hes just a tackling machine these days. Turpin has proven he can be a match winner in multiple positions and Paix will only get better this season. I wouldn't be mad if he left as long as we're not paying for it.

Last edited:
I'm very wary of that. Paix needs time to play ISC and develop. If Paix gets injured Turpin has question marks at best as an 80 minute hooker, if Turpin gets injured no way we're going to enjoy Paix playing 80. Last year our defence was absolutely horrific and Macca does a fair job holding the middle together. Short of it allowing us to get a better 9 for this year and beyond there's no benefit at all in letting Andrew walk.

Good post, however look at Bellamy and the storm. They wouldn’t budge on releasing any players without gaining something in return, and I’ve never heard players talk bad about Melbourne’s culture.

Melbourne have built a culture on destroying entitlement. What the club and coach says, goes and all players buy in.

I feel for Macca, he probably deserves to be able to sure up his future but a line needs to be drawn in the sand about the club no longer being pushovers, and it needs to be extended to players dragging out contracts. I’d make Andrew stay unless st George offer a worthwhile player swap and full contract value. I’d also give Staggs, Coates, Riki, Piakura, and Dearden until round 1 before pulling their contract offers.

You're exactly right, but the Melbourne culture is, and always has been, from that of the Broncos.

The Broncos were the powerhouse, elite club... well run and legendary and so beloved by players that you'd take less money to be part of something special, knowing you'd be taken care of regardless of what happens.

Melbourne have always been clinical, methodical, bend-the-rules, win-at-all-costs, cold, hard calculated and ruthless machine built around winning and nothing more - using players like gears in a machine.

The age of the clubs like the Broncos of old is gone unfortunately. Like with so many things, what worked back then just isn't feasible in today's world. It seems Broncos know this and are starting to adapt to shift to the Melbourne approach... which absolutely suits today's NRL and its mercenary playing groups... and that means playing hardball with Macca.

I think its the right approach, and I think they're on the right path. Just interesting to see this one transaction is really a microcosm of the switch our team is undergoing.

Can't imagine he'll uproot to a different state for 7 months but I'd be all for it.
Macca took up his option. He is owed nothing and certainly not an extension. He goes with full cap for this year being removed. St George to cover what has been paid and the difference. If not the difference then he takes a pay cut to get the move he wants. You can't take up the option then make moves to negotiate out of it it's bad faith just like Bird. If he stays he shouldn't play first grade. I don't think he is in our best 17 anyway.

I'm afraid we aren't in the position to power play these players . All are great talents and need to be handled in an appropriate manner, sure don't let them take the piss but to slap ultimatums on them is risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.