Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Rightly or wrongly there are a number of awkward situations at the club.

Farnworth re-signs with promises of a shot at fullback but then the club signs Walsh

TMM wanting to stay but not getting an offer

Turpin who is very close with other players being pushed out (may explain his return to first grade)

Kennedy not getting minutes/not getting an extension

Gamble not having a place in the team

Paix being dropped due to defence but no one getting dropped after losing by 50+

Walters being the only spine player not named Reynolds or Mam who hasn’t experienced being dropped

Tesi being dropped (there were rumours of him wanting to leave previously for being dropped)

Haas wanting out

Cobbo sitting out

Haas v Kelly / Flegler v Riki

Riki spraying Billy
Regarding the Riki spray, I feel like he should have been ready for the offload. We were playing desperate footy, rightly or wrongly. The pass wasn't great but it was obviously coming and Riki should have put his hand up and apologised for not being ready for it.

It might look like nepotism, but we don't really need any more excuses to drop Riki. His errors have been much more detrimental than Billy's recently and if anyone deserves a spray it's Riki. It might seem like nepotism, but he should be dropped this week for spraying his own team mate after he's made so many errors.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Regarding the Riki spray, I feel like he should have been ready for the offload. We were playing desperate footy, rightly or wrongly. The pass wasn't great but it was obviously coming and Riki should have put his hand up and apologised for not being ready for it.

It might look like nepotism, but we don't really need any more excuses to drop Riki. His errors have been much more detrimental than Billy's recently and if anyone deserves a spray it's Riki. It might seem like nepotism, but he should be dropped this week for spraying his own team mate after he's made so many errors.
I agree. I was just speculating on situations that may rub players the wrong way - if they were mature adults none of what I mentioned would be an issue.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I had Alby as my first choice halves partner to ARey at the start of 22, before he took a liking to Hass' shoes...then Ezra burst onto the scene.
Id be willing to throw another year at Alby in case of long-term injury to Ezra or ARey.
Im happy for Billy to be our 14 for now...even if that's him starting for the first 20 for Paix...then he's on the bench as needed to cover halves/hooker inuries.

Hoeter and Arthars are probably both not needed...as they are both middle-age backup options. Perhaps another year for Hoeter until we know for sure about the new crop coming through?

I'm okay with extending Albert, but I can't see him getting many games unless we use him off the bench as a utility. But that would require us finding an 80 minute capable hooker (for another discussion).

My latest thoughts on Billy is we should cut him loose, no matter the money. Obviously, his father cannot be expected to be impartial - which is perfectly normal - and that's already been discussed to death.

The problem will Billy is he's not a good enough to be our starting hooker. He can do the job, but all he does is shovel the ball, tackle to specification, and make the odd kick that never amounts to anything. He's bog average and we'll always be bog average with him as our hooker. Not bad. Not good. Bog average.

Interchange is even worse. We need a hooker who can relieve some pressure off Reynolds, so the opposition doesn't expect him to make every play, take every kick. We need a thinking hooker who can play more than 40 minutes. Billy isn't that. Everyone is pretty much on this page now.

So why not run him off the bench? Because he brings no spark. He's no use against a tired attack. He just goes through the motions. And ideally, you want a slippery 14 who can fill in at 6/7 should one of your halves get injured. Then your 80 minute hooker will have to play 80 minutes, or someone like Hetherington or Gamble can fill in the dummy half role. Which doesn't have to be a complicated role. If you're not expected to be the NRL's leading tacklebot, hooker can be one of the simplest jobs in the team. Just shovelling the ball on to a decent half will get you through the game - in a pinch. It's not ideal, but you can wing it in an emergency.

On the other hand, the halves are crucial. If you sub a bog average half in from interchange, you will probably lose the game. Especially if you're teaming up with a rookie like Ezra. Billy can play 5/8 sure. But he is possibly the worst half we've seen at the club, maybe ever. He's not even Brodie Croft. I think even Jake was better there and that's not saying much.

These stats don't tell the whole story, but they'll do. He's played 5/8th for us 7 times this season, for 1 win. Thankfully his father stopped picking him there, but all the way through he insisted that's where he wanted to play.

Cowboys trial: loss
Titans trial: draw
Rabbitohs: win
Warriors (replaced Albert Kelly from bench): loss
Roosters: loss
Panthers: loss
Eels (replaced Adam Reynolds from bench): loss

So no, he's not good enough as a "utility" if you expect your utility to be able to cover the halves as well.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'm okay with extending Albert, but I can't see him getting many games unless we use him off the bench as a utility. But that would require us finding an 80 minute capable hooker (for another discussion).

My latest thoughts on Billy is we should cut him loose, no matter the money. Obviously, his father cannot be expected to be impartial - which is perfectly normal - and that's already been discussed to death.

The problem will Billy is he's not a good enough to be our starting hooker. He can do the job, but all he does is shovel the ball, tackle to specification, and make the odd kick that never amounts to anything. He's bog average and we'll always be bog average with him as our hooker. Not bad. Not good. Bog average.

Interchange is even worse. We need a hooker who can relieve some pressure off Reynolds, so the opposition doesn't expect him to make every play, take every kick. We need a thinking hooker who can play more than a half. Billy isn't that. Everyone is pretty much on this page now.

So why not run him off the bench? Because he brings no spark. He's no use against a tired attack. He just goes through the motions. And ideally, you want a slippery 14 who can fill in at 6/7 should one of your halves get injured, and your 80 minute hooker will have to play 80 minutes, or someone like Hetherington or Gamble can fill in the dummy half role. Which doesn't have to be a complicated role. If you're not expected to be the NRL's leading tacklebot, hooker can be one of the simplest jobs in the team. Just shovelling the ball on to a decent half will get you through the game - in a pinch.

But the halves are. If you shove a bog average half in from interchange, you will probably lose the game. Especially if you're teaming up with a rookie like Ezra. Billy can play 5/8 sure. But he is easily the worst half we've seen at the club, maybe ever. He's not even Brodie Croft.

These stats don't tell the whole story, but they'll do. He's played 5/8th for us 7 times this season, for 1 win:

So no, he's not good enough as a "utility" if you expect your utility to be able to cover the halves as well.
I can understand why you're saying this but the reason he's in the team is because everyone playing the same position is bad, unfit or far worse. There's no answers in your post. Paix is obvious, but we need someone to replace him and that person, at this point, could only be Walters. I'd be interested to see who is (or could be) a better option.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
In the players defence, imagine being dealt a spray and being called soft after there was literally no players left on the bench due to injuries and the guy yelling at you is a below average coach who picks brain dead team lists

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
In the players defence, imagine being dealt a spray and being called soft after there was literally no players left on the bench due to injuries and the guy yelling at you is a below average coach who picks brain dead team lists
Would make sense if it was a one off, but they got 60 put on them the week before. Soft.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Su'a would be wonderful, we need a hitman in the forward pack.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
We need experience. As I posted before, even the gun young players take between 50 to 150 games to really hit consistency and peak professionalism. We can’t just keep cycling new raw talent into the squad. We either need to stick with the players we have until they reach that stage of their careers or upgrade them in regards to experience.

I rate Robati but you would take Su’a all day over him. The guys played 100 first grade games, 4 origins and 2 international matches.
Hopefully Reynolds will be planting seeds everywhere to get Sua. Know each other’s game from south’s and sua would be Reynolds’ body guard. Robati should be on the bench and riki either traded to the dragons or back to qcup to improve his game.

MrRobot

MrRobot

NYC Player
Jul 21, 2017

Would make sense if it was a one off, but they got 60 put on them the week before. Soft.
Yep. Would also make sense if the bulk of the playing group hadn't regularly conceded 50-60 under the previous coach too (who was actually below average). Kevvie's strength may not be team list Tuesday, but he does know how to win. Most of this group have won nothing yet.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Yep. Would also make sense if the bulk of the playing group hadn't regularly conceded 50-60 under the previous coach too (who was actually below average). Kevvie's strength may not be team list Tuesday, but he does know how to win. Most of this group have won nothing yet.
This needs to be drilled into these guys. Sure the whole "it's your turn now" and all that was this year's motto. Perhaps next year's can be "you might've made the NRL but you've won nothing yet bar the spoon". Might help with some humility and perspective if indeed the reports of the lads getting ahead of themselves is true. Still a fucking long way to the top from where they're at now.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

Interchange is even worse. We need a hooker who can relieve some pressure off Reynolds, so the opposition doesn't expect him to make every play, take every kick. We need a thinking hooker who can play more than 40 minutes. Billy isn't that. Everyone is pretty much on this page now.

So why not run him off the bench? Because he brings no spark. He's no use against a tired attack. He just goes through the motions. And ideally, you want a slippery 14 who can fill in at 6/7 should one of your halves get injured. Then your 80 minute hooker will have to play 80 minutes, or someone like Hetherington or Gamble can fill in the dummy half role. Which doesn't have to be a complicated role. If you're not expected to be the NRL's leading tacklebot, hooker can be one of the simplest jobs in the team. Just shovelling the ball on to a decent half will get you through the game - in a pinch. It's not ideal, but you can wing it in an emergency.

On the other hand, the halves are crucial. If you sub a bog average half in from interchange, you will probably lose the game. Especially if you're teaming up with a rookie like Ezra. Billy can play 5/8 sure. But he is possibly the worst half we've seen at the club, maybe ever. He's not even Brodie Croft. I think even Jake was better there and that's not saying much.

These stats don't tell the whole story, but they'll do. He's played 5/8th for us 7 times this season, for 1 win. Thankfully his father stopped picking him there, but all the way through he insisted that's where he wanted to play.

What a load of shit.

Okay so let's take your advice, we cut Billy, haven't offered Turpin a contract, what's your plan here supercoach?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Billy averaged 3.6 missed tackles per game
Paix averaged 1.3

Billy also had the most total misses in the entire team with 80 (Paix 17)

Yet Paix was dropped for his defence while Billy was never dropped

hmmmmm

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Billy averaged 3.6 missed tackles per game
Paix averaged 1.3

Billy also had the most total misses in the entire team with 80 (Paix 17)

Yet Paix was dropped for his defence while Billy was never dropped

hmmmmm
When did Walters say that's the reason Paix has been dropped?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Sure, Kev brings up his defence but he makes it clear in the clip that he wanted him to work on his work around dummy half as well.
I don’t think this was the only time it was mentioned, it was just the only one I could find quickly. Regardless, his work around the ruck is at very least equal to Billy’s but Billy has significantly worse defence.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don’t think this was the only time it was mentioned, it was just the only one I could find quickly. Regardless, his work around the ruck is at very least equal to Billy’s but Billy has significantly worse defence.
We have had these discussions time and time again and this is not new for a coach to play the more experienced player that has a limited ceiling so that the player with more potential can develop correctly.

If his name was Billy Thompson this wouldn’t even be a discussion and if you can’t see that you are fooling yourself.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We have had these discussions time and time again and this is not new for a coach to play the more experienced player that has a limited ceiling so that the player with more potential can develop correctly.

If his name was Billy Thompson this wouldn’t even be a discussion and if you can’t see that you are fooling yourself.
It would be a discussion because Turpin isn’t related to Kev and he shouldn’t get picked over Paix either. Billy Thompson doesn’t get signed from the tigers.

At least Turpin is a good defender and when a team is averaging the most missed tackles per game it’s hard to argue bringing Turpin in to the team - it’s just strange not to do it for the guy who is missing the most tackles week in and week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • The Don
  • Old Mate
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manlyman
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Jeza23
  • Foordy
  • Griffo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jazza
  • Browny
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.