Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Out of that conversation though, and they brushed over it pretty quick, was that if we signed him he might be gettable early and to be honest, that actually does make sense. We can swap Palasia for Fifita and assume significant discussions about cap implications for this year for such a deal as it wouldn’t be a straight swap as only the Roosters get away with stuff like that. Would be great to have Fifita this year.
I hadn’t thought about the Palasia angle. Very interesting

He was laughing when he said whoever does the roster there is an idiot- he knows full well it's his mate Ikin.

He questioned losing a middle and a centre and replacing them with an edge player.

Did he mention TC though? I can't remember but I don' think so.

I was cracking up at 360 last night. Kent is like it’s a bad signing if we get him as it puts our roster out of whack. We’ve just lost a prop and a back so apparently we need to replace them with a prop and a back. ‘Idiots in charge’ is what Kent actually said.

If you don’t know the slightest bit about a topic, just shut up, don’t make yourself look like and idiot and then double down by calling others idiots.

While I agree with all of this, given he had a smile on his face when he said it I actually think the "idiot" part was just a friendly dig at Ikin

I was cracking up at 360 last night. Kent is like it’s a bad signing if we get him as it puts our roster out of whack. We’ve just lost a prop and a back so apparently we need to replace them with a prop and a back. ‘Idiots in charge’ is what Kent actually said.

If you don’t know the slightest bit about a topic, just shut up, don’t make yourself look like and idiot and then double down by calling others idiots.
Come on man, it wasnt that extreme. His comment was that he didnt so much dislike it but he thought it unusual to lose a centre and middle forward and immidiately replace with an edge backrower.

His idiots in charge comment was clearly tongue in cheek about his mate Ikin.

And if Milford was paid 200k instead of 1 million, then the talk around him would have been completely different as well.

the money and his value is the story here ... you can't honestly say he's been worth anywhere near the 1.2 million he's been paid a season by the Titans.

We can't just talk about him being on 600k instead of 1.2 million ... because he's not.

If he was on a 600k pay cheque the narrative would also be completely different because we'd be talking about a current Bronco as opposed to a rival player

BTW, most people are saying to take the risk if we can get him for 650-800k
I'm not talking about the 'story', I was referencing people saying he has been playing shit footy, and is just a bench forward now. I wasn't saying he is worth 1.2m, I even said that in my posts. He was paid extreme overs and got the same treatment that Hunt and Milford got, where people couldn't judge their actual performance without mentioning their salary.

Fifita is getting into his prime, and has a higher ceiling than most of the edge forwards going around. In the right environment, he could be truly freakish.

Out of that conversation though, and they brushed over it pretty quick, was that if we signed him he might be gettable early and to be honest, that actually does make sense. We can swap Palasia for Fifita and assume significant discussions about cap implications for this year for such a deal as it wouldn’t be a straight swap as only the Roosters get away with stuff like that. Would be great to have Fifita this year.

I think it would have to be something worthwhile for the Titans to make it worth it. Because I doubt the Broncos will swallow David Fifita whole salary of 1.2 million this year. I know Kent made the point the Titans could see an upside of losing Fifita because the return on investment hasn't measured up. I'm not so sure. If I was the Titans I wouldn't subsiding $300, 000 of his salary to the Broncos just because Fifita misses his old team.

One of the panelist suggested Fifita next contract would be in the 700k range. But Hooper disagreed suggesting the next contract would be around the 900k mark. Which for some on this forum may be too much to swallow to get Fifita.

I think it would have to be something worthwhile for the Titans to make it worth it. Because I doubt the Broncos will swallow David Fifita whole salary of 1.2 million this year. I know Kent made the point the Titans could see an upside of losing Fifita because the return on investment hasn't measured up. I'm not so sure. If I was the Titans I wouldn't subsiding $300, 000 of his salary to the Broncos just because Fifita misses his old team.

One of the panelist suggested Fifita next contract would be in the 700k range. But Hooper disagreed suggesting the next contract would be around the 900k mark. Which for some on this forum may be too much to swallow to get Fifita.
The $900k is in relation to the Canberra offer... I'm not sure what titans are putting forward, but I'm pretty sure it's less than that.

If Flegler just signed for $800k-$850k... then I think getting Fifita for anything less than that is a good deal.

$900k is a bit steep though.... cant see us going that high and titans may have doubts about giving him that kind of money again.

Backrowers in the Fifita mould can cover middle or centre if needed.
In our case we don't need a centre and if Fifita were to come Riki moves to the middle rotation or Capewell goes to 13 and Patty up front.

Id stick 800k max on Fifita. Only problem is we still don't know if he has a proper work ethic. At this stage in his career he is more of a Dave Taylor mold who can be good on his day but is a massive floater most of the time. Last thing we need is another TPJ on our books holding out for the 1 good game every 10

Backrowers in the Fifita mould can cover middle or centre if needed.
In our case we don't need a centre and if Fifita were to come Riki moves to the middle rotation or Capewell goes to 13 and Patty up front.
Yeah sign Fifita and move Riki to the middle to replace Flegler.. or see if Dragons want him. I like it.

Id stick 800k max on Fifita. Only problem is we still don't know if he has a proper work ethic. At this stage in his career he is more of a Dave Taylor mold who can be good on his day but is a massive floater most of the time. Last thing we need is another TPJ on our books holding out for the 1 good game every 10
The Broncos are a business though and Fifita will get people signing up for memberships and coming to games. That could earn him that extra 100k to make it 900k.. Dunno.. The executives will have to consider that surely?

Fifita needs a half, he's Menzies without Cliff. He isn't smart enough to change his game. His value is out there on the edge, but he has no one to give him the service he needs.

Titans haven't placed anything around him to have success. Foran might help.

I think when he was with us there were reports about him that were similar to Haas... ie. His father had instilled a massive work ethic into him when he was growing up. Had him running distance all the time, etc.

There was also something about him getting to training from Ipswich and then heading back out to school

So I think he is far from lazy in that regard and looks after himself.

I think the lazy calls for Fifita is just a lazy narrative that's been created about him and is more to do with him not looking for the ball.... but these are the same pundits who claim that Ferraris shouldn't be used to do the grunt work.

In that regard it could be in regards to coaching... Beau Fermor doesnt exactly head in field looking for the ball, he just gets better service. Capewell doesnt do grunt work.... none of the Panthers forwards do grunt work, etc.

When Fifita was with us he would create situations for himself by himself (try against dogs?? with him running unders to beat about 8 players and score a try)... he was doing that with the titans as well... they just refuse to give him the ball for some reason.

He was laughing when he said whoever does the roster there is an idiot- he knows full well it's his mate Ikin.

He questioned losing a middle and a centre and replacing them with an edge player.
That is true about him saying it about Ikin, I actually thought that was quite funny.

My issue with that segment is no-one said that if they were to go Fifita it would be to replace one of those players. It is pretty obvious they are not going to market replace Herbie as that replacement will be either Cobbo or Mariner and in terms of a middle they aren’t going to buy a big name middle. It will come from in house or be another Jensen type signing.

My issue is that as much as it pains me to say this, Kent isn’t stupid. He would know this but he says otherwise to push the narrative that they have agreed on which will then be made into a news article by the most useless **** in the journalist game Mark St-fucking John.

The Broncos are a business though and Fifita will get people signing up for memberships and coming to games. That could earn him that extra 100k to make it 900k.. Dunno.. The executives will have to consider that surely?
Fans turn up to our games regardless of who we have
Plus we already have marquee players on our books who sell tickets
We cant afford to fall into the trap of having a top heavy overpaid forward pack again. Pay the spine because they are the ones who win you the games

Fifita needs a half, he's Menzies without Cliff. He isn't smart enough to change his game. His value is out there on the edge, but he has no one to give him the service he needs.

Titans haven't placed anything around him to have success. Foran might help.
Would love to see Fifita running off Mam

Fans turn up to our games regardless of who we have
Plus we already have marquee players on our books who sell tickets
We cant afford to fall into the trap of having a top heavy overpaid forward pack again. Pay the spine because they are the ones who win you the games
Hmmmm I don't agree with that sentiment. We should obviously keep cash reserved in order to hold onto young guns like Mam, Cobbo, Walsh, Mariner, Mozer.. But now that we've lost Flegler and Herbie.. There's noone better to spend our cash on than Fifita..

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Smoothy
10. Taupau
11. Capewell
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan
17. Riki

18. Willison
19. Piakura
20. Bayliss Brow
21. Te Kura
22. Mozer

We'd be able to make more signings to beef up our middle forwards more if we wanted. If Taupau goes well this year I don't see why we couldn't keep him for another.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
  • mrslong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • Maddy
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Browny
  • Crom
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Old Mate
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.