Broncos Sign Jason Demetriou on 3 year deal

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
[h=1]Bennett Names An Assistant Coach[/h]State Championship winner Jason Demetriou will join Wayne Bennett’s NRL staff as an assistant coach for the 2017 pre-season.
Demetriou has experienced a wonderful last few years, capped off by winning the Intrust Super State Championship with the Illawarra Cutters over the Burleigh Bears on NRL Grand Final Day.
He will move from the St George Illawarra Dragons club to the Broncos having previously being based in Queensland.
After a long playing career in England including stints with Wakefield and Widnes, the Sydney-born Demetriou coached the Keighley Cougars.
Back in Australia, he coached the Northern Pride to the 2014 Intrust Super Cup title by winning the Queensland Cup grand final over Easts Tigers.
In 2015 he was on the North Queensland coaching staff, ultimately part of the Cowboys’ golden-point grand final win over the Broncos.
But after impressing again by winning the NSW Cup and the State Championship match over Burleigh – a clash of the NSW and Queensland champions - Demetriou will move to Brisbane to work under Bennett.
"I am very excited for the opportunity the Broncos and Wayne have given me and I look forward to the years ahead,” he said.
“It's a very strong club, with great leaders and a great roster and I look forward to playing my role in that.
“I look forward to my family settling in and making Brisbane our home.
“I'd like to thank my wife Nat and my girls for supporting me and allowing me to follow this path - without their support I wouldn't be here."

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/10/27/bennett_names_his_as.af_news.html

That's good news. Sounds like he is looking forward to being the assistant coach for the broncos as well.

Seems like success has followed him everywhere. Good to have him aboard.

I really hope he can help our halves with their kicking game and control

JD signed up for three years today.

Sorry not quite a week but still well ahead.

Still a bit surprised, I thought either they wouldn't release him knowing they might need him or he'd choose to stay at home and not move again for an assistant role which he's done now twice.

He's a great operator the players will love him and buy into his football.

Oh ok mate. 20 October in the Rumour thread didn't happen. Sweet.

I see, you're one of those people that can't engage in a discussion about the pros and cons of a move.

Nice cheap point scoring but well short- I said a week ago it was done and have nothing but respect for JD. As I have stated even in this thread and the other thread I thought he'd stay and my reasons for him maybe doing it were valid and I know discussed.

Last edited:
i don't know much about this bloke, but his recent record is pretty outstanding.

sounds like a good move by bennett and i feel one that will help to create a great team environment for 2017

Sorry not quite a week but still well ahead.

Still a bit surprised, I thought either they wouldn't release him knowing they might need him or he'd choose to stay at home and not move again for an assistant role which he's done now twice.

He's a great operator the players will love him and buy into his football.
What about his football will they buy into? What are his ideas and philosophies? Seems he does something right..

Dragons supporters are blowing up over this :laugh:

What about his football will they buy into? What are his ideas and philosophies? Seems he does something right..

He teaches well and understands not just football but footballers. He's a coach you get the feeling cares about you and guys like that.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • Totally Unr3al
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.