OFFICIAL Broncos Sourced Player Movement and Confirmed Signings - Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
No doubt looks good, but heard penrith want him to be a lock.

They may do but their salary cap will be squeezed after all their kids performances this year. Burton is apparently a almost done deal to the Dogs. The Dogs are looking like making a number of really good signings for future success in Burton, Flanagan, Cotric and Hetherington, et al.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
They may do but their salary cap will be squeezed after all their kids performances this year. Burton is apparently a almost done deal to the Dogs. The Dogs are looking like making a number of really good signings for future success in Burton, Flanagan, Cotric and Hetherington, et al.

arguably they are pushing the gap between the 2 clubs further away....Barrett is/was the key to Burton pulling up sticks and moving to Belmore.

Again one of the benefits of the Sydney clubs; they have 8 others to poach talent from and those players dont need to move house, pull kids out of school etc....

but I'm sure the clubs big announcement that we are keeping Paul White until January will solve all our issues...

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Serious question - and perhaps I've missed something here that would explain it all, but if Cam Smith does or doesn't play on that obviously impacts the decisions made by Brandon Smith and Harry Grant and their playing futures. What I'm missing here is that even if Cam Smith does decide to hang up the boots and retire, would that not still give the Storm a problem with both Harry Grant and Brandon Smith wanting to play Dummy Half?

It seems to me that if that's genuinely what they both desire then they still can't fit them both even if Cam Smith does retire, so it follows that one of them would be surely be fairly amenable to being lured away regardless of what Cam Smith does?

Even if they both stayed on for next year, their values have likely skyrocketed in the player market already and you'd have to think it was highly unlikely Melbourne would be able to afford to keep them both beyond their current deals?

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Rosters to remain at 30 players next year, salary cap slashed by 10%. Development players will be reduced from 6, to 2-4 instead. @Big Pete can rest easy

Last edited:
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Serious question - and perhaps I've missed something here that would explain it all, but if Cam Smith does or doesn't play on that obviously impacts the decisions made by Brandon Smith and Harry Grant and their playing futures. What I'm missing here is that even if Cam Smith does decide to hang up the boots and retire, would that not still give the Storm a problem with both Harry Grant and Brandon Smith wanting to play Dummy Half?

It seems to me that if that's genuinely what they both desire then they still can't fit them both even if Cam Smith does retire, so it follows that one of them would be surely be fairly amenable to being lured away regardless of what Cam Smith does?

Even if they both stayed on for next year, their values have likely skyrocketed in the player market already and you'd have to think it was highly unlikely Melbourne would be able to afford to keep them both beyond their current deals?

Grant has a release clause that he will activate if smith plays on
B Smith doesn’t but has said he would request a release that Melbourne don’t have to grant if they don’t want to

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017

Exactly what's been going through my head the last few months. My understanding is they both want to be number one hooker. While Smith fills in as lock/front row and does it very well, I'm pretty sure he too has said he wants to be starting hooker.

I think there is some hope we can lure one of them away.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The big problem is they have two gun hookers who both can probably play 80 mins and both want to play hooker. Smith has played in other positions, but he has stated he wants to be a hooker.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Either of them would be nuts to stay and play second fiddle to the other when they are both likely top 3 in their position (assuming Smith is retired).

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Moylan. The dickhead is currently in Byron Bay with Corey Norman. Should be enough of a character reference right there.

****. No thanks. Overrated birds of a feather clearly like to flock together.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
Either of them would be nuts to stay and play second fiddle to the other when they are both likely top 3 in their position (assuming Smith is retired).

Surely Brandon Smith is a lock forward in that Melbourne scheme? Guess its a moot point though if he decides he wants to leave...

But I like him a hell of a lot at lock. if he felt the same it would certainly make accommodating him on the field a lot easier...

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
ill also say id take Finucane if he is the odd man out for Storm to keep both Smith and Grant...

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Surely Brandon Smith is a lock forward in that Melbourne scheme? Guess its a moot point though if he decides he wants to leave...

But I like him a hell of a lot at lock. if he felt the same it would certainly make accommodating him on the field a lot easier...
He's great at lock but he'd be crazy to settle for that when he could be one of the best 9's in the game elsewhere, a position where there's a shortage of guns and arguably the most important on the field

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
It begs an interesting question, who would the Storm choose to keep if they could only have one?

From a Broncos perspective, I think we're more likely to entice Grant. He's a QLD'er (probably grew up watching Lockyer, Parker etc) and we can probably sell him the vision of building our spine around him and Dearden. I think given his age and potential his value is higher on the market and therefore would eliminate a few other clubs from the race to begin with.

I don't exactly know why but I just feel as if getting B Smith to the Broncos would be a harder sell and that he'd be more likely to sign with a Sydney club or the Warriors.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
He's great at lock but he'd be crazy to settle for that when he could be one of the best 9's in the game elsewhere, a position where there's a shortage of guns and arguably the most important on the field

look you are right but, he is a ticking time bomb...bit like Joel Embiid in NBA.

There is a finite amount of time in the game for someone who is so 110% every game....do you trust the club to move him on before the inevitable decline..?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Dragons taking bird on a 2 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Tim K
  • broncoscope
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • lakers133334
  • Huge
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.