VOTE BroncosHQ's Best Ever 17 - Centres

What Is The Greatest Centre Pairing In Broncos History?

• Total voters
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Nominations
Steve Renouf - 1989-1999
Chris Johns - 1988-1996
Justin Hodges - 2000-01, 2005-Present
Michael De Vere - 1997-2004
Brent Tate - 2001-2007
Darren Smith - 1995-1998, 2004-05
Israel Folau - 2009-10
Gene Miles - 1988-1991

Please vote for two of the aforemention players. If you select Others, please list which players you wish to choose.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I made the comment in the fullback thread that it should come down to success in that position.

So my choices are simple, Renouf and Johns.

We won 4 with Renouf, 2 with Johns.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Steve Renouf not an automatic selection would be a crime against humanity, other position is up for debate, I think it's between Chris Johns and Darren Smith personally, both won two premierships at the club and were outstanding centres for the club during their career at the club. Both similar style players so I think I give Darren Smith the edge because he showed outstanding potency in 1998 to equal Steve Renouf's club record of tries scored in a season, to do that is something very special, Both scored 43 tries combined in 1998.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Voted for Steve Renouf and Justin Hodges.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

On one hand, you've got Steve Renouf, one of the most exciting players of his generation who adapted as his body got older and still managed to play his role in the Broncos 3rd and 4th respective premiership.

On the other, there is Justin Hodges, one of the most unique players I've had the pleasure of watching and while I've got my hang-ups about his value in the salary-cap era, I'm still happy to see him out on the field creating what's in-front of him.

This was more difficult than the winger picks, but at the end of the day, I believe these two stand above the rest, all things considered.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Renouf is a no brainer imo, but there are a lot of worthy "second choices", in fact most of them are!
Looking at that list, it's astounding the amount of quality centres we've had at the club!

Toughie, but I went with Hodgo, because when he's on, he's unbeatable, and I cannot erase the 2006 finals games from my mind, even if he played most of them as fullback.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It's probably the toughest so far to be honest, there's perfectly valid arguments for most that played there for any real length of time.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Smith would have been my 2nd choice if he was there longer. Hodges just beats Chris Johns for me.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Renouf and Hodges for me.

I was too young to see Renouf in his prime, but I've seen the highlight reels, read about him, listened to the older generation lavish praise on him - he's one of our greatest.

Hodges on the other hand, I have had the pleasure of seeing. What a career he's had. At his absolute peak he was almost unplayable. His footwork and body strength made him an absolute beast in the centres. He was deceptively quick back in his heyday too, IMO.

One of my all time favourites.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
8 votes for Hodges and 11 for Renouf, I think it's pretty much settled already.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Whilst I'd like to disagree with the majority (I've said it before, I'm edgy), it really is hard to go past Renouf and Hodges.

Gene Miles deserves a special mention, as done Darren Smith and Brent Tate.

We've been blessed with really special talent in the cemtres since the Broncs were born. Lets hope it doesn't disappear with Hodgo's impending retirement.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Agreed.

I'll give it a day, then I'll post up two polls for Five Eighth and Halfback respectively.

Lockyer will NOT qualify for the five eighth poll since he already won the fullback position. I know what Robster said, but that move felt unnecessary. Unless an angry mob gathers, I'll b happy to move on.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wally Lewis
Kevin Walters
Shaun Berrigan
Ben Ikin
Casey McGuire
Corey Norman
Scott Prince
Josh Hoffman
Ben Barba

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Hodges for me, what an absolute gem of a player.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Voted for Steve Renouf and Justin Hodges.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

On one hand, you've got Steve Renouf, one of the most exciting players of his generation who adapted as his body got older and still managed to play his role in the Broncos 3rd and 4th respective premiership.

On the other, there is Justin Hodges, one of the most unique players I've had the pleasure of watching and while I've got my hang-ups about his value in the salary-cap era, I'm still happy to see him out on the field creating what's in-front of him.

This was more difficult than the winger picks, but at the end of the day, I believe these two stand above the rest, all things considered.

This is easy and hard at the same time. It must be Steve Renouf and someone, with several having claims. The part I highlighted BP is one of my pet hates, surely you mean Hodges is a rare talent and has an individual style but there are no degrees of the state of being ' one of a kind '. He is either unique or not. I myself went for Brent Tate with Renouf but thought Johns,Hodges,Smith and DeVere were all outstanding.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I made the comment in the fullback thread that it should come down to success in that position.

So my choices are simple, Renouf and Johns.

We won 4 with Renouf, 2 with Johns.

I like this. My picks are Renouf and Hodges but Johns was a lot closer to those two than people might think. He was a good player.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Agreed.

I'll give it a day, then I'll post up two polls for Five Eighth and Halfback respectively.

Lockyer will NOT qualify for the five eighth poll since he already won the fullback position. I know what Robster said, but that move felt unnecessary. Unless an angry mob gathers, I'll b happy to move on.

I've said it before Pete and I don't want to harp on it but for the people who are ok with this, answer one question:

Is Lockyer a better five-eigth than Kevin Walters?

Best ever means exactly that in my book. The best player in that position. Lockyer should qualify for both.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Lurker
  • Lostboy
  • Fatboy
  • Swordfish
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  • TimWhatley
  • Kev_Guz
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BruiserMk1
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.